Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I've finished the NWN before. Now I'm playing with SoU installed but without HoTu. But before I play SoU I'd like to run through the original official campaign once again. and then start SoU with a new level 1 char (not the same from the original campaign)

1)Is it possible to use the new Sou (prestige)classes, feats, skills and spells in the original official campaign?

2) In the original campaign I plan playing sorcere/mage with arcane archer (if possible) and having halforc henchman. Is it better to take mage or sorceror and how to distribute the levesl?

2)Whats the xp cap of SoU? what level I am likely to reach in the SoU campaign if I start from level 1 and play with henchmen?

[ 07-11-2005, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 07-12-2005, 05:28 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

1) Yes. They'll be available normally.

2) Well, basically this is the same discussion as in straight-class wizard vs. straight-class sorceror. Sorcerors get more fire-power and "on-the-fly-adaptability", while wizards get more versatility, but have to plan ahaid. As well, wizards get more skillpoints due to high INT, plus some bonus feats.
As to the best level distribution w/ AA, I can't help you there since I've never played such a build.

3) SoU's level cap is 20, I believe. You'll finish at around level 12-14, depending on your playing style.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #3
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

J'aran is dead on on number 3, and number 1. Personally, I'd choose one, or the other, but not both. Especially if your going to add AA to the mix, you'll be putting attribute points all over the board, and will not be able to get effectual stats on any one class. ie: Sorcs need high cha, wizards need high int, and AA's need high dex to be effective with the bow. You get one stat point every four lvls, after char creation. You can't build an effective char that way. Even with the Hordes expansion, you'd be hard pressed to be effective by lvl 40.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

OK thank you very much for the replys u2.

I didnt intend to play bothe sorc and mage. Only one. I want to do the mage guild quests which I couldnt before. Think I'll pick mage. I havent played with mage spells before so I wouldnt want to pick the wrong ones for sorceror.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

I just started the OC over again after having played through NWN, SOU and HOTU with a monk. I also chose a magic user to get those quests. I choose a wizard for the extra skill points high intelligence would give and the bonus feats. I find myself using a lot of high damage offensive spells though, which is probably more consistant with sorceror style of play, but then I am still learning how to play a magic user. I usually play as a fighter or paladin (in the BG series), so magic wielding is different from my usual style. I have put some skill points in disarm traps and am finding it very useful, since I am skipping henchmen for the most part, to get the extra XP. I only have about 5 skill points in disarm traps, but examining a trap before attempting to disarm it adds and extra 20 skill points for that particular trap, so I have been able to disarm nearly every trap I detect. I pretty much used Tomi exclusively my first time through, mainly so he could disarm traps and unlock chests etc for me, though the monk could bash open chests and doors withoug too much trouble. Now with knock, I can unlock nearly all the chests and doors I need to.

I am still doing the henchmen quests, but after recruiting a henchman, I immediately return to the temple and then leave them there. Every so often when I return to Aribeth in the temple, I have them join again, talk to them one by one to get a little more of each henchman quest story, then cut them loose again. That way I just return when I find their quest item, join up, get the reward, and then let them loose again. I don't have to share any XP that way. It does mean that I have to sneak around and rest a lot more.

Another thing I have discovered is that scrolls and wands are great for having extra spells, but as your magic user gets up in levels, the spells you actually memorise yourself and use will be a lot more powerful than those from a scroll or wand. Already, for example, my wizard has three magic missle projectiles vs the two I get if I use a wand of magic missles I liberated somewhere.
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Don't feel bad about using high dmg offensive spells as a mage, that is a mages strength. Good idea on the henchmen, wonder why I never thought of that.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote