Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-22-2002, 06:43 AM   #1
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

I am still not very good with the 3rd ed rules yet so need some suggestion from u guys. I am thinking of have a monk with rogue ability and from the description of Monk of the older order they can dual to rogue without losing the ability to advance in monk class.
Can I have a monk with only 1 level of rogue? I will be pumping his stats into hide, disable trap and open lock.
would I suffer any penalty or is there any drawback?
or is it better to forget the one level of rogue class all together?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:12 AM   #2
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Manshoon

don't do it

it's quiet fine in the real 3rd ed rulez but not in icewinddale ...

u will loose the following abilities:

) hit monsters with fists that count as +3 weapons (level 16) (cause u can only reach 16 in a normal play ...)
) the advanced BAB for monks .. really don't know why

note i had a rogue with a single monk level - makes it possiböe to use the thundering claps ...

[ 10-22-2002, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Meriadoc Brandybuck ]
Old 10-22-2002, 12:06 PM   #3
toriuxik
Banned Smartass

Hmmm... I've been thinking on a 10 level rogue, 20 monk. The sneak attack and rogue feats would be nice I think.
toriuxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 02:18 PM   #4
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

Meriadoc,

So basically I won't loose any monk ability right? I just won't be able to attain the level 16 for the +3 fist as we tend to max out around that level.

Well then I will replace my current rogue in the team, what I am trying to do is build up a monk for HOF. You see, I am currently in chapter 5-6 in normal game play and I want to play monk in HOF but lazy to baby sit it at the beginning. I fugure by the time I finish the game in normal, my monk / rogue would be about lvl 10 [img]smile.gif[/img]

thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 02:43 PM   #5
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

From what I know about it, the problem is with the IWD II program's method of determining BAB. I believe when you dual class a monk to another class, what you lose is the special unarmed BABs that Monks get, so your attacks won't be as good as a pure Monk if you fight unarmed. Pure monks, fighting unarmed, get more attacks faster than any other class, including fighters, but it gets messed up if they multi-class (not because the rules say it should but because the game is "broken" that way). Look at the manual on page 137, that is the table whose bonuses you'd lose as a multi-classed monk.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:10 PM   #6
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

Why not just play a pure monk and give skill points in hide,disable traps etc?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:13 AM   #7
Ishanda
Dungeon Master

I have your solution

PLAY A PURE MONK.

A Monk can have Hide, Move Silently, Disable Traps, Open Locks, Search, etc.

Only problem is that the 2 most important ones, DT and OP uses 2 skill points for every level, which is still ok, because....

split your skill points into DT and OP for min 3 levels, then split between Hide and Move Silently. That ought to do great. Else you can put a point into OP and DT alternatively every level. That'll give you 8 levels for each by the end, which is cool enough I think for most uses, then again, why have DT in the first place.

Don't be scared of setting off traps, since by lv16 a monk evades most trap effects and saves against the rest. LOL
Ishanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
Kalak
The Magister

Not true, you only lose it when you use a weapon...I got a dual class and he gets it...the only problem is it takes a super-high intelligence to keep up on your rogue skills because they cost two when you level as monk.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:17 PM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

By the official rules, Monks get 4 + int modifier skill points per level. So if your monk will be doing double duty as rogue, you do need to have at least a 12 int, and 14 would probably be better.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 06:44 PM   #10
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Kalak, what level is your second class? From what I know, once you get +1 BAB with a second class, you lose the Monk's BAB bonuses fighting bare handed and with weapons.