Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Says so here....
Quote:
Sony, it seems, has great plans for the PSP including the development of a music download service targeting owners of the handheld. Details of the plan are currently being developed by Sony which plans to use its gaming device to challenge Apple's domination of the music download market.

In another example of gaming being used as a portal to access people's pockets, Sony has decided that its current Connect content service, which until recently did not support the .mp3 format, is not the way to go and hopes that the Playstation brand name will be enough to give it the edge.

The PSP, Sony has repeatedly stressed, is a multimedia device capable of playing back high quality audio and video. The plans call for the use of the device's wireless connectivity capabilities to connect to the service and select the downloads. The same connectivity has been extensively tested for use with the PSPs automatic updating system so the framework is there for content delivery.

Opening up such a service, using wireless connectivity to retrieve credit card and other sensitive information will be a very big challenge to keep secure but we hope that Sony will seriously address all those issues before asking for people's money
Old 01-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

If Sony has any expectations of actually challenging the iPod they will be swiftly annihilated.

Apple is the Music Playing King.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Spirits forever

apple is the music playing king?
i guess so,

Ps: Hive! your new sig just rules, it's soo cool

Old 01-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hey thanks spirits

I agree, although I have never been a huge fan of the IPOD, it is true that "9 out of 10 high capacity music players sold worldwide is an IPOD"
Old 01-30-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Lots of players rival the iPod heck even better...

It is just that the iPod is an iPod... sad also.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Lots of players rival the iPod heck even better...

It is just that the iPod is an iPod... sad also.
Indeed, my friend's Zen MP3 player blows my Mini iPod out of the water.

But the iPod is a "fashion icon", the personification of the "God of Music Listening" while any other music player is a mere "Casette player" in comparison [img]graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] .

Apple holds ALL the cards.

Sony needs a reality check.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was wanting to be nice and obey the rules and download music that I pay for...but then I learned that iTunes downloads only works on an iPod. What a bunch of crap. I do not own an iPod, and am not some kid that needs one, either. I want the songs on my HDD.

Where can I get music that does not have to be played on a stupid iPod?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
Sigmar
Unicorn

Why not download a music file type converter off the internet?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #9
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I stick with my Nintendo DS and my regular ol' clunky CD player thank you very much. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-31-2005, 03:05 AM   #10
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well said, SomeGuy! Really, while I like the fact that these capabilities are on the market, how many mp3 playing devices do we need?

Mp3 playing toasters? Microwaves? Washing Machines? Spatulas? Bedposts?

After a while, it just becomes overkill. Personally, I like having mp3 CDs the best. I MIGHT be tempted to switch to portable mp3 DVDs and players for those...but I really wouldn't care if it was integrated with my video-game system. It wouldn't have to be.

Is that what you really want to say?