Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 AM   #21
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: Windows 7 - who's getting it?

Any independent reviews of the system yet?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I read the articles, blogs, and reviews at Techrepublic.com frequently, and they've been particularly impressed with it. They really don't like the new menu bar, and the fact that it retains the look and feel from Vista, but it actually runs better "under the hood" and is slimmed down enough for netbooks and tablets (which Vista was not)
Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I've actually bought Windows 7 and it's sitting in all it's shrink-wrapped glory beside me. I bought it to do a clean install on a machine I bought yesterday. Cautionary tale follows....

Went to a well-known UK retailer and saw what appeared to be a pretty good machine at a reasonable price. 1TB HD, 6 gig ram, Good (ish) processor etc, however it had a sub-par graphics card. So I bought Win 7 to do a clean install (no point in having a new machine cluttered up by pre-installed crap) and a replacement vid card. Got home and opened it up...........crappy 250w power supply!!!! No chance of upgrading the vid card ( no PCI-e connectors or any chance of running any sort of decent card).

Went back to shop and got my cash back on the PC and card - hence the unused Win 7

The hunt for my next machine begins now.....

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #24
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

They still make computers without a PCI-e slot? News to me.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, and they still make current gen video cards that are AGP. Just for the niche audience that hasn't upgraded. They are rare, and unvaried, but they are there.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 AM   #26
Hindsight
The Magister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I've actually bought Windows 7 and it's sitting in all it's shrink-wrapped glory beside me. I bought it to do a clean install on a machine I bought yesterday. Cautionary tale follows....

Went to a well-known UK retailer and saw what appeared to be a pretty good machine at a reasonable price. 1TB HD, 6 gig ram, Good (ish) processor etc, however it had a sub-par graphics card. So I bought Win 7 to do a clean install (no point in having a new machine cluttered up by pre-installed crap) and a replacement vid card. Got home and opened it up...........crappy 250w power supply!!!! No chance of upgrading the vid card ( no PCI-e connectors or any chance of running any sort of decent card).

Went back to shop and got my cash back on the PC and card - hence the unused Win 7

The hunt for my next machine begins now.....
I boght this one Friday before last:

Hewlett Packard Pavilion p6112f PC Refurb PC
# 2.80GHz Intel Pentium Processor E6300
# 8GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (4 x 2048MB for ultimate performance)
# 1 Terabyte 5400RPM Serial ATA hard drive
# SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
# Intel® GMA 3100 integrated graphics
# 10/100/1000Base-T network interface
# External ports: front panel 15-in-1 memory card reader: supports SmartMedia, xD, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, RSMMC, MMC Mobile, MMC+, 4 USB 2.0 ports (Back), 2 USB 2.0 ports (Front), 1 FireWire® (IEEE 1394) port (Back), Headphone (Front); Microphone (Front), 2 PS/2; Digital Audio In/Out; LAN; Microphone/Line-in/Line-out; Rear speaker-out; Side speaker out; Center (subwoofer) (Back), VGA-out (Back)
# High definition audio, 8 speaker configurable
# Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64 bit Ed
# Package bundle dimensions: 19.00" (W) x 26.38" (L/D) x 20.63" (H) approx.
# 90 day warranty.

Price was $440 on one day special. I use a $20 coupon so price was $420. I only plugged it in on last weekend, to test my new monitor. I buy 2 different monitors, but both are not very good, so I return them.
I will keep watch for a good monitor on a good price. Also I am waiting for my Win 7 upgrade in mail before switch to my new PC. Shopping for new video card too!
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Windows 7 already? Am i getting old really fast now? Seems like only yesterday MS was telling me i needed Vista...

One day someone's going to have to tell me why operating systems need to roll out faster than the devs can program stuff for em.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #28
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

We're not! Hubby is skeptical til these things have been out a while. As he puts it "Let other people finish the 'beta testing' for MS!" LOL
Old 11-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
Hindsight
The Magister

I have now the monitor:
Samsung P2270 21.5" Widescreen LCD Monitor

also I buyd the video card today:

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Now waiting for the Win 7 upgrade from the mail.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #30
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

So has anyone done an upgrade from Vista? As opposed to a clean install? I don't want to do a clean install as it's such a PITA reinstalling everything and I can't even remember where some of the discs for my apps are, not to mention all the stuff you download. How good is the upgrade?

Otherwise I might hold off till it's time to get a new machine.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote