Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 AM   #1
whacky
Emerald Dragon

'ey. Doing this internship thingy with disabled children, aged like 6-10. Children mostly have problems with speech, motor skills and mental retardation. Can you guys suggest some activities to do with 'em.\

-peace
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Drawing always entertains my sister, wither that or watching childrens TV shows.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

i dont think physical games would be a good idea with disabled children.. something easy would be nice.. like hive said.. tv works wonder.. just talking with them is good as well. .. i dont have much experience besides my little bro heh.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

depends on the disability in each child. an autistic child will probably want quiet activities, a child with speech problems (not hearing problems) may prefer visual and auditory stimulation. but i think your best bet is to ask A. their teachers, B. their parents, and C. them.

good luck
Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll go with RevRuby. Sorry, guys, but disabled does not mean un-able. It just means they don't do things the same way you'd expect someone of that age to be able to do them. Follow RR's suggestions in simply asking, first. Even if they can't talk, they can still tell you what they'd like to do.

Ask for ideas from old programs and such. You'd be surprised how fun games can be, as well as art projects, songs, crafts, reading... whatever someone age 6 to 10 would be interested in. Hide and seek, tag, puzzles, workbooks... there are a number of options.

My daughter is almost 8, and I can tell you that today (since school was cancelled for snow), she's gone outside to play in the snow, sang songs, read books, and is getting ready to have a friend over. Among other things, they'll probably play dress-up, dolls, and a couple of other things I probably don't want to know about [img]smile.gif[/img]

Treat them as individual people, not as a group with problems, and you'll have a much easier time of it. So sayeth the voice of experience.

And for what it's worth, when I was told similar things, I really didn't believe it then. Now I do...

And above all, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!

*edit* forgot to add one thing... never assume they *can't* do something they haven't tried before. Let them try it and then find out. You might be surprised at what they're able to accomplish.

[ 03-01-2005, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
whacky
Emerald Dragon

'kay thanks people [img]smile.gif[/img] Just wanted to know a few things before hand [img]smile.gif[/img]
whacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Drawing always entertains my sister, wither that or watching childrens TV shows.
I know you have a sister, but didn't know she's got dis-abilities...What has she got?