Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Question Mark Looking for input.... home theater

I'm in the process of remodeling my basement and am planning on a home theater-type setup... projector on the wall instead of a TV.

However, I've quickly decided I don't know as much about that kind of thing as I'd like, and rather than trade a lot of money for a lot of regret, I thought I'd seek out some input, hoping that *someone* I know is more knowledgeable about this stuff than I am.

Basic info...

The projector will be ceiling-mounted in a roughly 14x28 foot room, probably about half-way. It will project on to a 14 foot wall. There are no windows in this room, and I've got three different light fixtures stationed in the room, all of which are operated separately.

Right now, the ceiling is awaiting drywall, so I can move anything anywhere with little difficulty.

My plan is to mount the projector about 15 feet from the wall. I held up another projector in that area, and it fits well (size-wise).

Inputs to this projector will be:

1. DVD/Blue Ray
2. HD Cable TV
3. Computer (might as well)
4. Miscellaneous devices (camcorder, etc.)

I want to make my life as simple as possible (ha!), which probably means that I will have some sort of switching box connected to the projector, and all the other stuff will connect to it. Of course, I could be wrong... wouldn't be the first time.

I have not factored in sound yet... I have no idea what I might be interested in there, other than having speakers... somewhere

Soooooo..... before I paint myself into a corner, any thoughts, suggestions, or directions to a place where I can do this right?

Many thanks!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Looking for input.... home theater

Just wondering, why are you decided on a projector as opposed to a TV? I have friends who get fixated on this idea and I try talk them out of it as much as I can. One got it, and he didn't like it - even tried selling it to me later, lawl.

I find it to be similiar to the laptop vs. desktop idea people get into their heads. Unless you are travelling and will be mobile very often (work, school) - and will actually need/use it when mobile, the desktop is almost always the best choice.

I feel the same way with a TV. The picture quality is better hands-down. The sound is built in, and it can be wall mounted no problem. It doesn't restrict movement for fear of blocking the picture (although you can work around this by mounting projector high). But a big manly flatscreen with HD and surround sound (or even a 3D-TV if that floats yer boat) has more pros than a projector system does IMO.

Anyways, only my 2c, who am I to rain on your parade if you have your heart set on it!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Projectors are great, some people love them, some don't, but it all comes down to one thing.

Money.

Which leads me to the question that your whole project rests on, what's your budget like?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the input. I've projected movies in the basement before, and I've been satisfied with the results.

I've got two reasons for going with a projector... safety and size. I expect this area to get much use, including things flying around the room. I don't want to consider the cost of damage to a very large flat screen.... a projector will be much smaller (and harder to damage), and and much cheaper to replace, should it become necessary.

As for size... I expect the picture to occupy most of the wall... about six feet high, and around 10 feet wide (I think... whatever the ratio is). Yeah... overkill, probably. But the movies have been that big, and it's pretty sweet. And I can get a much bigger picture for much less money.

As for budget, I don't know enough yet. I'm not going for a $10k fantasy, but I'm not expecting to be able to do it for $100. Projectors I've seen (and used) run in the neighborhood of $600-900... I expect to be in that realm for that piece, at least. And if I need to piecemeal it, upgrading bits over the next couple of years, I can do that too.

'Course, if the budget starts running the wrong way too much, then I may be over to a flat screen... and building a shield to protect it
-+-+-+
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

From the projector standpoint, we use Epson litepros with HD and 3D capable, as some of our classes use 3d ngrain (TM) media. Think theater style 55 seat capacity, staggered columns. The projector is mounted 22 feet from the wall, and 18 feet from floor level (takes a 22 ft ladder to change the $1100, 1,000 hour rated bulb). We use a crazy resolution and the picture comes out to be something like 7.5 ft. by 9.7 ft. Excellent quality (I would venture to say, that it is possible that Super bowls and Daytona 500s have been viewed with this setup).

Our mobile trailers, envision 48 ft semi trailer with expandable sides accommodating 9, two man workstations, have a Epson litpro and smartboard in the center and twin Samsung 52". The flatpanels are rarely used as lighting etc affects the screen.

Look through your "on demand" and see what you can find on HGTV's "sweat equity" and "man caves". One of those shows built a sweet assed home theater in the basement.

I went the cheap route and put a 50" (HD, SS) flat panel in and called it a done deal.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Bungleau,,, pay close attention to what Felix said. Overhead projectors are nice... till the bulb or bulbs start to dim, then Whammo!, big repair bill.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I am definitely paying attention... that's why I'm asking questions to begin with!

Bulbs are expensive, no doubt about it. Most of the projectors I've been investigating have bulbs with 2000 hour lifespans, and most are in the $200-400 range for replacement. That is definitely one of my considerations.

Thanks for the tip on Sweat Equity, Felix. Will wander around in there to see what I can find...
-+-+-+
Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Since you say you expect the area to see much use, you will inevitably have to keep up with the bulb. I vaguely recall seeing longer lasting ones online. 2000 hrs isn't terrible, but since this is intended to be a "new TV" and will see a similiar amount of use, then get ready to fork that out each time. If you have the money for the extra upkeep of this project each time you won't have any complains. I mean, you can always drag out an old TV during downtime if people want media entertainment while you wait on new bulbs. Personally, I would avoid buying the longer-lasting bulbs in case they get damaged or defective and you just spent double for the better one. As HT said, it all comes down to money really.