Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum For the New Ironworks Reviews - Written or Video?

I think it'd be cool to do a video review of games and talk about it as I show the game off in HD video. I would show off all the aspects most video reviewers don't.. the options, video support and other things..

I know others do it, but I just wanted to see if you'd like to have that
rather than written reviews. (for some, I may add both for one game)..
(if there's a patch that fixes issues and things..)

Let me know!! The new site will be state of the art, just as IW was way back in 1998.
Time to usher in the third age of IW!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: For the New Ironworks Reviews - Written or Video?

Personally I never do the televised stuff, I like to read it and muck my way through it - but its always handy to have a link with a video of Gameplay & Cinematic in the article itself.

looking forward to the new stuff.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah. I've been thinking... I may do both. but the video will give people locations visually where cool items are or how to deal with boss fights.

Still working it up...

Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Mmmmh that actually sounds pretty cool!
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
I think it'd be cool to do a video review of games and talk about it as I show the game off in HD video. I would show off all the aspects most video reviewers don't.. the options, video support and other things..
I would be far more interested in seeing a full run down on the game options, character development, some sample gameplay for combat or magic and new game features than hearing a full blown review. For example, seeing how the overland travel system and monster spawn system in SoZ worked would have been a nice touch. If there is a crafting system, some videos showing how it all fits together would be cool.

If you want to add a full blown "Let's Play ......" that could be cool. But you're going to have tons of folks doing that as well as "How do you kill the Big Boss Foozle?" videos. Your call but you might want to focus on things that make the reviews somewhat unique.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah Micah, I would cover stuff many others overlook or just don't cover--like you said, the small things.. the game options, does it have keyboard shortcuts that can be reconfigured, video and audio features etc..

And also cover the basics of the gameplay--magic system, inventory system and other things you said are great! (wrote them down). (I agree, others will cover the boss battles, but I would just give some quick tips on how to help them win.

I LOVE watching the Lets Play by NecroScope.. he's funny as hell sometimes, and just did a lets play on StoneKeep.. That old ass game--I didn't really like it and never finished it, so watching it was fun, yet geez.. boring. lol seemed like every level looked the same forever.

But yeah, should be good.. Anyone know a good HD webcam? I would use my headset for the mic.. want it to be at least 1080p so you can see the games in clear crisp video.
The worst thing about some reviewed games is when they're in 480 and blurry as hell but I deal with it..

Old 07-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You can use free software like Camstudio, Wegame, and Fraps to do movies and then edit them later. Check out this link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-a-Let's-Play

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Yeah, I'm going with Fraps-- its cheap to register too. They've been around forever.

I'll look at the others though.. maybe they do something better than fraps.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I'd definatly go with Snagit instead of fraps - I changed about a year ago and haven't regretted it.

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Last Sunday, I was reading CTRL+ALT+DEL and I always enjoy this guy's reviews of games, even though I have not played a game in forever...but I like reading about them...anyway, sometimes he has videos to games being played as intros and I saw this one on CubeWorld and realized that it was a game I'd LOVE to own and play...and I came to this realization only after "watching" it being played. http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20130708

I've also seen an earlier walkthrough of a zombie survival game where this female character climbed to the top of a tower and fell off, and the zombies rips your character to shreds...I was like I want this game!

So yeah...I could totally see Ironworks taking back our place on the Web as THE place to go for info/input on games, and I think your approach is plausible.