Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

Hey everybody,

I just thought it would be cool to make a thread where everybody could tell their tale of a solo character where they made it through the whole (or nearly the whole game). Like what class/race you were, what weapons/spells your character primarily fought with. Even some highlight battles in you journeys. Stuff like that. Please share your story coz i think if everybody contributes this can be a really cool thread

i'm lookin foward to hearing about some bad arse stories from the BG Veterans
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'll up you one and point you to my thread. I finished SoA a few months ago, and am now waiting until I'm bored enough to chronicle ToB.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cg...c;f=2;t=023201

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 12:51 AM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

This is the story of my
BGT solo monk. Took him through BG1+TotSC and stopped somewhere in the middle of BG2.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

My solo assassin is currently getting his clock cleaned by Improved Illyich and Crew in the Chateau. I managed to take out the Glabrezu and Rasputin (the monk) with two seperate attacks using my traps. But I knew I would need help to kill Illyich and I didn't want to sleep and rest for 3 days to gain enough traps on my own....so I recruited some help.

I found Yoshimo on the 2nd floor of the dungeon. Once I learned he was a Bounty Hunter, I knew he was the helper I was looking for since he could set special snares. We went back downstairs and set up the ambush. I then took Yoshimo on a tour of all the duergar mages and fighters I had killed and loaded him down with the gear I wanted to save from them. Then I sent him packing (as in "pack mule" LOL) and told him to meet me at a prominent inn or tavern.

Well, the plan worked great. I have tried several times to lure Illyich into my ambush (the traps are set in the corridor leading from the library down to the sewer room where I killed the Otyugh. I've actually managed to kill Illyich a couple of times, but ran into an unexpected problem. Since it is Yoshimo's traps that are delivering the fatal blows, I am getting NO EXPERIENCE for his death (since I kicked him out of the party). AAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!!

I did manage to kill Zhivago in one of my reload attempts and got 3 potions of extra-healing from his body and I saved that game. But I really need those extra traps to kill Illyich. I can't take the guy one-on-one (at least not so far). So I am trying to just hit him with a simple arrow when he first shows up and then lure him into the ambush. This usually works and will often take him down to "Near Death", but I just can't seem to manage to finish him off before he starts drinking his own healing potions.

Cripes this is frustrating...but I am a patient man.

One thing is for certain, my assassin was undecided whether he wanted to dual to a fighter or a mage once the time came...now there is NO DOUBT. I don't know HOW many times I've wished I had some spells to help against the opponents I've met so far - and I'm not even out of the Chateau yet.

So it will definitely be Assassin -> Mage for the man called Talon.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:22 PM   #5
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Any luck with poisoning Ilyich?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:26 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

You'd try to get a Dwarven Warrior with (almost certainly) 19 CON to fail his Save vs. Death? Good luck.
SixOfSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:16 PM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
You'd try to get a Dwarven Warrior with (almost certainly) 19 CON to fail his Save vs. Death? Good luck.
NO KIDDING!!! I DID try adding poison to MY traps the first couple of times, then I realized I was just wasting my time trying to poison Illyich. He may be susceptible to a mages' "Charm" spell, but being poisoned is NOT something he has to worry about.

What I've been trying to do is to hit him with an arrow to make him chase me towards the traps. I tried backstabbing him but he turns around so fast it was hard to stay behind him. And when I DID hit him, I did crappy damage. Then I got hit with his Art of War spell and Slowed as I tried desperately to run towards my traps. That meant that he usually got a couple of free shots at me before hitting the ambush.

I figured out it was MUCH better to be as far away from him as possible so that I could have as big a headstart as possible once he started chasing me.

One of Yoshimo's traps will occasionally hit Illyich with a "Grease" spell in addition to it's damage. This gives me one or two extra rounds to fire arrows at him, but unless I hit him with my very first attack after the ambush, he drinks a potion of extra healing and then the point is usually moot.

So I'll save the poison for Zhivago (when it will actually do me some good) and keep trying to kill Illyich with straight damage alone.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:49 AM   #8
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

I have a nice story to tell.

Meet Karvell Nightblade, Elven swashbuckler. Level 14, -7 AC, 9 thaco in offhand, 6 in main, 3 attacks per round, protection from elements etc. Karvell was wandering in the government district of Athkatla, when he came upon a Gnome trying sell him illegal gear. A noble came up, shouting his mouth off at the Gnome, and asked Karvell to tell him his name. "My name doesn't concern you." Said Karvell. "Allright, Elf, Tell me your name or things get nasty!" The noble wasn't used to such disrespect. "You seriosly think your men have the strength to kill me?" Karvell chuckled to himself.
The noble summoned around 10 Amnish centurians, and Karvell ran to meet then head on. His super-low ac prevented most of them from hitting him, but he DID still take alot of damage from the sheer ammount of them. After a long fight, Karvell stood victorios atop a pile of dead centurians.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:56 AM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

[quote]Originally posted by Cerek:
Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

What I've been trying to do is to hit him with an arrow to make him chase me towards the traps. I tried backstabbing him but he turns around so fast it was hard to stay behind him. And when I DID hit him, I did crappy damage.
AFAIK Ilyich is a Barbarian so you can't backstabb him at all. When he slows you gulp Oil of Speed.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:42 AM   #10
theGrimm
Manshoon

Er, I don't have a thread to offer, but I soloed a Cleric/Mage.

I also completed ToB on my very first attempt with this char, he's that powerful. Ok, I did reload, but not often, mostly due to traps.

My equipment changed throughout depending on the situation. Funnily enough, I skipped many of the quests, including most of Watchers Keep.

Tactics - Mosty project image cheese
EITHER Project Image + Improved Alacrity = death
OR Project Image + summons + haste = death
depending on the situation.
theGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote