Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Surprised Man WoW Losing Subscribers - the beginning of the end?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...sse-Blue-Posts

600k last quarter and another 300k this quarter.

I think we are finally at a time where WoW is getting old. Don't get me wrong, this game has provided me with countless hours of fun, and revolutionized the MMO genre. I think it is and was fully deserving of the popularity and money it made. I just...would like to see something different now. Kinda burned out with taking breaks from the game and having nothing else to go back to but WoW simply because it is the most polished MMO on the market.

I would like for something else to take its place eventually. Although Blizz are working on a new MMO so I guess if anyone can surpass WoW it's the people who created it. Still, once it is something new and fresh idk.

Of course, WoW still makes a god-awful amount of money and maintains its spot as #1. I don't think it will be knocked from that spot anytime soon. But this does speak to the age and longevity of the game. People are becoming bored. Personally, I found the latest expansion mediocre maybe that's why many have left.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Re: WoW Losing Subscribers - the beginning of the end?

Fear not, oh intrepid MMO junkie - Blizzard will soon have your next addiction ready to serve with their upcoming defacto MMO, namely, Diablo III. Seriously, the game might as well be one, considering the online requirement, prohibition of mods and the legalised microtransaction auction house. Unlike Steam at this stage, there won't be an 'offline mode'. Hopefully that changes with all of the negativity they've received on this.

It's a transition period because Electronic Arts are also soon to become fierce competitors for WoW's revenue with The Old Republic. Some players may switch over, others may be content to stick with WoW until Diablo III arrives.

Personally, I've never played WoW and probably won't. Too many great single player games still left to play!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

This proves the theory that the world revolves around me, since I quit wow, countless others follow suit and quit wow.

Blizzard aim to release diablo 3 beta around july 1 and september 30. If we follow Blizzard pattern of beta to release life cycle of 6 months. Diablo 3 will be release around jan 1 and march 31 next year.

The online only requirement is nothing. It will be cracked within few days of release and people can play the game offline. Just like c&c4.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: WoW Losing Subscribers - the beginning of the end?

Yes, I read about you quitting.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
The online only requirement is nothing. It will be cracked within few days of release and people can play the game offline.
That might be true if you're quite happy to break the law and use a crack. Personally, let's hope that we don't have to walk that path in order to play a single player game the way we should be entitled to legally.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Activision Blizzard must be sweating bullets. Consider the following...

11.4 million subscribers @ $15.00 monthly subscription = $171 million per month.

$171 million per month x 12 months = 2 billion and 52 million a year. That's $2,052,000,000.00

* If this keeps up they'll soon have to shut down their research and development office...

Last edited by Albromor; 08-12-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Don't worry about it, since diablo 3 will have RMAH (real money auction house). Activision Blizzard will earn back the money from all those kids using their parents credit card to purchase online stuff.

I got a strange feeling that bobby kotick is behind this idea in order to fleece as much money as possible from the gamers.

Last edited by Kakero; 08-14-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
Don't worry about it, since diablo 3 will have RMAH (real money auction house). Activision Blizzard will earn back the money from all those kids using their parents credit card to purchase online stuff.

I got a strange feeling that bobby kotick is behind this idea in order to fleece as much money as possible from the gamers.
Good points. What amazes me is that in our tight economy the number of gamers that can find the cash to buy non-existent items.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm not sure if that's the beginning of the end, but according to other MMO forums, when a game lets you play free to a certain level it is the beginning of the end. I saw an ad the other day where you can now play WoW free to lvl 20. Oh noes, the fat lady is warming up.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I'm not sure if that's the beginning of the end, but according to other MMO forums, when a game lets you play free to a certain level it is the beginning of the end. I saw an ad the other day where you can now play WoW free to lvl 20. Oh noes, the fat lady is warming up.
Either it is the beginning of the end or Blizzard's nefarious plan to create mind control addiction amongst people who are curious about WoW and when they reach Level 20...

"Must... play... beyond... level... 20... where... is... my... credit... card...?"