Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Shocked Snow in Central Florida?!?!?!!

Wow, this cold snap is one of the longest I've seen, and the last time it snowed here in central Florida, it was like 1989 I think. I'm from Louisville Kentucky, so I know all about it, but it'd be fun to see how people down here deal with it. I hope it DOES snow.. Driving in it would suck though. no salt or plows here.

Check this forecast out:

Rest of Tonight (friday night)
Cloudy. Chance of showers. Showers may be mixed with light snow and sleet at times. Lows in the mid 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent. Lowest wind chill readings 24 to 34.

Saturday
Cloudy with a chance of showers...possibly mixed with light snow and sleet at times in the morning...then partly cloudy in the afternoon. Colder. Highs in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent. Wind chill readings 24 to 34.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Snow in Central Florida?!?!?!!

Don't worry, unless you're originally from the hills in Kentucky, people are just as dumb in KY driving in the snow as they are in FL, LOL. In either place, snow shuts everything down. Well, maybe not really, but mostly. Coming from growing up in the hills of Appalaichain Kentucky (during the cold snaps of the 70's and early 80's) to living in NY, VT, and now Chicago, I've just got to laugh at people who don't know how to deal with snow.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Eh, we did fine in Louisville, but you always see some idiots doing 360's.. lol.
I do kinda hope it snows enough just to see how people freak.. and everything shuts down. heheh

It's funny though, here in Florida, I see people get all bundled up in coats when its only like 65F... to me, that's nice..
a break from the humidity is good too.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Idiots doing 360* even @ only 15MPH STILL occurs. People's inability to drive here is WHY most things shut-down, and gives me ample opportunity to get a daily laugh.

@Z, my vintage "Polaroid" is dated Jan 19, 1977 with snow on the ground. IIRC, we did not go to school that day, and was the first Hillsborough county "snow day" officially recorded.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

The temperature here this morning was 1 degree (very cold for our area). We had a light snow on Thursday (only 1-2 inches), but the temperature has been in the teens for almost a week, which means everything is frozen solid.

Unfortunately, we don't get enough snow anymore for the residents to know how to drive on it. I feel comfortable because of things my dad taught me, but I've not had many opportunities to actually practice them.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I actually took Driver's Ed on the snow, my first poor experience driving was on a dry road. I was used to driving on slippery roads, the dry thing confused my teenaged mind. I just love watching the idiots with 4x4's driving like it's nothing, though. They seem to forget that being able to go doesn't equate being able to stop.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertthebard View Post
I actually took Driver's Ed on the snow, my first poor experience driving was on a dry road. I was used to driving on slippery roads, the dry thing confused my teenaged mind. I just love watching the idiots with 4x4's driving like it's nothing, though. They seem to forget that being able to go doesn't equate being able to stop.
How true. Several years ago, we had a decent snowfall one winter. Princess and I were heading back home on a 4-lane highway after visiting my parents. One lane was fairly clear, but the other was still covered in snow (and possibly ice). I was driving around 45mph or so and these teenagers came zipping by me doing between 55-60mph. I kept expecting to see them wrapped around the next bridge or guardrail we came to or sitting upside down on the side of the road.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Regards from Norway with -13F and 3 feet snow. An unusually harsh winter, I'll admit to that...
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
machinehead
Drizzt Do'Urden

Good tires and slow speed = very easy driving in snow. Having driven in snow for 30+ years helps too.
machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Well, we did see some flurries and sleet (lol, the newspaper called it 'ice pellets' heheh) which was cool.

In Louisville, I remember staying up all night when it would snow, hoping that we'd have a snow day, but damn those Jefferson County Schools... they rarely gave us snow days.. (because with a big city, we had the salt trucks, plows) grr.. so I'd be tired as hell, and stay home and sleep sometimes. LOL! or go play in it.

I threw a snowball at a car once, and they slammed on their breaks, and backed up, and chased me through the neighborhood... It wasn't an ice ball, just loose snow. The guy was yelling at us like we opened up a P90 on his car.

We lost him. hehe (when we hit the back of his car, he was going like 10mph) so we didn't endanger him or anything. made a snow-chick with a bikini... hahaha