Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I sent an e-mail to a friend who has Earthlink for his ISP. I got an automated message back stating that since I was not yet in his approved list of people who can e-mail him, I would have to fill out a questionaire to ask permission to be added to his list and so that my first message would be sent.

I think that is awsome and looked into it.

http://www.earthlink.net/software/fr...blocker/addon/

It is free for all Earthlink users. But I use Roadrunner at this time. I cannot find any info that mentions that RR has this add-on. Does anyone know of a similar program or service that offers such a strong protection?

[ 07-11-2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 07-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I don't know, Larry... it looks like you can download and install it, even if you're not a member. I don't know if it asks you for money later, or just works for a while, or what.

Basically, it's operating on a black/white/greylist manner. Any incoming email is checked against the blacklist. If it's on there, head to the trash. Then, check the whitelist. If it's on there, go to the inbox. If it's still around, send it to the "suspect" folder so you can train it later.

Mailwasher can do something similar, and can be trained to handle most of your routine emails. I'm sure there are others.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Netscape has this feature built in.

You can set it up to send stuff to a junk folder, or just delete it.

It's trainable, as well.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Netscape has this feature built in.

You can set it up to send stuff to a junk folder, or just delete it.

It's trainable, as well.
So does Mozilla Thunderbird. Mainly because Netscape Mail is based on Thunderbird (and, if the age of their browser portion is anything to go by, an outdated version of Thunderbird). As a bonus, Thunderbird also doesn't have plugs to all kinds of AOL Crap. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Infact, on this note, the email clients are very much like the browsers: almost all of them have some kind of anti-spam filters (I think Sylpheed & The Bat! have one, Thunderbird/Mozilla Mail/Netscape Mail are basically the same program (at various degrees of up-to-date-ness and it has one, Opera M2 almost certainly would, etc). Outlook and Outlook Express, though, require you to have all kinds of addins to stop the annoying stuff...
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote