Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-15-2003, 02:40 AM   #1
the mighty stamar

I havent even started the game yet.

But right now Im playing through wizardry 8 for the first time and Id like to say.... its the best game ever made!!1
So I decided my next crp will be something similar, wizards and warriors. Its not made by the same people but it has some of the same dna. Maybe they are cousins in law.
But there is no wizardry 9 so its the next best thing. So soon I might be asking you all questions. Still a couple weeks yet til i finish w8 I think.

What do you all think about ww and w8 how are they similar or different.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 02:50 AM   #2
macoati
Manshoon

Welcome to the Board, mighty stamar. You will find us to be of great help! Ask your questions and you shall receive solid answers.

Before you start WW, please let us know what OS you are using... XP and Win2k (NT) have some very specific issues with WW and will require a few things from you before you can actually experience the whole of the Gael Serran.

WW and the Wizardry series are actually very close cousins. The maker of WW, D. W. Bradley (may his name be forever enshrined in the historeis!), was the driving force behind the Wizardry series for many years. I was actually somewhat disappointed by W8 but that comes from playing W1-W7 and over-anticipating the final conclusion. You will find WW to be different in it's approach to combat, character developement, and storyline. WW is truely one the best CRPG's I've ever played. It has some quirks, bugs, and interesting side notes because it was rushed to market and not given the full red-carpet treatment that W8 got but it is a fabulous game!

Enjoy your travels and make you enemies quake at the sight of your might!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:02 AM   #3
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Gday the mighty stamar,
Welcome to the forum.
I've heard it said that W&W is the real W8. I cant say that from 1st hand info as my pc cant handle W8. However W&W is the most addictive game I have ever played & I am sure that you will enjoy it.
There is a saying they have around here that is very W&W specific.
THEY
WILL
HUNT
YOU
DOWN
Good luck.

[ 02-15-2003, 04:03 AM: Message edited by: kev ]
Old 02-15-2003, 04:38 AM   #4
the mighty stamar

Well... I havent gotten it yet.
But I play on a sony laptop amd 1800 32mbg4 420 mx 256mb ram xp pro.
When I do get it Ill look through the faq about installing it I have heard something about decompressing something or other.

Ya well Ive enjoyed wizardry 8 so much I read up on a lot about it in various forums and thats where I heard about wizards and warriors.
Wizardry 8 was made by the jagged alliance team. It doesnt help that I play the game a year after everyone else is tired of it lol.
I did play older wizardrysm,bard tales, might and magic and what not back in the day. Never wizardry 7, but its getting too retro there for me to try out now. If I see it on an abandonware site I will check it out...
I enjoyed wizardry 8 more than nwn morrowind or divine divinity or arx fatalis... the more recent crpgs I played in the last year. I dont know why the type of game has fallen out of favor its much better than the doom type game made in the last year.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:59 AM   #5
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to our forum The MIghty Stamar. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] IIRC ther ewas a thread like this not too long ago. I´ll see if I can dig that one up for you. IMO Wizards&Warriors is far superior to the Wizardry series (played 4-8). Hmm can´t find the thread. Let´s hope someone else has more luck than me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2003, 07:38 AM   #6
the mighty stamar

Well I did do a quick peek recently. All I did was make some characters and run outside the town.

So far it looks very cool. Only the speech with the wizard and the armorer was not functioning, all I saw was the subtitles of what they were saying. I will look into it again at a later date as I said Im doing wiz 8 first I think.

It looks very cool. Seems to be using the 'phased' setting of might and magic games. I dont suppose there is a setting of turn based exactly.
Old 02-15-2003, 07:58 AM   #7
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Welcome to The Board, the mighty stamar !!!!

Adventures....abound
....if you, keep an open mind.

This game...and this forum
....are the BEST.....you will find.

There is no speech....for the shop keepers, only subtitles.

Also note...there is a Real-Time Toggle...'T'...(on your keyboard) for battle...but it does not lock. You have to use it every time, you start a battle.

Have Fun...and keep us posted.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:36 PM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, the mighty stamar!!!

As already mentioned, you'll find a lot of friendly help on this board!

Personally, I like W&W better than Wiz8. I'm not fond of games that mix sci-fi with fantasy. I have played sci-fi games and enjoyed them very much. I just don't like them mixed within the same game. (shrug)

One of W&W's strong points is the flexible character development. You can mold your characters to any purpose and just about any combination of characters works well! This great flexibility is also great motivation to replay the game, something I find myself rarely inspired to do with most CRPGs.

W&W does have it's quirks and it's bugs but many of us have grown rather fond of them over time. I think once you get into it, you'll find W&W to be an excellent game!!

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, the mighty stamar. May your adventures in the Gael Serran fuel the reporters at the GSE for months to come...

As noted, you'll want to check the Technical Answers thread up top for directions on making W&W play under Win XP. And do keep us posted on your adventures -- we're all eager to follow along!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #10
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board. I must say I quite envy you that you still have all the mysteries and puzzles of Wizards and Warriors ahead of you. (Sigh). How I wish that were me... Mr. Bradley, we will prostrate ourselves, we will do anything, we do not care if we get to kill Sabastio, we do not care if the book of misfortune still serves no purpose... you may even omit mooncraft. All we beg of you is PLEASE, give us a Wizards and Warriors 2... (sob, sob).

Never mind me, Mighty Stamar, it is just that I get a bit nostalgic now and then... Anyway it is nice to have you with us! We hope to hear much from you in the future.