Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-28-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Jsalsb, this one is in honor of you

Folks, if you've got problems running the demo (and perhaps later the game), post your issues here and let's see if we can resolve them.

Jon, you first [img]smile.gif[/img]

Post your issue and your related system specs, including operating system, memory, vid card (maker and drivers), DirectX version, and whatever else gets deemed relevant as time goes on.

Be sure to look at the DL Tech Tips thread to see what the publisher has listed as issues first.

[ 03-28-2005, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
jsalsb
Elminster

Alright... here goes.

My game wont start! It installs fine, then when you launch the screen starts to go black and change to the game resolution, but then it halts and a windows error dialogue comes up.

Actually there is a thread with my exact problem over at the DreamCatcher Tech forum. Several others with the exact same issue have posted, but as yet no solutions have been suggested. My most recent post there asked people to post the model of their display adapters. Seems most (including me) are having problems with our integrated Intel video cards that share video memory.

This video card is directX compatible, I have directX 9.0c, everything else seems to be up to spec in my system. I tried disabling my symantec antivirus, shutting down my spybot stuff, shutting down the firewall even (for the love of Pete!). I ended just about every process that was not essential in task manager. I tried different screen resolutions, I tried different compatibility modes.

Based on others' experiences at the DC forum, I'm fairly sure it's that the game - or hopefully just the demo - doesn't like Intel integrated video cards.

Woe is me!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Jon, I just saw that there's a DL Debug file that may be created in your DL directory. Have a look in there and see if there's anything of interest. There's also a thread on that at Dreamcatcher Games...
-+-+-+
Old 03-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
jsalsb
Elminster

Brilliant Bungleau!! Okay, let's see where this gets us. My log ends with these two last lines:

DLORDS ERROR: DLORDS: D3D GRAPHICS DRIVER# 0 FAILURE
DLORDS: D3D GRAPHICS DRIVER# 0 FAILURE

Now, do you know what a "D3D GRAPHICS DRIVER# 0" is? Is this part of DL or a windows or system driver?

Everything in the log up to those two last lines seems to have loaded/executed fine.

Gee... I'm getting excited!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Erm... sorry to get those hopes up. Someone else on the DreamCatcher boards had it die with the same error. I believe it's your Windows system driver. About the only thing I can think of to do is to go into the driver settins and reduce them to the bare minimums, including dropping your resolution to 800x600 (the res the game plays at). Don't know if it will work or not...

The only other thought is to pick up the latest drivers for your vid card and see if they help.
-+-+-+
Old 03-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
jsalsb
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Someone else on the DreamCatcher boards had it die with the same error.
I think that "someone" on the DrteamCatcher board is me! Except that when I registered there I made a typo so I'm "jsasb". Much of the stuff posted there about this issue is from me.

I'll try cranking down all my acceleration settings and see what happens.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I saw you on there (and wondered about the name [img]smile.gif[/img] ). I also saw the mighty stamar (in his slimmed down version). The person who posted about that problem was not you, I can tell you that. They may have posted on the demo discussion thread instead of the tech forum... I looked a bit at both of them.

I hate to say it, but do you have another machine you can play it on? Things don't look bright for your current laptop...
-+-+-+
Old 03-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
jsalsb
Elminster

Yeah... I'm going to try it out on my other laptop ( a toshiba with an ATI Radeon Mobility card), but no "L" key!

By the way, I think D3D drivers are Direct3D. But I still don't know what a D3D driver #0 is. Nothing by that name comes up in the directX driver list.

I also tried running with no services or other startup functions (diagnostic mode), and tried screen res of 800x600. And tried cranking down the hardware accelerations. Nothing. Zilch.

I'll let you know how it works on the other machine once I get it loaded.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

D3D #0 sounds like the first driver, in computer terms. We usually start counting one at zero... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cranking down the audio and other acceleration may help as well.

Good luck loading it on the other machine! Fortunately, I don't think the "L" key is used for anything major... unless you've got it remapped like Wyvern
-+-+-+
Old 03-28-2005, 06:30 PM   #10
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

okay - you KNOW I'm no techie -

After googling Direct3D driver #0

I think it doesn't recognize your video driver.

Maybe if you did a google search the results would make more sense to you ?
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote