Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-07-2001, 06:49 PM   #71
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:

Now don't let that stupid translator bring you down ! I understood what you wanted to say and the translation I suggested was the exact right one. Electronic translators tend to have problems with translating figurative/idiomatic expressions properly: "to get s.o.'s hands on s.b." tanslates to " jdn. in die Finger kriegen". There is a certain similarity there, but it is not exactly the same. But don't worry about: "idiomatic expressions" is THE hardest part of the art of translation, anyway.

Cheers Ramon, it's interesting to see how these idiomatic phrases translate, I can't remember it exactly but I there was one such phrase I discovered in Latin which litterally meant something like "what much", but translated to "to cut a long story short." A machine translator would never get somthing like that, its too tied into context.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-07-2001, 07:15 PM   #72
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Cheers Ramon, it's interesting to see how these idiomatic phrases translate, I can't remember it exactly but I there was one such phrase I discovered in Latin which litterally meant something like "what much", but translated to "to cut a long story short." A machine translator would never get somthing like that, its too tied into context.

Yes, that the meaning of languages tends to be so context-related makes them so difficult(esp. for beginners) and fascinating at the same time. I have cursed that quite a few times already, because sometimes in a foreign language you just get the feeling you don't stand a chance at all, and you really don't by just studying grammar and vocabulary. But when I start to think of it, I really would not want it to be any other way.

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 04-07-2001, 07:29 PM   #73
Sir_Tainly

Quote:

Yes, that the meaning of languages tends to be so context-related makes them so difficult(esp. for beginners) and fascinating at the same time. I have cursed that quite a few times already, because sometimes in a foreign language you just get the feeling you don't stand a chance at all, and you really don't by just studying grammar and vocabulary. But when I start to think of it, I really would not want it to be any other way.

I totally agree, I remember one of the Sunday papers running a cartoon called improve your French wife the Legionaires (or something similar) The cartoon was about the French Foreign Legion, and was normally in English, however for a while it was run in French. I tranalated soe of the French and it was meaningless, so much for English French speakers improving all of the tex was colloquial expressions. A very unrearding read as you needed to be fluent to get anything out of it.

------------------

Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

HATS for sale baby!
Sponsored by Yorick
Your ad here? Call 112 -221 -123

Old 04-08-2001, 11:20 AM   #74
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Melusinchen, just in case you happen to see that, I've sent you a rather long email tonight. Hope you are feeling at least a little better.

Ramon, thank you very much, I have read it. I will write you back ASAP ok?

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 04-08-2001, 01:19 PM   #75
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Melusine, thanks for your reply here ! I said it before: just take your time, please, other things are more important.

Take care !

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 04-08-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 04:12 PM   #76
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bumping this for reasons of nostalgia - sigh ! Those were the days ... sigh !

... and why, when rereading this entire thread, did I get the impression that my English has deteriorated tremendously since back then - sigh ! ... Well, nostalgia has probably caused me to slip into an all-around gloomy mood.

------------------
So long !

R³ - proud to be the official spokesman for the most noble Lady Bilqis, Desert Rose of Ironworks

Btw, the cow is queuing in the slaughterhouse right now !

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 09-13-2001).]
Old 09-13-2001, 04:27 PM   #77
dominions
Elminster

Now where is my latin dictionary...

------------------
Hey! Like RPGs? See the DungeonCraft - RPG Game Maker on the Ironworks Gaming Forum