Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-29-2001, 10:44 AM   #31
Melusine
Dracolisk

Charlie yes I couldn't agree more (on the Scots I mean), they're a lovely people (to the extent that you can generalise a people anyway), I've been there on holiday. Felt I had a bond with them as the Dutch are also often accused of greed and penny-pinching (wholly unjustified you understand).
God I would love to be able to imitate some of Britains lovely accents (I study English and my nativespeaking tutors have a range of accents from Australian, Glaswegian, Cockney, RP, Birm...what's a Birmingham accent called again? etc. which is hilarious)
Old 01-29-2001, 10:48 AM   #32
Lucre
Elminster

SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY
SORRY CHARLIE
SATAN TAKING PISS ON Mark,Tom and Travis Show by Blink 182 Utter Class.
Old 01-29-2001, 10:53 AM   #33
Charlie
Lord Ao

Lol.

Brummie is the word you're looking for. yes I too find it comical . Sorry any Brums, but it is a funny accent, again, good people tho'.

Must say, I'm most impressed by your knowledge and mastery of English. I'm sure you'll do very well in your studies (read and imagine this post in a Brummie accent).
Old 01-29-2001, 11:02 AM   #34
Melusine
Dracolisk

Brummie, yes that's it!
Well thank you very much for the compliment but I'm not THAT good, and anyway they're expecting me to be near-native speaking once I graduate (which I ought to do in 2 years .... whoops!)
Anyway, speaking of funny accents... I'm walking on dangerous ground saying this on a board full of Ozzies, but "Strine" always does it for me!
You know, when they come up to you and ask : Emma Chissitt? and you think they're mistaking you for some other lady when they're actually trying to enquire after the cost of some item?
Old 01-29-2001, 11:09 AM   #35
Melusine
Dracolisk

BTW now that we're on the subject anyway, Moiraine, may I tell you that your English is REALLY good for someone from France? Not trying to imply that the French by definition are bad at languages, but on the whole they have trouble with it. That's logical, as they have no real need of it, as have the English and German. These languages are so big that the need to learn others is less urgent. This is not the case with the Dutch; they better learn their languages damn well or no one will be able to understand them.
But I'm rambling off again...sorry, I was saying, last week I was talking to a French woman in the subway and like most French, she was hardly understandable. Therefore you kind of stand out to me, your English being as good as it is...my compliments!
Old 01-29-2001, 11:14 AM   #36
Charlie
Lord Ao

Lucre.

No need to apologise to me my friend.

There is nothing that you said or could say that could hurt or offend me....I've seen too much in the past... don't worry. Enjoy yourself, enjoy life.

Best wishes.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:22 AM   #37
Blink182

This is Lucre i have a new username it is much better plus i don't get the abuse.
I still have the Lucre username so if its Lucre or Blink182 they're both me.

Old 01-29-2001, 11:31 AM   #38
Moiraine
Anubis

Melusine,

Thanks !

But, you know, my reading/writing English is MUCH MUCH better than my hearing/speaking, since I have quite nobody to talk to (apart from a American from work now and then), even if I always try to watch movies in original version. I shiver thinking about all the weird accents you and Charlie speak about ... Brrrrrrrrr ! I wouldn't understand a thing !

And besides, playing AD&D, working with computers AND not being by far patient enough to wait for all the great Fantasy book being translated ... that was what really put me into it. I was no more than an average English student at school, and the first I have read in English was VERY hard. And now I am SO glad I have made the effort !

Besides, you wouldn't believe how silly translated AD&D vocabulary can be ...
Old 01-29-2001, 11:33 AM   #39
paladino

I'm the sole israeli guy (i think)

Old 01-29-2001, 11:36 AM   #40
Moiraine
Anubis

Great ! A new country popping in !

Welcome aboard, Paladino !