Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-19-2003, 06:38 AM   #1
Masklinn

Cerek's post asking us to rate some games gave me an idea.

Name here your 5 all-time favourite video games, in order of preference [img]smile.gif[/img]
Mention what they were played on as well. (Yeah, for example : Aladdin was different on PC and SNES).

After a while, I will gather infos and sort out the 5 most loved games of all IW [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-19-2003, 06:47 AM   #2
Irongrinder

1) Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (N64)
The best game ever. My dream coming true on the N64 after waiting a long time. It was the only reason why I bought the N64 and the following up game Majorah's Mask had me dissapointed.

2) Baldur's Gate II (PC)
The Game which brought me into RPG's. It was the first D&D game after starting with hack and slash RPG's like Diablo 1 and 2.

3) Zelda (SNES)
Still one of the best games, with a magnificent story, really sucking me up in the game and getting me into Zelda.

4) Transport Tycoon (PC)
One of the most addicitive games ever and still nice to play these days. Better then just simple building like Sim City. Never really liked that one.

5) Unreal Tournament (PC)
I loved all the different kinds of modes, espescially the assault mode. I haven't played the newer version yet, but this game got a grip on me. Downloaded a shitload of mods for it.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:05 AM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

I´ve only played PC games.

1) Civilization. Not sure which is the best but I´ll go with CivII. There is no other game that has stolen so many hours of my life. They are all still installed on my computer, of course the original Civ runs a bit erratic, and I still get caught up in those games.

2) The Elder Scrolls: Arena. Yepp I still argue that this game is the best in the series. Daggerfall and Morrowind are also great games but there are several like them. When arena was released it was somewhat unique. I mean 400 towns to visit and beautiful graphics for those days.

3) System Shock. Although I´m not a fan of 1st person shooters these two games had me hooked. Scary environment, great story etc.

4) Thief: The dark project. I could have picked Thief 2 as well. Great game! This is the game that introduced the thief class in RPG as a wort while class to play.

5) Baldur´s gate. A very close call with Wizards&Warriors on this one. I enjoyed BG thoroughly, although I found it almost, *cough* too easy *cough*. Still, it gets my vote.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:09 AM   #4
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

1) Gauntlet - The arcade version. Yorick and I used to pump that thing with 20c pieces every holidays.
"Valkyrie needs food; badly" "Elf is about to die"
I can still see it and hear the music in my head. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

2) Impossible Mission - Commodore 64. "stay a while, stay FOREVER!" - need I say more? "Destroy him my robots!"

3) Goldeneye - SNES N64 - Utterly addictive. Loved Big Head and Paintball modes.

4) Pirates - Amiga. Now let's see a sloop or a saloon?

5) BG1 - Led to a whole new part of life online. Oh and a great game!

[ 02-19-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:02 AM   #5
Jorath Calar
Harper

1. Baldur's Gate series (I had pretty much given up on Computer games and and roleplaying... was way too busy growing up... [img]smile.gif[/img] then I played BG1 and my whole life changed for the better... [img]smile.gif[/img] )

2. Chaos Strikes Back (On AtariST 512) first roleplay game I ever got into... many sleepless nights and many missed college classes... [img]smile.gif[/img] )

3. Monkey Island 1 (also on Atari, Just to much fun... [img]smile.gif[/img] )

4. Warcraft 2 (first RTS I got into...)

5. Turrican (on my trusty old Commodore 64... [img]smile.gif[/img] this game was just so cool when it came out... I finished it proably hundred times and knew it so well that one time I finished it and still had 54 extra lives... [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 02-19-2003, 08:09 AM   #6
MagiK

1. Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
2. Ultima (at the time it was the only ultima in the world)
3. Zork
4. Kampfgruppe
5. Lode Runner

All for the Apple II+ These stole my life for a couple of years [img]smile.gif[/img]

For modern games, I agree with Willow that nothing has taken more hours from me than Civ II and Civ III. As a matter of fact, some of my coworkers and I keep a game of Civ III running in the background while we work and take turns when we can. (single player games, not multi...)

And the BG series also has to be listed too.

[ 02-19-2003, 08:10 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 02-19-2003, 08:46 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

1.Morrowind (PC)
2.Baldurs Gate series (PC/Mac)
3.Planescape:Torment (PC)
4.Myst (PC)
5.Pirates (Amiga)
6.Civilisation (PC)

[ 02-19-2003, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 02-19-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

1)X-Com
2)BG2
3)Civilzation III
4)Colonization
5)Zelda series (Nes, Snes)

X-Com is still my favorite game. Addictive and very time consuming. The random factors made every mission interesting and made for very high replay satisfaction. If you haven't played it before. PLAY IT! PLAY IT! PLAY IT!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:13 PM   #9
realbinky
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonis:
[QB]

2) Impossible Mission - Commodore 64. "stay a while, stay FOREVER!" - need I say more? "Destroy him my robots!"

QB]
OMG! I LOVED this game. I can barely remember it, but DAMN!

Oh, and Jumpman, any platform (not JR, or JM2, just Jumpman)

Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Heroes of M&M III

Bard's Tale I - my very first CRPG. My friend and I cracked the code one night and spent HOURS figuring out all the item numbers. We found a broom and an old man figurine - beat that!
Old 02-19-2003, 02:23 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

only the top five? OK. Lets see.

UFO - enemy unknown (aka "X-COM - UFO defence").On PC. Real time resource management, turn based tactical combat. With big explosions, freaky aliens and crap graphics. Best game ever.

Elite+ . PC, moslo'ed. Although all versions are good. Archimedes version is reputedly the best, although there are no good emulators. Has anyone not heard of this one? Best game ever.

Transport Tycoon. PC. railroad tycoon and suchlike are good games, but this one just has that something that they lack. A depth of play that got lost with the later games. Crap graphics though.

X-Wing. PC. Space combat simulator. One of the harder games out there. I dont know many people that beat this one honestly. I barely did it myself. never did get the B-wing expansion finished.

Civilisation. PC. CivII may be better technicaly, but Civ was the original that I grew up with. Used to be able to get to alpha centauri in an afternoon, but only on easy.