Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I'm working with two different documents, and everything starts out just fine. Then I do the dreadful copy, and paste, and BAM, WHAM, no longer does the automatic spell checker and grammer work when one starts typing.

What does one need to do to acquire the powers of M$ to revert back to auto spell and grammer check?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

How about Tools, Options, Spelling and Grammar, and check the boxes for "Check spelling/grammar as you type"?

Don't know how they're getting un-set, but that should let you put 'em back.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

B, Been there done that, and can still misspell some words, and place gramatical errors in there and they won't be detected. So, I wont know on the others.

I went as far as to copy text only and paste text only into a new document, but alas, no enchilada.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmmm.... have the dictionaries been recently updated? Perhaps some of this bad stuff is now being considered acceptible by Word. Does it pick the stuff up if you do an F7 (IIRC - spelling/grammar check)?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:08 AM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

http://www.openoffice.org/

Felix: If you're particularly fed up with Word, I recommend OpenOffice, a free office suite. Aside from being free, it's got the power of compatibility -allowing you to open and save in many formats. They're similar enough to eachother that you can pick it up with minimal hiccups.

If you're not feeling adventurous about something so mundane, give it a thought next time you're faced with plunking down the cash for a new office suite.
Lucern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:18 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hmm, I might have to think about that, I currently run the M$ Office Suite, but hey, I'm up for some free stuff.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 10:48 AM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Frustrated yes, very much so. Certified in Excel, Access, and Power Point, who'd thunk needing Word?
Anyhow, as a contractor I'm provided with MS Office 2003. I must update and write POI (Program of Instruction) with embedded; tables, graphs, charts, .PPT, .EXL, HTML, and video feeds for my instructors.

It becomes comical with the loss of auto spell check. Grammer is mainly used for a guide, for everyone knows military documentation has zero grammer.

If a fresh document is started everything is 'fine' but when the 'old' document is re-loaded, everything turns back to crapola.

I had 5 pains open, 3 Word (2 top/bottom view), 1 .ppt and 1 .exl. I copied and pasted a table from 1 and pasted it into 'current' work. When I went to edit this paste into content, I misspelled a word, and that's when I realized there was an issue. All options have bee reset to default, all documents are 'unlocked' etc. Almost to the point of start over on this project.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 08-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Zebodog

I might be wrong, but I didn't think that Words spell and grammer check work with imbeded items, such as tables imported from excel.

Some additional info.

http://www.mcse.ms/message1713085.html

http://domino.lancs.ac.uk/pub/usghel...C?OpenDocument

It does seem that MS Word 2003 has issues with it's spell check. Check the above links for work arounds.

[ 08-14-2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Zebodog ]
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:54 AM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebodog:
http://www.mcse.ms/message1713085.html
You Da Man Z, [img]graemlins/tank.gif[/img]

Quote:
"In the document where this occurs, press Ctrl+A to select all of
the text, click on Tools | Language | Set Language | language> | uncheck the "Detect language automatically" and "Do
not check spelling or grammar" boxes | Default | OK. Then press
F7 to rerun spelling and grammar checks."

Badda Bing, Badda Bam, saved to M$ OneNote!

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 08-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Where was Lennon?
Did nobody miss him in this conversation???