Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-19-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I just thought i'd merge these questions into one thread, since the same type of people might be able to answer them.

1. How does PS2 online work? I have a spare broadband modem, but what do I have to do to enable my PS2 to go online? I can't just plug the modem into the USB and then into a phone socket can I?

2. Can you make DVD's full of audio music? So you could have 8gb's of music to play through your DVD player? I just thought that would be nice so that I could use my good surround sound instead of mp3 or computer.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

1)I dont have a PS2, but I know you need a starter kit, I think you can buy them at most game stores. It comes with all the neccesary items for playing online.

2)Yes, if you have a DVD burner, then you can just copy the Mp3's on as a data CD/DVD, and when you put it in your DVD player (assuming it plays mp3's) it should play.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Cheers Hivetyrant.

1. Il check out Amazon or somewhere, they should have it.

2.Yeh it does, this should be great.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ok, a quick search brought up this

I thinks it's what Im looking for. Cheers. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

That adaptor is exactly what you need. I run one off my broadband connection. It may be possible to run a dial-up connection via a server based computer through to the PS2 but I believe it will be so slow, you will not get any actual gaming enjoyment out of it.

If you do have a broadband connection however, just get yourself a router unless you don't mind unplugging the cable from the back of your PC all the time or once again running a server for your PS2.
My best option was to run a wireless router as I have quite a home network here. I then ran a wireless access point from the PS2's Network adaptor and that way I can play from anywhere in the house without the need to run any cables around the place.

Hope this has helped somewhat.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

No problem, that seems to be what your looking for,but you should check with someone else who has one first.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:05 AM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
That adaptor is exactly what you need. I run one off my broadband connection. It may be possible to run a dial-up connection via a server based computer through to the PS2 but I believe it will be so slow, you will not get any actual gaming enjoyment out of it.

If you do have a broadband connection however, just get yourself a router unless you don't mind unplugging the cable from the back of your PC all the time or once again running a server for your PS2.
My best option was to run a wireless router as I have quite a home network here. I then ran a wireless access point from the PS2's Network adaptor and that way I can play from anywhere in the house without the need to run any cables around the place.

Hope this has helped somewhat.
Hey Bokken, nice to see you around! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have broadband, along with a wireless router, along with quite a network also (wow thats a mouthfull [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ) So anyways, I just need to get the card and plug it in right? I wont even need the other modem then?
Old 09-19-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Nope just plug it in the back of your router and you're in business! Just a note before you start. On the back of your PS2 you there is a code. Note that down prior to attaching the Ethernet Adaptor as it covers it and you will have to remove it and start from scratch if you forget to note it down.

The reason you need that code is because the code of your PS2 and the one that comes with the Ethernet adaptor is needed to sign up to the online network. It's pretty straightforward to do but a pain in the butt nonetheless under my opinion.

Also if you like to move your PS2 around a lot you may want to consider the wireless access point for it also. To be honest, even though I have it on mine, I hardly ever move it around so it really is a waste. It is good as there is one less cable in here though. (like that makes a difference considering I'm choking in them)

So, get yourself the adaptor if you're serious about it cause you seem to have everything else!

Oh and I'm always around. I just rarely post is all, although lately I have been doing a small bit.

Anyway, good luck with it all and be sure to let us know how you went. If you get stuck at all either put up a post or drop me a mail. I'll do my best to help you out if I can!