Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 04:32 AM   #1
Nalia De'Arnise
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello,

I'm new to this forum - I hope you don't mind me starting with creating a new topic... I'd done a search before I started this thread, so my conscience is all right [img]smile.gif[/img]

So, I'm trying to help someone who's got a little problem with a quest at the beginning of the game. He finished all of his quests in Targos, and was told to meet Oswald and fly to Andora - but Oswald simply doesn't talk to him. He says it's impossible to initiate dialoge with him, he just keeps humming, no matter what. Quite annoying, since this is a key quest, he can't go on without talking to him...

I (and others as well) gave hundreds of advices to him on how to solve this problem (patch, reload, reinstall, poor guy even did the whole chapter again), but none of them worked!

I'm really out of ideas now, and thought someone here might know the solution for this bug.

If you could help, I'd be really grateful. You'd help me to sleep well again [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance!
Nalia De'Arnise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Strange. If the game actually says that the game cannot initiate dialogue, then it happened to me while playing BG2, but that was completely unpatched. My only idea is to restart the game, as he isn't overly far in. He should talk to Oswald right off the bat to make sure that it will work the second time through. Sorry that I can't help more, but maybe someone else can.

On a side note, Welcome to Ironworks!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

First of all
WELCOME TO IRONWORKS!
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]

Second of all:
PLEASE CREATE AS MUCH NEW THREADS AS YOU CAN. THE IWD2 FORUMS ARE ALMOST DEAD AND WE NEED ALL THE NEW THREADS WE CAN GET.

Now as for your problem... it's really strange and I've never heard of this one before. Especially if you did patch and reinstall.
If all else fails you can use cheat codes to traverse to the next area (the one that Oswald was supposed to take you to)....
To do that:
Run the game's configuration utility and enable the cheat console option. Next, press [Ctrl] + [Tab] during game play to display the console window. Then, enter the following code:
ctrlaltdelete:movetoarea("AR#####")

Only in place of ##### you have to enter the number for the area of Oswald's crashed ship. And I dont have it. Can anyone give that? Simply load a saved game in the crashed ship and press the key to reveal the coordiantes (X I believe).
This way the only thing you'll miss is the movie for beginning of chapter 2.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It sounds like you have a busted dialogue string or corrupted global variable somewhere in the game: What that means is the conversation with Oswald won't trigger because the game is somehow not recognizing that all of the previous quests have been finished and that Oswald's dialogue string should be available. That either means that your friends character hasn't talked to the right people to set the trigger for Oswald's chapter ending dialogue to become available OR that the global variable that should open the dialogue is somehow corrupted. Try talking to the leaders both in Targos and the at the stockade just to make sure that there are no "open" dialogues. If that doesn't work, somebody with some infinity engine experience is going to need to help you on this one.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:33 AM   #5
Nalia De'Arnise
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all your help [img]smile.gif[/img]

ZFR, that's really cute, thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'll tell him to try that console thing, I think that's the only thing he hasn't tried yet... I'll just have to get that area code now, but that's hte easier part.

Thank you again. I'll let you know about the progress [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #6
Nalia De'Arnise
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Problem solved, he used someone else's saved game and that worked well.

Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]