Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default HoF turn undead

This is about my HoF game.

I have a question, will the clerics be ever able to turn udead in HoF? both my clerics are level 22 and they seem to be able to turn only 2 types of undead: jack and squat.
Are the undead in HoF so high on hit dice that they can never be turned, or will there be a time when, like in ToB, undead fights can be finished with just a single click?

Also, they both summon skeletons/zombies. Do they ever get to summon something better with Animate Undead?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: HoF turn undead

I can't seem to find a synopsis of exactly what HoF mode does. However, in browsing thru some other forums it was mentioned that HP based spells are essentially worthless. The Sleep spell was specifically mentioned as a spell that will NEVER work because of the high HP of the monsters.
This looks like a job for the, drum roll please...Six of Spades!!! Or maybe Dundee Slaytern!!
Hope this helps!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Well, I discovered that I could turn something. While fighting Lord Marudek, just before dying he summoned a few skeletons and zombies. The weakest ones. And those I managed to turn (destroy). Not that they could've hurt me in any way...

So I can turn undead, but not the ones that truly matter (3rd level DE, Burial Island...). The ones I can turn are the ones I can destroy easily anyway.

Now I wonder if I could turn the blast skeleton from Watchnight's Crypt... I never tried...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yes, you can turn undead, but it takes a long while before you can turn anything that's actually dangerous. A maxed-out paladin in the TotL Crypt can destroy mummies and ghosts, and occasionally turn greater mummies and spectral warriors. iirc, Revenants and Crypt things can't be turned. Not sure about blast skeletons, but why would you want to? Better just to pelt it from range - if you turn it and destroy it, it'll likely damage you anyway.

As a pally turns undead like a cleric 3 levels lower, a lvl 27 cleric should be able to do what I've described.

And no, Animate Dead doesn't get any better. It is only a 3rd lvl spell, after all. Only in IWD2 does Animate Dead call anything nastier than skellies and zombies.