Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #31
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: Friedrich's Revenge

Friedrich's Revenge is making progress. One thing I dealt with was that I want time to pass when the party trains. I think I have the solution now. Of course, it needs a quite complicated array of logic blocks...
I am wondering if there could be a training hall event which only allows training, but not character removement and other things, and if time passing could be already implemented (perhaps optionally).

Last edited by Dinonykos; 08-12-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Dinonykos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #32
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinonykos View Post
Friedrich's Revenge is making progress. One thing I dealt with was that I want time to pass when the party trains. I think I have the solution now. Of course, it needs a quite complicated array of logic blocks...
I am wondering if there could be a training hall event which only allows training, but not character removement and other things, and if time passing could be already implemented (perhaps optionally).
I'm glad to hear that you're making progress on the most-looked forward-to design thus far.

The kind of Training Hall event you are requesting is something that could be mimicked using a combination of Who Tries, Pass Time and Logic Block events. As far as being it's own event, that is something for post version 1.0.

I know this is is possible, because I've been wanting to handle the training of PCs different myself - I want them to have to pass a "test" to gain the next level.

I guess now that I look at my notes, this is something that requires a more recent version than .914 because you need to be able to set a PC's level...
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #33
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion

Question: does setting a characters level with script to the next higher level improve the HP, thaco (or hit chart if you prefer), and saves? or do you have to do that manually?

ST
Old 08-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #34
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentThief View Post
Question: does setting a characters level with script to the next higher level improve the HP, thaco (or hit chart if you prefer), and saves? or do you have to do that manually?

ST
I don't know yet, haven't got my 'idea' up and running. I do know that THAC0 is calculated as a runtime variable, so that will update automatically - same thing for saving throws. Based on this same reasoning, HP will not and XP may or may not since this has bee recently reworked (where DC looks for this info) I don't know yet.

Whenever I get around to trying this, I'll let y'all know.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #35
nologgie
Dungeon Master

I hope it works!

I'd like to go the Eye of the Beholder route: when your xp click over the limit, you go up a level - no training hall involved. Of course mages will have to get their spells elsewhere.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #36
manikus
Jack Burton

It is conceivable to write a script that is attached to a class (or all classes) that checks at regular intervals to see if the party members should be 'promoted' and then does it.

Way beyond the work that I want to put in on it, but I think it can be readily enough done.

Then you could have a Training Hall free design but still advance in levels.

You could also do it a different way, and have a zone event that checks on each step...you could even have a portable Training Hall this way, maybe like a training manual the party carries with them or something.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #37
nologgie
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
It is conceivable to write a script that is attached to a class (or all classes) that checks at regular intervals to see if the party members should be 'promoted' and then does it.

Way beyond the work that I want to put in on it, but I think it can be readily enough done.

Then you could have a Training Hall free design but still advance in levels.

You could also do it a different way, and have a zone event that checks on each step...you could even have a portable Training Hall this way, maybe like a training manual the party carries with them or something.
It's pretty retro, but back when I started playing D&D there were no training halls. You had to leave the combat area (spend a night in town) before advancement took place.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #38
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

What I wanted to do was a Logic Block that checked the Level of all characters before entering the Training Hall. Then, the Quest "Character1Lvl" should store the Level. After visiting the Training Hall, another Logic Block should compare the Character Level with the value stored in "Character1Lvl" to test whether or not the character had trained.

Unfortunately, since the Levels are divided into Thief, Fighter, MU and so on levels the script turned out to be quite complicated, and though I obviously did not make a scripting mistake, it did not work as I hoped...

In any case, I think it is not that important. Maybe I will tie a Pass-Time Event to the Training Hall in Friedrich's Revenge independent of whether or not the party has trained. In Helmetlands, I will probably follow the approach you guys discussed - Training-Hall free...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #39
Dinonykos
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikus View Post
I'm glad to hear that you're making progress on the most-looked forward-to design thus far.
Most-looked-forward to?

Don't make me afraid... While I think it will be better and bigger than Friedrich's Quest, don't expect too much.

Apart from your projects (which I guess will prosper once DC 1.0 is ready ), what I look forward to most is of course Uatu's first design.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #40
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinonykos View Post
Most-looked-forward to?

Don't make me afraid... While I think it will be better and bigger than Friedrich's Quest, don't expect too much.

Apart from your projects (which I guess will prosper once DC 1.0 is ready ), what I look forward to most is of course Uatu's first design.
If it's any help in soothing your nerves, all unreleased yet advertised designs are highly looked forward to, and those with screenshots even more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinonykos
What I wanted to do was a Logic Block that checked the Level of all characters before entering the Training Hall. Then, the Quest "Character1Lvl" should store the Level. After visiting the Training Hall, another Logic Block should compare the Character Level with the value stored in "Character1Lvl" to test whether or not the character had trained.

Unfortunately, since the Levels are divided into Thief, Fighter, MU and so on levels the script turned out to be quite complicated, and though I obviously did not make a scripting mistake, it did not work as I hoped...

In any case, I think it is not that important. Maybe I will tie a Pass-Time Event to the Training Hall in Friedrich's Revenge independent of whether or not the party has trained.
If it will help you straighten out your script, or just add to the community knowledge base, the class order is hard-coded. So, no matter what you call your classes, slot 0 is cleric, slot 1 is fighter, etc.
(In the upcoming release this will still be the case, but will have certain mitigating factors.)