Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2005, 12:13 AM   #11
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by javan:
"And at Stanford University in California an experiment might be done later this
year to create mice with human brains."

Note from ACME labs:

Pinky,

I think they are on to us...

Sincerely,

The Brain

[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Sweet. It would be a nice complement to the mouse-brained humans currently in our government...

To address the issue:
Yes please, and make mine a double.
The debate over cloning/genetic manipulation reminds me of the 19th century debate over the medical use of anaesthetics: There was concern that using anaesthesia during procedures was a sin, as it deprived people of the 'transforming' experience of pain which we were 'meant' to experience.
As in anything, understanding is the key: developing potentially damaging lifeforms and releasing them into a balanced ecosystem would be quite stupid. (see the cane toad problem for an example). If this is approached with understanding and clear intent, it could be a phenomenal boon to all species.
Personally I would like to see developed an airborne virus that renders stupid people infertile.
Yes I really do mean that. I'm an awesome elitist bastard.

(edited to incorporate a brilliant, spot-on observation)

[ 01-28-2005, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Absynthe ]

Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #12
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I'm an elitist bastard.
Dude, you forgot to put 'awesome' in there too. Heh heh. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 01:03 AM   #13
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Just thought I would say that comparing the use of anasthesia and cloning/genetic manipulation seems rather silly. Very different things happening there, and people are against this for very different reasons. And yes, I am against cloning. The role of God is reserved for one, and that should be fairly obvious.
Also, everyone may not be as "emotionally needy" as Someguy, but their thoughts and feelings should be respected, as well. Perhaps if we're such the democratic peoples, we should vote on such things?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:06 AM   #14
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Not everybody believes in God though.

We evolved into intelligent beings, and if we are able to understand concepts that allow us to manipulate the foundations of genetics why shouldnt we?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:07 AM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

Well, I don't like the idea of entirely unfettered research re: messing around with humans, (raises some moral issues and I've likewise watched too many movies ) but it does have amazing medical potential.

What about, instead of eating that heart, it was used for a transplant? What if we could identify a gene in some animal that provides resistance to cancer or AIDS? Like I said, I'm not too comfortable with the idea, because we really aren't sure what the heck we're doing and where it might lead, but the positive possibilities are just as tremendous as the negative.

As for cross- ... um, breeding, fertilizing, gene-splicing?... whatever, between humans and animals, I think it's too early to jump up and down about it. A few human cells in an embryo is merely a minor step on the road to the type of biological disaster that will wipe out the human race for its misdeeds.

Note that I don't think we need any help in wiping ourselves out, be it alien, divine, or self-made biological entity. Unfettered greed and short-sighted policies are capable enough already.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:15 AM   #16
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
Just thought I would say that comparing the use of anasthesia and cloning/genetic manipulation seems rather silly. Very different things happening there, and people are against this for very different reasons. And yes, I am against cloning. The role of God is reserved for one, and that should be fairly obvious.
Also, everyone may not be as "emotionally needy" as Someguy, but their thoughts and feelings should be respected, as well. Perhaps if we're such the democratic peoples, we should vote on such things?
I wasn't comparing the two subjects technologically, but rather the social attitudes about the subjects. As we learned to understand the benefits and risks associated with anaesthesia, we accepted it's use. So too I think we will eventually accept genetic manipulation and cloning, once we get beyond the fear and superstition.
By the way, there are two major deities in my belief, neither of whom has a problem with cloning... do I win by majority rule? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #17
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
...As for cross- ... um, breeding, fertilizing, gene-splicing?... whatever, between humans and animals...
Hey, they've been doing this behind the barn in Montana for generations...

Old 01-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #18
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
Not everybody believes in God though.
But he's still there.

And, actually Absynthe, I was thinking more along the lines of a vote of all the people, lol.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:51 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

gee... planet of the apes may actually seem a reality with what these scientist are doing.

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-28-2005, 08:59 AM   #20
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

This seems to be a natural step in our evolution as an intelligent life form capable of figuring this out. The important part to me is the reserch must be accurate. How exciting it would be to feel the living energy this creation would bring to the world. I'm not sure I see anything wrong with the creation of life. So it doesn't fit in our little box, so something is different I'm all for it as long as it is done in a responsible way
The medical uses alone for specific organs is well worth it in my opinion.