Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying

Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #171
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

OOC>>>Sorry for my delay. I have had too many things to do these days with in-laws living in the house and last night I was sick from some leftovers I had for lunch. Mistral, I like what you've done with Lord Gerald...it was better drama than I could have come up with, and I had my ideas...but I like yours better. If I can manage it, I'll get Raymond active here. If you still want me to, I'll play Gerald too.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #172
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Rehan sat next to her as he mulled over what she had told him. The mistress would probably have a death wish for Esaha now as well after she saved him. "I'm grateful your father sent you to find me. I can only imagine what it is the mistress would have to done to me, and to you as well if you were caught alone."

"I know what it feels like to lose your parents. I used to live on a farm when I was younger. My mother died a long time ago, and my father probably 5 years ago now from a fire." He placed his hand on her forearm and tried to comfort her for the loss of her father. The two sat like that for a while, watching the sun finish its crawl into the sky and the burst of energy in the garden come alive. Rehan stood up then wincing from his wounds. Extending his hand to her, he offered to help her off the bench. "We should go back inside." A small grin started to play across his features. "That healer will probably have my head for getting out of bed without his permission."

[ 07-25-2006, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #173
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OOC: Sorry to hear that you've been tied up, Larry. I was struggling to keep the timing on both sides in sync, so I decided to post ahead... thanks for being so accepting about my proposal [img]smile.gif[/img]

And yes, now that he's safely away, you can just give the occasional post about him. Raymond can come in anytime, too. I've missed reading your posts here
mistral4543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:10 AM   #174
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

"You're 30 coins short Markam." Cold blue eyes narrowed in suspicion. A middle aged man fidgeted with his hands as he started to crack under the merciless gaze. "I'll get the rest to you after you finish the job. I swear, Altair!" The man was shoved up against a wall with a knife at his throat. A small bead of blood began to form as the metal bit into skin. "You better, or else I'd hate to see what would happen to your precious wife." Slumping down the wall, the man watched the hired thief walk away.

Altair Swizec was an enigma. He was born into a noble family located in the far east, and had a bright future set before him. The young man was his father's only heir, granting him a wealthy inheritance, and marriage into the influential Jasper family. At the young age of 12, Altair ran away from home. The politics of nobility and lack of control he had in his own life drove him away from all that he knew.

Growing up on the streets of various cities proved to be a hard life, but he was free. Free to make his own choices, free to do whatever he wanted, and free to construct his own path. Thievery entered his life as a way to feed himself at first, but soon turned into a profession. Through determination and trial, the young boy managed to become an apprentice to a local legend. Berad was a master thief, and very rarely would botch a job. Altair would often be beaten due to not meeting up to Berad's outrageous expectations. The lad learned quickly though, and through the years proved to be exceptional at thievery.

Berad never returned home one night. Altair usually never kept track, but it had been days and word around the city was that old Berad had finally been caught. Keeping to the shadows, the young man made his way to where the gallows were located. Sure enough, Berad stood there with a noose already around his neck. Common sense was lost at the thought of losing his mentor, and Altair started to shove his way through the crowd. Too many people stood in his way and not enough time. The floor was dropped out beneath Berad, and the old man kept his eyes locked on Altair until the rope strangled the life out him. Guards had been called for the disruption, leaving Altair with the only option to run.

Emotions threatened to overwhelm the young man as he dodged his way through market stalls and citizens, feeling the burning anger build up inside of him. Berad was the only thing he had for family, and was practically a father to him. Emotions make you weak. They tear down your defenses and leave you vulnerable. The second you hesitate because of it is when you lose. His mentor's words rang through out his mind, forcing the young man to lock his feelings away as he escaped the city.

Several years had passed by, and now he stood at the city of Alesbridge. A disgruntled citizen had just hired him to break into Lord Gerald's manor for an artifact. Apparently the Lord had many artifacts from his adventuring days, and Altair thought of the possibilities of pocketing a few during his job. Restrained chaos gripped the city of Alesbridge, which worked in his favor. He could care less about some dumb monster off in the woods, but the aftereffects of it aided his plan. Turning to make sure Markam had left, the young man silently made his way to the manor.

It was early morning and he doubted very few people would be awake at this hour. Finding a decently concealed area, he made himself comfortable and got ready to wait the day out. He would take note of any guards, when they traded shifts, and other small facts of interest. Supposedly Lord Gerald was suffering from an injury as well, which added even more to the chaos. Altair knew this would be a simple task to complete. As if in disagreement, a chill breeze made its way across the city, gently blowing the thief's tied back black hair.

[ 07-27-2006, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Deiter Leafblade ]
Old 07-27-2006, 03:52 AM   #175
dplax
Jack Burton

Esaha took the offered hand, and taking care not to put too much weight on it, gently stood up.

"You seem to be in much better shape to me than yesterday. I shouldn't think the healer would be too angered. Besides the fresh air and nice weather can only speed your recovery."

Such beautiful sunrises had been a rarity in the forest, and she savoured the moment for a few more seconds before following Rehan back inside.

"Have you got any plans for today?" she asked once inside the ground level hall.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 AM   #176
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Rehan nodded as he lead the way back to where the infirmary was located. "After I check in with the healer I was planning to go to the library." The soldier hoped he would be able to find any information on the surrounding forest. He knew why people were being killed, but he wanted to know what started all of it. Why was there a mysterious old woman in the heart of this forest, and how did she command such an army of exotic animals? Rehan was hoping any information he could find in the ancient tomes would shed some light.

The thief watched with interest as two young figures entered the manor. They both appeared to be only a few years younger than him, but that wasn't what caught his attention. Altair knew who the blond haired man was. I see Gerald has enlisted the help of Rehan. A smirk crept its way onto his face. "This will be even more fun than I thought." he whispered at the joy of robbing a place right under Rehan's nose. Altair never thought highly of hero's, much less ones younger than himself.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #177
mistral4543

Very likely, it was her youth that helped Robyn face the next morning with some semblance of purpose and hope despite the heavy heart she carried as she climbed out of bed.

What had seemed settled the previous night now paled in comparison with the many other tasks that had to be implemented. First, there was a question of addressing public fear over the latest wrath of the forest. Second, how she would have to break the news to her mother eventually, for the truth could not be withheld for too long. Then there was the matter of dealing with Rehan and Esaha; they must keep the matter to themselves at all costs. Running the entire household in the event that her mother collapsed from grief was another matter she could not overlook. And the city's safety, not to mention this castle's defences against both foreign and internal invaders... this mental checklist was a painful reminder of all the issues that her father had had to grapple with, in his prime.

It was now left to her, Robyn of Mehlingard, to steer this burdened fleet through the crisis that surrounded her life and city. Now was the time to prove her claims of being a worthy member of the clan.

Her green eyes brightened by exertion, she hurriedly made her way out of the bedroom, remembering to lock it securely after herself.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #178
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

Several hours had passed. Several uneventful hours... Altair thought sourly. The thief wasn't sure what he was hoping for. Maybe a distressed guard, or some sense of panic overtaking their defenses. This wasn't the case though to his dismay. What is keeping things from unraveling? From his contacts, he knew of Gerald, who was currently wounded, his wife who Altair seriously doubted was holding up well, and then his young daughter. He contemplated the possible ransom money he could get from kidnapping her.

Stretching, he left his perch and went in search of food. Avoiding the main taverns, he went down alleyways that lead to a small building. Smoke hung heavily in the room and conversations were held in harsh whispers. Suspicious stares took in the young man as he made his way to the bar counter. "I need ale and whatever food you're serving today." The large bald bartender grunted in response as he lazily prepared the meal.

Altair sat with his shoulders hunched as he began to write on parchment. He wrote in detail what his surveying had gained so far, which was pathetically small. Drumming his fingers on the counter, he started to formulate a plan on how to break in. Before long a sketch on the manor had been constructed with possible entries and exits. His thoughts were disrupted as the bartender roughly sat the stew and ale next to him. Folding the parchment away, he smiled to himself, pleased with his plan that he would execute tonight. The bartender eyed the thief warily, noticing the cold smile.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #179
mistral4543

"Hear ye! Hear ye!" Clear and loud was the call of the Captain of the Guards as he gazed upon the gathering below the tower. Worried faces they wore, half wondering whether they were happy to answer the sharp bugle bursts that had interrupted the humdrum of city life that morning. Mothers held their children's hands tightly, eager lads looked up with shining eyes, cryptic merchants "harrumphed" amongst themselves, old men shook their heads and sighed, young maidens darted daring glances at eligible young men... it seemed as if all of Alesbridge had turned up to hear Lord Mehlingard's orders.

They were to be sorely disappointed.

"His Lordship has urgent matters to attend, and has left the rule of Alesbridge to Lady Robyn." Almost immediately, the buzz below erupted, but for the Captain's stentorian voice which scattered it, that he might continue with his speech. "Her Ladyship will now address you."

Quick as lightning, he stepped aside and Robyn forward, disallowing the noise to regroup. "My dear friends of Alesbridge, I bid you good morning." At this, a few cheers rang out, particularly from a few enamoured lads. "My father has kept our city safe all these years, and I trust that you will not forget that in a hurry." Stern was her voice, but not threatening; she knew that a slow, measured tone would add years of maturity to her appearance, which she had already taken pains to address. "As you all know, Rehan arrived two evenings ago to help us fight our enemy in the forest." The cheers grew as the crowd warmed up to this lady who had to bear her father's burden. "Rehan and I were in the forest yesterday, and surveyed the territory that our enemy roams about. We have both returned alive."

There were gasps all around, very audible, and she took a deep breath before going on. "This is no simple enemy that we face, my friends. And your safety remains my greatest priority." Her eyes were pleading, and she bent forward, her hands pressing on the verandah. "The fact that I have returned, shows that this creature does not slay mindlessly. She attacks only when she is threatened, or when she sees her beloved forest tarnished." What were they thinking? Why was there a complete gulf of silence? "I have thought about the future of our city, over the past hours, and my conclusion is this." Another pause. "We leave the forest alone."

"Leave the forest alone? You've got to be joking!"
"What about my loved ones? Did they die for nothing?"
"This is what happens when an ignorant though well-meaning lass takes over the helm of things!"
"You have no real power! We want another stand-in!"
"But she's right, isn't she? Leastways, she's returned alive!"
"What about my business? I need wood!!"
"It makes sense that you're left alone if you leave others alone..."
"The city isn't safe anymore, we must flee!"
"What does she know about handling administrative matters? Why should we listen to her?
"Give her a chance! We were young once, as well!"
"How do you know things will be better if you leave? There is no such guarantee in life."

She stood there, willing herself to face the confused crowd. I have to convince them. Taking a deep breath, she waited some more. Give me strength and courage, Father. And if I am not too greedy... some luck, too. But almost immediately, she flushed, remembering her responsibility for his current plight. It was not fair to ask more of him at a time like this.

Clearing her throat, she cried out. "I cannot chain you to Alesbridge, my friends! But please remember this: wherever you choose to be - here, or elsewhere - I, Robyn of Mehlingard, will remain in Alesbridge! And my decision will still be the same: to leave the forest alone, at least until we can find a better way of dealing with the enemy." As the bickerings and mutterings dispersed, the faces looked amongst themselves, quite speechless. "I will be here, to face the consequences of this decision. And those who believe in me, are more than welcome to stay with me in our lovely city."

"But what about our businesses?"
"We will incur higher transport costs to avoid the forest!"

Her eyes glistened with empathy. "I may not be personally involved in the day-to-day running of your businesses, but I can imagine your difficulties." There were grudging nods to her reply. "Today, I am setting up an office at the bottom of this tower where you may approach the clerk with your specific concerns and problems. We will look into these, one by one. That is a promise."

She had said enough, and it was time for the citizens to make their decision. Wearily, she made her last statement:

"I am with you, my friends." She almost choked on the next words.

"Are you with me?"

There was an awful pause of silence, before the crowd burst out into a chorus of whistles, cheers and "I suppose so"'s.

Stepping back, Robyn wiped away the tears that had relentlessly fought their way to her eyes.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #180
mistral4543

"What do you mean that his Lordship has gone away on urgent business?" Yasmine's eyes narrowed as she perceived the elusiveness of the steward's glance.

"It is just as I have said, my Lady." The steward bowed respectfully, grateful for yet another opportunity to escape her accusing glares. "His Lordship came back with Lady Robyn late last night when you had fallen asleep waiting for him. Her Ladyship had suffered flesh wounds while his Lordship barely had a scratch." It was a wonder that he could keep his voice steady at such a blatant lie, and the old steward's heart bled at the irony of his words. "His Lordship saw some letters on the desk of his study, read them and took off before I could even start to advise him against it." He looked up, lest she find his avoidance the key to his deception.

"There were no letters yesterday." Yasmine continued to gaze upon the steward's face which seemed a little flushed. "And you know that he always comes to me, the moment he reaches home. He has never failed to do that, since the day we wed." You are wily, Edward, for some reason. Why, I intend to find out, even if it kills me.

"I am aware of that, my Lady." Edward replied humbly, his hands clasped. "His Lordship's devotion to you is legendary." The compliment was throwing her offguard, thank goodness. "So I am even more firmly convinced that nothing but the most critical of matters could have drawn him away at such short and unheard-of notice." Was it the temperature of the room that was rising? His collar was biting against his neck.

"But what about the letters?" Yasmine persisted, instinct telling her that Edward today was not his usual self. "I saw no letters even last evening, and I was in his study all the while."

"There was a late post, my Lady." He muttered, trying not to cringe at her sharpness. Lady Robyn had certainly inherited her mother's traits to a tee.

"How dare you lie to me, Edward?!" Eyes flashing, Yasmine stormed towards him, her voice rising. "How dare you tell untruths to a mistress you have sworn allegiance to!"

"My Lady, I..."

"Ah, there you are, Edward!" To his immense relief, the door swung open and in strode his saviour. "There are guests out there who need attending to. I cannot think of anyone better to deal with them as they deserve." Without waiting for a reply, Robyn hustled the steward out of the room.

"What is all this about, Robyn? Why has your father disappeared so mysteriously and left you to take charge of his matters? Why are you not in the least worried?" Despite the battering questions, Robyn took comfort on one point; her nerves were holding up sufficiently.

"I'm not in the least worried, Mama, because I know he is safe." That much was the truth, anyway. "Before Papa left, I cajolled him into letting me have a run of the city while he is away - and that will not be so long, that I send the city into its ruins." Throwing her arms around her mother, she hugged her snugly. "You worry too much, Mama." With good reason. Releasing her embrace, she faced her mother as calmly as she could.

"Trust me, Mama. I have grown up."

Yasmine watched her daughter, and looked towards the corridor where Edward had hurried down. Whatever secret these two were hiding, now was not the right time to probe. Another time, then. Nodding abstractly, she raised her hand and touched her daughter's cheek.

"Who else can I trust but you, my darling?" And it was true. She never knew how these words plunged into her daughter's heart. All she knew was that as she trudged along the cold marble corridor, the same words echoed in her mind.

Another time... another time...

[ 07-28-2006, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: mistral4543 ]