Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
Moni

I'm sitting here at Rex's PC last night when I hear a new squeak coming from somewhere. After walking through a couple of rooms in the house, I determined that the squeak was coming from outside. Going out onto the front porch I tracked the squeak to the area behind a small cabinet where I keep my gardening tools.
It sounded like a bat but the only bats I know of that lived around here ended up being found "graveyard dead" in the neighbors yard earlier this spring.
I figured since the noise was eminating from an area on the ground, it must be a cricket with some problems or a new kind of bug I have yet to see (being fairly new here still) and let the matter go.

This morning, I went through my routine of feeding the cats and as I let them out the front door to feed the fish and bring in the paper, I saw "Tiger" throw something under my ferns and heard the squeak again. It was a bat. A baby bat.
Luckily, my cats are smart and obedient animals. I told Tiger to get away from that and he stepped away and sat back to watch as I picked it up with a paper towel. It was no bigger than my thumb and covered with mud (it had rained overnight). Poor thing looked like it was on the verge of death but I could not bring myself to put it out of its misery. I set the paper towel in a flower pot, placed it next to the trash can, and waited for Rex to get home to see if it was still alive by then, if he had the guts to kill it and throw it away.

It was still fairly alive when he got home an hour later. Rather than kill it, he talked me into trying to give it some warm milk. Lacking an eyedropper, I used the end of a Q-tip with the cotton torn off but only proceeded to get more milk in the babies nose than its mouth. It wanted it but doesn't like homogonized cow's milk lol.
While I came online to do a search on bats and try to find someplace nearby that could come get it, he tried to feed it banana which it refused.

I found a Bat Conservation Association located in Austin and called them and explained the situation. They referred me to a location in Boerne (about 60 miles north of here) that would take it in and pass it on to them.

So we made the trip to a wildlife rescue association near Boerne...easy to find and surrounded by some rather beautiful scenery (I had never seen "the hill country" before). We got to see a lot of peacocks, cranes and other types of birds in their large aviaries. They even had a dozen or so monkeys caged up near the entrance.

Anyway, as I feared, the baby did not fly into our house and fall, it was way too young, which means we have bats living in the crawl space of the roof. I found the hole where the baby had fallen out when we came home. I guess in a few months (when any other babies up ther are old enough to survive without their mothers) I will have the Austin based Bat Coinservation Association come and take them out alive.

If they won't do it for free, I wonder if Rex would mind if I just set off a fogger and hope they get out alive? I have no qualms about crawling up their to clean out any dead bodies lol, but I can't force myself to go up there knowing there many be many more than I am equipped to deal with that are alive. I know they are harmless unless they carry rabies (which I doubt they do but won't take my chances) but I have seen bats in the roof of a friends barn long ago in large numbers and getting them excited enough to fly around is frightening! Probably not, he is as much into saving creatures as I am and will no doubt give them money to save the bats.

He nicknamed me "Snow White" long ago lol and today, when he would not kill the bat but would drive a 120 mile round trip in an attempt to save it, I labeled him Prince Charming. His parents get a kick out of watching us try to save the planet one animal at a time.

Well, for what it is worth, the baby was put in an incubator and will be fed properly and then transferred to the Austin location tomorrow. I hope it lives, it had a rough night!

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 05-31-2001).]

Old 05-31-2001, 11:34 PM   #2
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Hey nice one! for that you get a really big hug It is nice to read that some one doesnt consider all wildlife in their home as "vermin". This is th esource of many arguements with my husband who believes if it is in "his" house it deserves t odie!

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
Old 05-31-2001, 11:36 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Moni: what a heartwarming story, luv! I'm so glad you tried to save the baby bat, and hopefully it will survive and have a good home at the conservatory.

I just lost one of my "babies" today...one of my rats, a dwarf rat that was my favorite, passed on. The poor little thing was having a series of strokes, I think, and although I know he's no longer suffering, it still hurt like h**l to lose him. Your story of the little bat has brought comfort to me, a symbol of the "Circle of Life".

Thank you, Moni, and bless you, for your wonderful heart.

To both the little bat, and to my Bernard, I place here the lyrics to one of my favorite songs by the band "Live", Lightning Crashes.

lightning crashes, a new mother cries
her placenta falls to the floor
the angel opens her eyes
the confusion sets in
before the doctor can even close the door

lightning crashes, an old mother dies
her intentions fall to the floor
the angel closes her eyes
the confusion that was hers
belongs now, to the baby down the hall

oh now feel it comin' back again
like a rollin' thunder chasing the wind
forces pullin' from the center of the earth again
i can feel it.

this moment she's been waiting for
the angel opens her eyes
pale blue colored iris, presents the circle
and puts the glory out to hide, hide

i can feel it.

Old 05-31-2001, 11:46 PM   #4
Moni

kiwidoc,
Thank You! (I do kill roaches and flies lol!) everything else can live. A Big Hug back at ya and welcome to the forum!

Saz, I am so sorry for your loss, I know how much you love your rats!
Thank you for posting the "Live" lyrics, that song always brings a good feeling to my soul, knowing that the circle of life remains unbroken.

Bless You, My Friend! Bless You!

Moni

------------------

Old 05-31-2001, 11:46 PM   #5
mammawlin
Drizzt Do'Urden

Hi Moni! This is so like you, Moni! What a good story. I hope you keep a journal so all these wonderful stories may make it into some books in the future. We tried to save some baby squirrles in Florida a couple of years ago. They were so cute and we took pictures of them and also called around to see who would help them when our efforts were to no avail. We ended up taking them to a wildlife refuge, but they were too sick with the same thing their mommy probably died from, so said the doctor there, and they died after a few days. It was very sad and my granddaughter cried every time she thought of them for a long time afterwards. Funny how we get attached. Well, special HUGS to you for caring,
Mammawlin
Old 05-31-2001, 11:48 PM   #6
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Moni: what a heartwarming story, luv! I'm so glad you tried to save the baby bat, and hopefully it will survive and have a good home at the conservatory.

I just lost one of my "babies" today...one of my rats, a dwarf rat that was my favorite, passed on. The poor little thing was having a series of strokes, I think, and although I know he's no longer suffering, it still hurt like h**l to lose him. Your story of the little bat has brought comfort to me, a symbol of the "Circle of Life".

To both the little bat, and to my Bernard, I place here the lyrics to one of my favorite songs by the band "Live", Lightning Crashes.

the angel opens her eyes
the confusion sets in

i can feel it.

the angel opens her eyes

i can feel it.

one of the greatest songs ever written IMHO

------------------

Lord of the Screen Shot
Get My IronWorks Winamp skin
Old 05-31-2001, 11:52 PM   #7
Moni

Thank you Mammawlin! God Bless Your Granddaughter!
I know how she felt, I just hate it when I try to no avail to help the helpless creatures around us.
I am worrying about the two squirrels I feed here...I have not seen them in a few days. Hopefully, they are just kicking back eating up the supply of mini peanut butter sandwiches I have been throwingout for them.

Hugs!
Moni

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 05-31-2001).]

Old 05-31-2001, 11:58 PM   #8
onthepequod
Quintesson

Moni, you are a kind sole.

It's always disheartening to see and infant, regardless of species, inadequately strugle for life that is rapidly escaping.

------------------

onthepequod

[This message has been edited by onthepequod (edited 05-31-2001).]
Old 06-01-2001, 12:36 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

wow! heehee! that was a very generous output on your part... here, its SO hard to find peeps likes that...

------------------

We have merged... and now we are called Chiharumut..wehehehe and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-01-2001, 12:48 AM   #10
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

the angel opens her eyes
the confusion sets in

i can feel it.

the angel opens her eyes

i can feel it.

Hehe,I have always wanted some pet rats,but my mother "Just wont let those disease infested creaturs in my house!"

ONe of the many advandges of being an Adult,hehe