Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2002, 01:02 PM   #1
Thuram
Dungeon Master

Yes, now I have the stinking cloack of the sewers. I could have bet that my charisma would drop immediately, but no. Instead I get a better AC which is even compatible with magical armor and rings.

Next I found out that you can shapeshift into a troll, mouse and a jelly. But why should I do it. I mean, it obviously it is a lot of fun hunting trolls when yourself are a troll, although I expected them to welcome a new family member. Obviously they don't like newcomers.

Then I changed to a jelly, but that got them really angry (or hungry)? Finally I thought that they may get scared if they see a mouse or maybe even feel compassion ... Obviously my initial thoughts about trolls where wrong.

Besides the fun part, can anybody come up with a strategy where this shapeshifting could be useful. So far, I can only see the usefulness of the jelly when you are attacked by a bunch of archers? Anything else?
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:09 PM   #2
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Well, the troll form regenerates and is quite strong. Good for tanking.

The jelly is immune to magic IIRC which is extremely handy.

The rat is damn hard to hit and damn strong too?? Good for surviving in the middle of the fray.

I usually slap the cloak of the sewers on a mage and use it if he should accidentally be caught in close combat.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:30 PM   #3
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

I don't usually use the shapeshifting abilities, and this probably won't help you out since you're soloing, but the jelly form is great when you have a group and you want to kill trolls. The form is totally immune to the trolls' attacks, so you just let the jelly go out in front to attract their attention, then you have everyone else use ranged weapons to take them down.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
Thuram
Dungeon Master

Great!!! Troll hunting in jelly form, unbelievable! Yes, probably I will not be able to hit them fast enough, but at least I can walk through them if I don't feel like fighting. Any idea if this applies to other monsters too? So I guess the troll attack is piercing type?

Indemaijinj, sorry I don't understand what IIRC means. Could you explain?

I fought in rat shape against some greater skeletons (those who have +1 swords). Initially I also thought that the rat would be very difficult to hit, but when I shapeshifted my AC was only +8. (In human form my monk has -3 AC with all the magical equipment).

So I drank a potion which lowered my base AC to 0 resulting in a -12 AC. I am a bit confused about this, it is a big difference from +8 to -12 AC. I have the feeling something is buggy here. Anyway I got killed quite quickly, even with the 90% resistance to physical damage. (If you say the rat is difficult to hit, I must try out with a different character)

For a mage, I can see your point shapeshifting to a troll in case you need to melee fight.
Thuram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 02:58 PM   #5
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

If I Recall/Recollect Correctly
Felix
FelixJaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:48 PM   #6
Desuma Malevois
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Thuram:
Great!!! Troll hunting in jelly form, unbelievable! Yes, probably I will not be able to hit them fast enough, but at least I can walk through them if I don't feel like fighting. Any idea if this applies to other monsters too? So I guess the troll attack is piercing type?
Yes, the troll's attack is piercing. I'm still not sure if this will help you in a solo game. The jelly moves so slow the trolls can easily keep up; of course a "jellied monk" might be different. [img]smile.gif[/img] In addition, IIRC the jelly is too wide to fit through most doors. It might be fun to play around with though. One nice thing is that the jelly has a poison attack, which is one thing trolls won't regenerate from.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:55 PM   #7
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

If you're soloing with anyone but a cleric keep it. It's SOOO easy, and it means you dont have 2 use as many potions of healing. If you have to walk across any district in Athkatla, and you're injured, just turn into a troll. Also, it must be frustrating to bring a nigh-impossible char near death, then just regens in like 1 or 2 mins.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2002, 09:16 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

In my opinion, the greatest advantage to the Mustard Jelly form is its 100% Magic Resistance. Suddenly, spellcasters aren't so frightening anymore.....
It's also quite fun to use your Boots of Speed with it.....watch that Mustard Jelly zip across the screen...lol
Old 09-11-2002, 09:42 PM   #9
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

How much damage do mustard jellies do?
Old 09-12-2002, 07:21 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Thuram,

The mouse has a base AC of 20. You had equipment which lowered it by 12, hence 8 AC.

Base AC of 0, plus equipment, means -12 AC.

QED.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote