Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
antryg
Fzoul Chembryl

I realize that Luvian is the IW's resident Jordan apologist, so I apologize in advance to him for this post. The truth remains that someone needs to get Robert Jordan listen to those of us who read. How many of you have invested huge amounts of time and money into the Wheel of Time? The first 5-6 books were great. I couldn't wait for the next book to come out. Now it appears that 'ol Robert has decided to become a dairy farmer. All he is doing now is milking his cash cow.

That is why I am recruiting people to join with me in the "NEW" FLAT TIRE OF TIME CLUB. There are no membership dues but you get a keen decoder ring and the clubhouse has that fresh new car smell. This new club filled with the power and prestige of IW members will be a beacon, bringing Robert Jordan back to his senses, so that he will finally wrap up this story before we die of old age.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:38 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

As the official IW's Jordan apologist, it's my job to say that his books are great and that I like them all, and that the only problem in them is that he wait to long between each release.

That being said, I think the people have already spoken. I think it's obvious less people will buy his new book, and less sell mean less interest, wich mean less money, so I'm pretty sure he'll realise that if he want money he has to get back on track a little.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:21 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

You two are funny!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:50 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Hey Memnoch, I saw Dance of Demons for sale at my local bookstore, I think I remember hearing about it, should I buy it? What do you think about it?

[ 01-22-2003, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Hey Memnoch, I saw Dance of Demons for sale at my local bookstore, I think I remember hearing about it, should I buy it? What do you think about it?
Is this a trick question? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

Click here to see what I think about it.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

I agree after the 6th one he tried to include to many characters, as well as too many mundane details about their lives. I was a huge advocate of WoT forever, before it became what it is today. I read the first 7 books as they were released, and couldn't wait for the next one, but Robby does need to do some work on the last couple. To be blunt about them, they bored the heck out of me. I don't know if as I got older, now I demand more out of a novel, or if they just got worse, my guess is of the latter. I honestly think he's just going to try to publish an anthology so people can keep track of everything going on.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:18 AM   #7
Tar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
I agree after the 6th one he tried to include to many characters, as well as too many mundane details about their lives. I was a huge advocate of WoT forever, before it became what it is today. I read the first 7 books as they were released, and couldn't wait for the next one, but Robby does need to do some work on the last couple. To be blunt about them, they bored the heck out of me. I don't know if as I got older, now I demand more out of a novel, or if they just got worse, my guess is of the latter. I honestly think he's just going to try to publish an anthology so people can keep track of everything going on.
In other words, its become a soap opera. And honestly, I really really can't stand soap operas that go on and on forever, I mean, its really ridiculous.
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:42 AM   #8
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

Sounds like Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth series. I really liked the first two books but, come on it has turned into a soap. I also think the hero Richard is actually losing intelligence as the series progresses.
Wulfere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:14 AM   #9
Tar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Exactly! Same with Junny Wurt's latest series, you can summarise plot of the entire book of a few hundred pages in a few sentences. Heck her series has been spawning off series of their own till I lost count what book it is. Geez, whats with all these fantasy authors?
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
Thoran
Galvatron

Martin, Hobb, Williams... these guys (& gal) are writing tight fantasy, Martin is arguably the best I've ever read (Song of Ice & Fire). It CAN be done, you just can't drag a series out for 10 books, seems to me 5 should be the MAX any author should endeavor to attack in a single story (which isn't to say you can't have multiple series')
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote