Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 11:52 AM   #21
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
'When all is said and done' [img]tongue.gif[/img]

edit: i also remembered this one: "Play it by ear"...I mean wtf does it mean. How is waiting for information considered playing your ear? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"Play it by ear" is a reference to learning and playing musical instuments without sheet music. Typically, playing by ear means listening to a bar or two and then picking out the notes used on your own instrument. So "playing it by ear" is synonymous with working without a plan or direction.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #22
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Since we're on the subject of grammar and pronunciation, how do you say "altitude"?

I've noticed that most Americans say "alti-tood", whereas English say "Alti-chewed". Is it just an accent thingy?

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
It's always in the last place you look"
Of course it is [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 06-28-2004, 12:16 PM   #23
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Uh, the kettle doesn't usually boil when watched, because people take it of the burner/flame before it starts, doh! I think it also refers to one's temperment. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 12:16 PM   #24
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaradu:
Since we're on the subject of grammar and pronunciation, how do you say "altitude"?

I've noticed that most Americans say "alti-tood", whereas English say "Alti-chewed". Is it just an accent thingy?

quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
It's always in the last place you look"
Of course it is [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Yeah, it's the same with tuna - toona and chewna, etc. I say the latter because I'm from England and Holland originally, I'm just spending a few years over here in the States. I still find it funny, though - I'll never get used to toos-day and suchlike. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2004, 01:52 PM   #25
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I hate the turns of phrase such as : "So, I was, like, mad, and he was, like, ,'So?'...."
Old 06-28-2004, 04:35 PM   #26
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
"More than happy"
Like in "I'd be more than happy to do it"
How can you be *more* than happy? That sounds like a dangerous mental disorder

"They had to take Jorath away... he was more than happy".
LOL - and I really did . And then I thought about it later and laughed again... but I was just happy, don't you worry about that. Just happy, nothing more

"Comfort zone" is another piece of trite pap I dislike.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:12 AM   #27
DBear
Drow Warrior

What gets me is on the news when every city in the Middle East is referred to as "The Holy City of...". Enough already!