Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-11-2001, 12:34 PM   #1
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

At one point, Conan, you were gracious enough to offer your advice regarding home repairs in response to all of those who have helped you with your computer ills.

Does the offer still stand? Because I have a water pressure problem.

Let me first go through the system (like any good computer troubleshooter needs the system specifications):
- Main Processor = water pump for well water
- Bus = copper pipes
- Co-Processor = old rusty water heater (gas) that may start leaking any day
- Output = bathtub faucet in the main bathroom (master bath works fine as does the downstairs bathroom)

As far as problems, there is no "blue screen of death," but the water is deathly cold and the tile in the tub is blue?

Basically we turn on the water in the bath tub in the main bathroom and the cold water runs at a pretty good pace, but the hot water just trickles. I've checked a home repair manual which suggested that one cause might be the pipes clogging and suggested replacing steel pipes with copper. I'm pretty sure that the pipes are already copper, so I don't quite know what to do.

Any ideas?

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley
Old 10-11-2001, 12:41 PM   #2
Absynthe

Well, the blue color may be copper sulfate crystallization occuring in the copper pipes, the accumulation of which could possibly be blocking the pipes.
Or, in the words of famous man... I could be completely hatstand.

edit: i just re-read your post and now realize you were talking about the tile color... just ignore me please. I'm off to find some coffee....

------------------

Perversion is the true spice of life: Variety is just part of a healthy diet.

[This message has been edited by Absynthe (edited 10-11-2001).]

Old 10-11-2001, 12:43 PM   #3
Conan

How old is the water heater? Or for this matter your pipes in your house? Do you have a water softener? (I think its your hot water heater at first thought) How does the hot water run in the rest of the house?

------------------
*\Conan/*

[This message has been edited by Conan (edited 10-11-2001).]

Old 10-11-2001, 01:39 PM   #4
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Conan to the rescue!

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
How old is the water heater? Or for this matter your pipes in your house? Do you have a water softener? (I think its your hot water heater at first thought) How does the hot water run in the rest of the house?
Water heater is very old (my guess is 15-20 years and I'm not a very good guesser). It looks like a normal gas water heater (size, shape, etc.) but has rust spots on the side and around the bottom.

I would think it's a pipe problem, since the hot water in the other bathroom works much better.

We have a relatively new water softener.

The water pressure in the entire house isn't great, but the hot water in the main bathroom trickles. The the house is plagued with the flushing problem. Flush the toilet (an action usually performed by my son) while someone else is taking a shower (usually me) and the shower gets really hot. Entering the shower is always an adventure -- one never knows if the water is going to suddenly scald. But overall, the water in the house works.

------------------

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley
Old 10-11-2001, 03:15 PM   #5
Conan

Since you have good running hot water every else I think it is in your tubs hot water valve. Is it a double or single handle faucet? Do they have shut off valves that you can see? If you can open these all the way for a start. I dont think that it is a pipe problem but in that particular valve some where. If its the original faucet you may have to get a new one. A couple of other things come to mind. Air in your line or clogged screen strainer. Open up ALL your hot water faucets in your house and let them run for awhile and see if it changes. I wish you good luck now Father Bronze. This exhausts all of my ideas for you. Let me know how this turns out oh scalded one

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 10-11-2001, 04:38 PM   #6
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
If its the original faucet you may have to get a new one
Oooh. Are you suggesting that I tear apart the bathroom? Dig in the walls? Is such fun actually required in order to solve this problem? Will I need to buy power tools in order to solve this crisis? Aahhh, the anticipation.

I hope I can convince my wife that this is all "necessary" in the name of water pressure. Can I say you told me to?

------------------

Old 10-11-2001, 06:16 PM   #7
Conan

Now that you mention it.. I think this IS a good time to "buy" some tools. Only the ones.. you think you need here I could make you out a list ..to give to her.. but the posibility of me giving you the ones you want.. I mean, need, could grow just a hair. I send you now to your dutys..go Father Bronze!
(p.s. I see you are already priming the situation with opera tickets )

------------------
*\Conan/*