Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-24-2001, 04:49 PM   #1
The Suacy Intruder

I was wondering whet people thought the optimal all created party would be.

Also, as an aside, I've seen a lot on dualed Kensais but from what I can see, dualing them at low teens results in a stagnant THAC0 that doesnt really ever improve until much higher levels and doesn't seem to guarantee a hit to the extent that a straight kensai does.

Anyways I would choose for my party:

1 Half-Orc Barbarian dualling axes and scimitars (and other stuff with the extra slots)

2 Half-Orc Kensai dualling katanas and war hammers (for the good katana and the hammer with 25 str.)

3 Inquisitor with two handed swords, bows and crossbows (true sight and dispel magic are priceless)

4 Elvish Sorceror - IMHO absolutely necessary in any party - allows for such versatility in spellcasting without always changing spells beforehand - there seem to be only a few levels where more than 5 spells are really used anyways - though I don't really use summoning spells because they slow things down so much.

5 A multiclassed thief/cleric who honestly doesn't do much but is necessary for her skills

6 A monk (though a dual classed fighter/mage would round out the party perfectly - my stats showed that the dualled mage was more or less redundant with the sorceror so I figured more power up front would only help)

What do you think?

Old 08-24-2001, 06:39 PM   #2
oldbittercraig
Elminster

Very tank heavy...

classing the cleric and the thief is a waste... you have a cleric that can only wear leather and a thief that can't wield bladed weapons.

Lots of bricks taking hits, coupled with a half-speed advancing cleric could lead to trouble, especially considering the kensai's lack of armor and the barbarian's anti-plate restriction.

I'd ditch either the kensai or monk for a full time cleric and double the thief with a mage, giving you twice the casting, especialy considering the sorcerers limits in quantity of spells learned.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:51 PM   #3
Rikard

This is my party which is working out pretty well for me (killed Kangaxx and Frikraag at about level 12/13)

Damien - Elven Beastmaster
This was actually an experiment which worked fine as I now use the rangers stealth and Staves as weapons Also he's able to use bows - a normal ranger is better though

Rikard - Elven Sorcerer
As you said yourself Sorcerers are invaluable for any team

Iason - Assassin
He's a pretty useful fighter or at least when he's not hit (he has the lowest XP because he dead so often) can kill any mage by backstabbing (as long as they don't use true sight) And kills of liches with one press on the daystar button

Jerome - Undead Hunter
Carsomyr rox in combo with his 127% Fire resistance
Ideal against fire using monsters and undead

Dolgan - Cleric of Helm
He's where i get my True Sight spells from
Also a great healer and a moderate Fighter (with Crom Feayr)

Mikaël - Bezerker Dualled to Mage (level 8)
Bezerker Rage can come in handy against imprisonment spell users
Also backup Mage who has the spells not so often used and not memorized by my sorcerer and ofcourse a XP-Boomer with spell learning

------------------

The Rocks show the way

Old 08-24-2001, 08:21 PM   #4
The Suacy Intruder

as per oldbitercraigs comments I have treied all different sorts of cleric/ranger, straight cleric multi and dualled clerics and other combinations but I always found that they contributed minimally to actually harming the enemy. Both the thief and cleric are not so good in terms of attack per round, and all the cleric really did was sit and absorb punishment and her offensive spells I found not so useful. Same with the thief as I generally used the always search for traps script so unless the fight was big he generally just sat there. I just don't see a fighter cleric and fighter thief/swashbuckler/kensaithief or whatever being as useful as a theif/cleric and some other powerful character (in this case it was the addition of the monk). I have never had a cleric or thief pull their own and this seems to just be the best way - admit defeat and move on.

As for ditching the kensai - in every game I've played she has always killed the most baddies and the Barbarian's restrictions are not so bad because I can always throw in a shield and rage increases AC and there is some really good splint mail late in SoA.

As for the extra mage, I've gone through with a sorceror and once a dualed and once a multi classed fighter/mage - I love magic users - but have (of course) always given the robe of viconia to the sorceror and found the Fighter/Mage was just casting at dead people or taking too long to get anything done, and his THAC0 was that of a 9th (or 12th) level fighter, which is not great. I thought this time that the monk would probably kill more than the fighter/mage and the lost spells were minimal (basically the only problem is clarvoyance and the odd remove petrification when I don't have a scroll)

As per Rikard, I've tried an undead hunter once, but I find the dispell magic and true sight of the inquisitor to be absolutely indespensible and far more valuable than the bonuses of the undead hunter.

I've never tried an assassin but it looks like (in the manual at least) the Assassin's extra poison damage is static and does not increase with levels and as such it seems like the class would be more and more of a hinderance as levels increas, and they only get one attack per round.

Beastmaster has never looked really appealing and as for the Priest, you would be amazed at how giving the crom feayr to someone with more than one attack per round drastically increases its value. My Kensai uses it in her off hand and thus the celestial fury is wielded at 25 str which almost guarantees every blow is punishing.

Basically for my strategy, I have the barbarian (who moves faster) in battle first. Everyone focuses their attacks on him, and the kensai and monk approach and take the baddies at the sides. Inquisitor either meelees or bows (depending on circumstances) and can be held back bowing to protect the weaker ranged characters from being cornered, and the sorceror will breach any mages in the area so that I can set the barbarian or kensai on them and then wilt (at higher levels) death spell or chaos etc. at the group. Thief/Cleric just does a little bit of healing or can be thrown in to hold the line and allow for someone to fall back for a bit. Also, the inquisitor can use the harp that causes chaos which can also be useful.

I also found that equiping the scimitar which allows for one extra attack per round (from the druid grove) in the Barbarian's off hand works wonders for his main weapon.

Old 08-24-2001, 11:47 PM   #5
fckoln
Dungeon Master

The Suacy Intruder should get extra post *points* for these last two post.

If I try to type that much, my fingers get tired.

My multiplayer party has the following;

Monk
assasin
elven mage
dwark bezerker
drow cleric (I pretend she is drow, use Viconia's pic, evil aligned)
insert various NPC for quests...
Old 08-25-2001, 12:10 AM   #6
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

If it helps any, I try to base a party on an idea. I once made 4 Half-Orc's and 1 Human, and made the game based on 'Orc's Revenge'. I never got very far into it, as I'm not a Half-Orc or Barbarian fan..
Old 08-25-2001, 02:16 AM   #7
Lestat
Manshoon

I've once done a 6 sorcerer party... very interesting. Needless to say, most enemies never knew what hit them.

Quote:
"Hey Joe, whats up?"
"Ah, nm, you wanna beer?"
"Yea sur- wait did you hear that?"
"Hear wha- HOLY MACEDAMIA NUTS!"

6 Delayed blast fireballs come outta nowhere
Old 08-25-2001, 07:43 AM   #8
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

I haven't yet played a game with only created characters, but I'm planing on doing it and have given some thought to it's composition. this is what I came up with:
- monk; for their immunities and all-round versatility
- inquisitor; for dispel magic, true sight and carsomyr.
- plain fighter or kensai; need a fighter with grandmastery and dual-wielding katanas and longswords (perhaps axes for the plain fighter) . unlike some people however, I can't see a kensai using anything but swords; a 'sword saint' with a warhammer in the off-hand... just strikes me as weird
- elven sorcerer; sorcerer... enough said. staff of magi, robe of vecna, the usual stuff
- dual-class thief/mage, dualed at around lvl 10. that gives me good lockpicking and trap detection, other thieving abilities I don't need. but I do need a backup mage.
- dual-class fighter/cleric or ranger/cleric. dualed around lvl 9. he/she can do A LOT more than just sit in the back and cast an ocasional healing or defense spell. uses crom faeyr and either a good shield or the flail of ages in off hand.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:19 AM   #9
Sigmar
Unicorn

This is my made up party which is 1/4 of the way through ToB, first I'm going show you what it was like in SoA.
1/Thorgrim,Dwarf Berzerker (Chaotic good)
2/Felix,Human Ranger (Chaotic good)
3/Ajantis,Human Paladin (Lawful good)
4/Yeslick,Dwarf Fighter/Cleric (Lawful good)
5/Cypher, Half-elf Swashbuckler (Neutral good)
6/Xan, Elf Mage (Lawful good)

Thorgrim provided the hack and slash, Felix assisted him. Ajantis and Yeslick were there to tie up loose ends(Although at one point of the game Yeslick was 20 kills ahead of Thorgrim!). Cypher was the much needed thief and in combat he easily held his own and Xan was the mage of the party. In Tob the only things that changed were Xan changing to a wild mage and Ajantis being replaced with "Someone" else(I just assumed he died in the fight against Irenicus). This party has not let me down more then three times. It may be one sided towards combat but I like it.

------------------
"It dosn't matter whether you believe in reincarnation. The point is, does reincarnation believe in you?
Sigmar, member of clan HADB.
Old 08-25-2001, 08:20 AM   #10
Rikard

BeI get the strong impression you are a powergamer more then a Role Player
If that is the case it's indeed very usefull to have a Kensai wielding Celetial Fury and Crom Fear to do Massive damage and the Barbarian as Shield (but it might be better to use a Beserker instead) the Inquisitor can come in handy though dispell magic can be gained from Carsomyr aswell

I just do not see the use of 4 Fighter-type characters in your party
if you would take on the priest i admid he won't be a good fighter but he's a better healer then a thief/cleric and you'll need it

Also an assassin is not someone you send in for melee combat but someone you use to backstab a mage and give poison damage so the mage won't cast spells during the whole battle After that attack you can withdraw you assassin equip him with a bow and attack from range, this way your inquisitor won't have to attack from range and can fully use Carsomyr

------------------

The Rocks show the way