Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-31-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

Well I've just completed the game for a second time. This time with seemingly tremendous ease compared with the first run through. Belhifet was defeated on the second attempt with no fatalities on my part. My party finished around level 11, (this is without HoW if you hadn't already guessed). That's it really, I was just so suprised that it was so easy, but I suppose at least it makes me feel like I've improved since my first attempt which was my first D&D game, since which I've also completed Baldur's Gate. Also, thanks to all those who have given me help when I got stuck.
Cheers
Blunderbuss

Now, I believe it's time for a solo attempt and to buy HoW

[ 10-31-2004, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: Blunderbuss ]
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Congratulations. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

Congrats.

Of the two, which did you like better: BG or IWD? Personally, I like the BG a little better for these reasons:
(1) I liked the nonlinearity of the game. For the most part, you could wander off wherever you wanted and play the side-quest areas in any order.

(2) I liked the first-person perspective. You get to "role-play" the protagonist, and then ask NPCs, who you don't completely control, to join your party.

(3) NPC variety: There are a lot of NPCs who can join and leave depending on your party's needs. This makes the party very adaptable.

(4) Game scale: It's more interesting and challenging to play lower-level characters. This is aspect of the game is enhanced through modestly-powered armor and weapons. I think the powerful weapons and armor were +3, and there were only a handful of these. It's a lot of fun when you're kicking ass with that +2 Varscona.

On the other hand, IWD has a much better main storyline, and is more action-packed. There are a lot more monsters to fight and you don't hae to spend a lot of time exploring empty tracts of land to find a cave entrance. I also think the music and portraits in IWD give the game a distinctive flavor and context that was lacking in BG.

Overall I would like to see a game that combined the storyline, action, music, and portraits of IWD with the nonlinearity, NPCs, and modestly-powered scale of BG.
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #4
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

To be honest, I've never really made my mind up on which one I preferred. Baldur's Gate's nonlinearity was good but it could also be bad as sometimes you could wander for a long time with no idea of where you're supposed to be going. IWD was my first D&D game so I will always hold a high opinion of it but BG was great too.
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I like BG faaaaaaaaar more then IWD. BG has a really nice storyline, good NPC interactions, lots of quests etc...

IWD has lots of fights and no interactions between chars.

IWD is too combat oriented for my taste.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote