Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

I'm moving out this summer. I'm a student and I will life accordingly. I'm curious as to how you, as a student, are living or how you lived. Also people who know students, how do they live?

I'd like to know about the kind of accomodation, how many rooms, how big, what facilities do you have for yourself or do you have to share it all with more people? Like the bathroom, kitchen and communal areas. What do you have in the room that serve a purpose, like a boiler, microwave andsoforth.

Please do tell!!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Lets see, I'm at university, I have one roomate in my dorm room, and my floor has a communal bathroom. Really sucks when some idiot decides it's a good idea to defecate in the showers. [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Kitchen? I have a microwave, lol! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

It is of no use to you, but I am a student, 29 yrs. old and have two kids and a wife waiting for me when I get out of class everyday. We live in a home with everything that a family of four should have, minus a dog.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Where are you going to study Zuvio? I'm doing that right now in Utrecht, Physics at the University here. I live in a temporary room where I can stay until next year somewhere. It's basically an old old-people-flat(how DO you say that). I live with a friend of my girlfriend in an appartment there, which means, no sharing of kitchen or bathroom. But most of the student flats have shared kitchens and bathrooms. Which means you have to make arrangements who cooks and does dishes all the time. Something I hope never have to do. I prefer to do that stuff in my own time.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov: Where are you going to study Zuvio? I'm doing that right now in Utrecht, Physics at the University here. I live in a temporary room where I can stay until next year somewhere. It's basically an old old-people-flat(how DO you say that).
A room in a former home for the elderly?

Quote:
I live with a friend of my girlfriend in an appartment there, which means, no sharing of kitchen or bathroom. But most of the student flats have shared kitchens and bathrooms. Which means you have to make arrangements who cooks and does dishes all the time. Something I hope never have to do. I prefer to do that stuff in my own time.
Umm, sharing a kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook together and do each other's dishes. I've been living on my own for nearly 5 years and I've never done that. You share the kitchen, not the meals and chores.
I do admit it can get filthy when there's other people using the same kitchen, and for that reason I'm looking forward to finding a place for myself. I do have my own shower, would never want to share that (except with my boyfriend of course [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

But where are you going to live Zuvio? Have you already found something?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Don't know how it goes in the Netherlands, but here, the more rooms you have, the more you pay. Lots of folks lived in dormitories (me too), where you might have one to three roommates, and might have either communal bathrooms (one set for the floor, my first year) or suite bathrooms (a sink, toilet, and shower between each pair of rooms, my later years).

Some folks rented houses, and the more you got, the cheaper the rent became (overall). Dividing up the bills is a pain, though... and if the guy responsible for paying electricity doesn't do it, you all suffer...

The good thing about going from home to dorms is that you're probably going from one room (bedroom) to one room (everything). Later on, you accumulate more stuff and need a house to keep it in (right, Larry? ).

The nicest thing about uni living is that you can change your mind every year, and sometimes every semester. If it's not working, do something else.

Have fun!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #7
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

I'm going to Groningen, because it's rated as the number 1 Law-faculty. I'm already a student, my first year is in Leeuwarden, so I travel between my parents home and school, but next year I have to go to Groningen.

I've been looking into these studentflats, some people recommend them, some find it aweful. Offcourse, number 1 BIG issue: shared shower and toilet. I could care less about the kitchen, I'll buy a microwave-oven combi. Argh, the mere thought of it. There has been a major change of rules in those flats the last couple of years though, no more wild animal stuff. Keep it clean or get out is the main policy now, but I have yet to see it. Point is, financially speaking I can only afford the studentflat the upcoming year. After that I can go more private. But you do only get a small room, a total of 14 students on one floor and everything you need is shared. But since so many people have done this for so long and now that the rules have become more strict I doubt it can be that bad. Maybe they have more than 1 of each facility, I hope

Ah heck, I've been with the marine corps for a while, how bad can a bunch of students be [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Where are you going to study Zuvio? I'm doing that right now in Utrecht, Physics at the University here. I live in a temporary room where I can stay until next year somewhere. It's basically an old old-people-flat(how DO you say that). I live with a friend of my girlfriend in an appartment there, which means, no sharing of kitchen or bathroom. But most of the student flats have shared kitchens and bathrooms. Which means you have to make arrangements who cooks and does dishes all the time. Something I hope never have to do. I prefer to do that stuff in my own time.
Nice subject, by the way...what year student are you? I'm still trapped in introductory courses, right now---I'm not sure how UK's curriculum compares with Utrecht's, but a first year student (like myself) has a classical mech class, a relativity/optics/thermodynamics intro course, and an introductory E&M course...how is it over there?

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 01-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

I live in university halls of residence at the moment. I have my own room with my own en-suite shower, toilet and sink but share a kitchen with 5 other people. The kitchen has oven, grill, kettle, toaster and microwave, which we share. That's about it really.

[ 01-27-2005, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-27-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
spydar

When I moved 8 hours away from home for school it was the first time I had ever moved in my entire life (I was in the same bedroom from 3-18), and also was the first time my twin brother and I had ever been seperated for an extended period of time (which believe me was a godsend, we annoy the crap outta each other, I'm a female dog and he's a donkey's butt). I never lived in the dorms down here in C-town, but my best friend did and we like to joke that it was the trads (traditional dorms) that gave her cancer again. that and eating the cafeteria food.

Anyway, I live in a house that my dad bought this summer (oh don't think I don't get crap about that from my siblings "mm, daddy bought you a house!") I live with 3 guys, and am the only girl here. you meet a lot of "interesting" people when sharing a place with strangers. I have all the normal stuff you find in a house, but no microwave. yes that's right, I had to learn how to cook actual food on an actual stove (which I've now mastered). I still remember my friends asking me how I made things like soup or rice, course these are also the same people who didn't know you could make pudding on the stove before instant pudding, or buy actual whipig cream and whip it up yourself.

[ 01-27-2005, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: spydar ]