Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, I was one of those people who scoffed at the hardcore EQ-RPers and their 'player housing', while thinking "Me, I play to adventure, not to sit in a house all day". Now though, with characters at 60 and all I really do like the idea and think it is the one thing missing in WoW. I know they have them in EQ2 for sure and it is kinda neat from what I have seen there. A place where your hero can call home, decorate according to his/her class and personality a bit (small customizations - nothing astounding), invite friends and guildmates over, have meetings there, store stuff etc. For Rpers it would be heaven. For me it would be all of the above and just a little space for my character to call home and provide that next step of realism to the world of Azeroth.

There are rumours that it was mentioned officially before that they planned to implement it at some point and people say that the unused instance portal in SW was a preparation for this (anyone know anything about official word?). Blood Elves are nice and all, but I'd really be sure to buy an expansion for WoW if it got me player housing .
Old 11-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

if you want a house, play fable. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

seriously, i'm sure i'll feel the same in a few months
Old 11-23-2005, 02:27 AM   #3
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

I heard that instance portal was for a higher level instance like the Stockades, but where more dangerous criminals were held.

Although I hope it *is* player housing, or even guild housing.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Or even a guild house/mansion/castle would be nice
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

The only trouble is that you need to DRASTICALLy increase the size of the areas. As it stands, Azeroth won't be able to fit them in.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:38 AM   #6
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

Put the houses in an instance? Or perhaps as you enter the instance, like the battlegrounds queue, you have a choice of guildhalls/houses you are allowed to visit (guild hall, your own, your friends, etc.)
Old 11-24-2005, 12:29 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, instancing them would be the only solution, this is why some say the portal in SW could be a possibility. Much like the Champions Hall. Otherwise the lag would be terrible.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Instances would work, though IMO they would disrupt the continuity. Nothing was cooler in SWG then wandering in the desert, and finding a player run fort. Damn, that game had potential...
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:25 PM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Having a house would sound nice, having a spouse to live with inside the house would be even nicer. *cough* Morrowind *cough* [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Instances would work, though IMO they would disrupt the continuity. Nothing was cooler in SWG then wandering in the desert, and finding a player run fort. Damn, that game had potential...
Agreed, I'd love to see like a 'player neighbourhood' in SW but I doubt they'd do it that way. It'd probably be more like private instances, each one taking you to your own dwelling. That said, they could easily make the main portal take you to a main housing district. Picture somewhere like the canal district in SW, just unused or sealed houses and few shops. The doors on say, 15 houses could open when you click on them revealing another instance portal (again like the champions hall, only multiple ones) that would take you to your house. Of course, all of these portals would lead to your dwelling (and every other players' dwelling) but this way you could actually spot people in the 'neighbourhood' going into their homes. To dream...

[ 11-25-2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]