Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Need Ipod Help

I don't know if some of you remember that I won an Ipod Nano (4Gig) a couple years ago. Since then, I really did not have much of a chance to even use it and set it aside in a plastic bag all this time. I did have a few songs on it. Well, now I have use of it and am trying to get it to work. I plug it up and let it charge overnight and the display says that it is connected, not to disconnect unless I eject. I follow those rules and after disconnecting, I can not get it to turn on. I tried different things and googled for help. Somebody said to reset it by turning the lock key on then off, then holding down the menu and select buttons for a few seconds. Nothing happened when it was disconnected but when I connected it again, it obviously reset. What's wierd is that the reset did not remove the memory of the songs on it. They're still there, though can only be listened to while the USB plug is connected.

Can somebody offer a solution?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Default Re: Need Ipod Help

Sounds like the battery could be dead?

Sorry that's not much help, the switch on/off and holding the menu/select buttons for 6+ seconds always works for me, but if the battery is dead it might make sense
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sounds like it could be a battery. I've used King Ipod (www.kingipod.com) for a couple of different ipod repairs... they've been very effective and useful. They also offer a free repair quote service... send the ipod to them, they'll analyze, and let you know what the results are. You can decide to repair or not.

Just looked... they do sell a DIY battery replacement kit... looks like $10 for a Nano. Certainly a lot cheaper than a new one... unless you can win another one
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Does that mean that the memory is flashed in like a flash drive? Else, why would the music still be there if dependant on the battery?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

The battery doesn't store the songs on it, just powers it. Like a cellphone.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting conversation with an Apple rep at a nearby store. After looking at that link and also checking RadioShack and Apple online, I saw online that Apple wants me to enter some kind of plan where I send them the dead Ipod and they send me a replacement refurbished one or whatever. I called the local store and she basically said the same thing...That batteries are not typically carried in-store and that I'd need to set up an iCare appointment to come in and see what could be done and if it needed to be shipped away. I am thinking...WTF? Is this how Apple wants to run their business? I ask for a damn battery and they want me to set up an appointment as if this were a stupid doctor visit so they can send my property off to be replaced by somebody else's piece of junk? And the plan is like $59 or some crap. She said that the battery might not be the issue, that unused Ipods can suffer "atrophy" or whatever, basically meaning that they just die from lack of use. Well, I am sure it's the battery since the music is still there when power is fed from the USB connect.

Stupid Apple. I can't understand why so many people like Apple products. They run their operation by restricting what you can do with your own property as though you don't really own it and trying to make the most money from you by trying to convince you that you're not capable of changing a freaking battery on your own and that they have to manage that for you. Stupid stupid stupid.

Thanks for that link to the iRepair website. I'll be buying that $10 battery.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post

Stupid Apple. I can't understand why so many people like Apple products. They run their operation by restricting what you can do with your own property as though you don't really own it and trying to make the most money from you by trying to convince you that you're not capable of changing a freaking battery on your own and that they have to manage that for you. Stupid stupid stupid.
The fanboi-ism tends to die when their device breaks and they realize they are in for a world of hurt
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Apple originally made the batteries non-replaceable, and also made 'em with a relatively short lifespan (just a couple of years). They figured people would just buy new ones.

**BZZZZT**

I have had several interactions with the King iPod / iRepair folks. They've always been extremely reasonable and prompt, and address things from the point of view of salvaging your own unit (as opposed to replacing). Bottom line... I trust them to do right by me.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, try those guys Bung suggested, Larry. Don't go with Apple. By the time they're done with you, you'll prolly spend more than a brand new iPod anyways.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Question: I just submitted payment through Paypal and that was it. They did not ask where I wanted it shipped. Does that mean Paypal tells them my address?