Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Re: Torchlight II

Spiritwarrior - Yep I also read in a magazine that a lot of old school games like Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, and even Monkey Island may end up coming back to be used on the ipad and other pads because they could be touchscreen friendly. I hope that happens and not just so I could play them on the ipad, but to have those games maybe get popular again and maybe they will make more of them. I understand technology improving and all that, but I still like the old school style wherein you can pause and/or just have time to think and strategize rather than the real time hurry hurry decide quick type of games that are so popular now. I just loved like, in say, Baldurs Gate, where you could click on each character in a battle, and choose what each one would try, then hit the unpause button and watch and see what transpired. Then, if things looked like they may be going bad, you could pause again and go "hmmmm" and look through all your inventories and take time to pick another strategy, and go for it again. I just enjoy that more and remember battle scenarios that happened better and years later, vs. the real time stuff which happens so fast I cannot savor my own memories anywhere near as much, if that makes sense.

Is a "stylus" one of those pens? I haven't gotten one yet for my ipad. I did order a case with a prop-up that came with free included stuff on ebay, one of which was a pen, but it didn't work, doh! I think you have to have a certain kind. I can see them being handy when playing a game, just to reduce the fingerprinting and to keep the screen cleaner.

Ziroc - I read good things about Dungeon Hunter but when I looked it up I noticed it is not PC compatible, which was too bad.

Still not sure yet if DSIII sucks yet, to me (us) yet. The patches may make a difference. When it comes to our multiplayer game, it is tough to find a decent RPG game that is not a massive multiplayer that we can all play, and also that is PC compatible. So DSIII was really all there was out there new right now. Plus when chatting on a headset, even if we find some feature or scenario sucky in a game, we just rag and laugh about it, so end up still having fun anyway. Also Torchlight II may end up being another possibility in December when it comes out, if we just don't like
DSIII and do not want to finish it. Of course there is still the old Sacred II I suppose, but I recall having trouble getting an available server because they didn't have many.

Next week we will give it our first shot trying DSIII multiplayer so I will be able to give more feedback on how it goes. I've read about people having trouble playing "co-op" private games. I also read someone say to try Tunggle and multiplay it with that, but am totally unfamiliar with what Tunggle is all about and if the free version is do-able with the game or not. Once our experiment is done, and if things work out, I can send you the PC version if you want, I have a big credit on Amazon right now (sent back a defective Kindle a few months ago). Might as though wait first to see if the game is worth it first (I think it will be though once the kinks are worked out).

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah they are those pen thingies. There are tons of generic stylus available in stores and online. May wanna get a semi good one for use with an iPad though. I use one for almost all my tablets and my droid phone. They're handy for precision pointing. I can type way faster with a stylus on a touchscreen keyboard than I can by using my clumsy fingersn (even so, I eventually just got a connectable keyboard as I despise the onscreen ones). You may want to recalibrate your touchscreen for stylus use, otherwise it will still be set up for your hands. Some tablets allow you to make seperate calibration profiles you can switch to when using a stylus or your hands. Something to explore.

Here's a useful link on types of stylus for iPad.
http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/ipad-s...parison/19318/
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah I imagine using a touchscreen keyboard is much easier with a stylus. I will check out your link and maybe someday get a good rated one just so I have it if I want to use one.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I expect you to have every stylus on the market by tomorrow!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post

their fallout addon was a joke--more bugs too..
I think you're being a bit of a harsh man with your comments about Obsidian, Ziroc. They're one of the true stalwarts of the western cRPG (and one of the few that are left who actually cater to roleplayers) and I wholeheartedly support them - even if they do choose to involve themselves in strange marriages by helping to create a game like Dungeon Siege III, which is definitely not a style of game they're known for.

New Vegas does have bugs, yes - but some of this must be forgiven when you consider the wide ambitious nature of what they tried to achieve and think about some of the branching and choices and consequences they tried to implement in that game to make it more reactive to players.
It's poles apart to what Bethesda did and easily much more in tune with the original games, which should be commended.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 07-11-2011 at 08:06 PM.
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #16
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebroDragon View Post
I think you're being a bit of a harsh man with your comments about Obsidian, Ziroc. They're one of the true stalwarts of the western cRPG (and one of the few that are left who actually cater to roleplayers) and I wholeheartedly support them - even if they do choose to involve themselves in strange marriages by helping to create a game like Dungeon Siege III, which is definitely not a style of game they're known for.

New Vegas does have bugs, yes - but some of this must be forgiven when you consider the wide ambitious nature of what they tried to achieve and think about some of the branching and choices and consequences they tried to implement in that game to make it more reactive to players.
It's poles apart to what Bethesda did and easily much more in tune with the original games, which should be commended.
So what you mean is that because it's Obsidian. Any crap they do can be easily forgiven?
Nwn2, Kotor2 and then F:NV are riddled with bugs, take NwN2 for example, even with 10 patches, they still couldn't fully fix the game. Then we have fanboys who say "it's because they are forced to put the game out early by the publishers, they don't have enough time etc etc" But seriously, this kind of excuses are getting old. Then we have alpha protocol whereby it's their very first ip. Even that game also is riddled with bugs. WTF?

It's no coincidence that because of the bugs I could never finish nwn2 or f:nv. Now when ever I read that obsidian is developing a game. I say it's gonna be full of bugs and I say to myself "Stay away from that game!"
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #17
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

*sigh*. No, Kakero, that's not the conclusion I intended at all. Read my post again - I was referring very specifically to New Vegas. Whilst I never encountered any game stopping bugs that you did, I can empathise with what you say about any game that is released in an unfinished state and not just from Obsidian.

However, with New Vegas - given Obsidian's ambitious game design, this was something that I am definitely willing to forgive. They're not simply churning out the same but watered down and streamlined, cinematic nonsense that Bioware is for instance - they're actually making attempts to cater to role-players and to make player reactivity a central part of their design. They're one of the few semi-big budgetted companies left who do this.

It's unfortunate that you've had so many bad experiences with Obsidian games. Me personally - I've finished New Vegas three times with only a minor hassle of disappearing companions that I was able to fix with console commands. I also finished Alpha Protocol three times without any bugs and really liked it. On the whole though, my experience with New Vegas was fantastic. I can't wait until the rest of the DLC comes out to make my fifth character!

However it is a fact that Obsidian - in the mainstream media at least, are known for their difficulties with bugs. It's definitely something they're aware of. Check their forums and read responses to the question of bugs in interviews with the CEO, Feargus Urqhuart to see what I mean.

But to reiterate - some companies, in some specific cases, deserve the benefit of the doubt. I think this is the case for Obsidian and New Vegas. If you can't see it that way, that's fine - but let's try to support the companies left that are making actual RPG's eh?
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 07-12-2011 at 02:58 AM.
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 AM   #18
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Why yes, obsidian is definitely aware of the bugs problem, but what are they doing about it? Are they doing something to address the problem? Did they hire a better quality control team? Or do they even have a quality control team in the first place?

How long can you give them the benefit of the doubt? Ever heard of the term "Vote with your money/purse?" Sooner or later people will have to put their foot down and say "Hey! I keep on supporting your company by buying your games. And yet your games' quality aren't getting any better. I ain't buying anymore!"

I suddenly remember this quote "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!"
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

What they did to NWN's, my god.