Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-04-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
I think this is definitely a spoiler for those who haven't experienced Xzar's quest to its pathetic conclusion....

As an additional note to my grievances about Xzar not being given any extra subquests in the game to do with either the Book of Kaza or anything else evilish or Montaron or Zhentarim related, I just thought I'd express my absolute disgust for the way he is so coldly dispatched if one chooses to follow his mission to the end. In fact... I wonder if I'd be generalising too much if I said that evil characters seem to get a raw end of the deal in this game by being punished compared to the reasonable balance that was to be found in Bg1. Doing away with Xzar in this fashion is unforgivable!
Well, at least to this fan.

Thus, it got me wondering if it was at all possible to save him from Lucette just before the critical blow is made. Has anyone managed to do it? I've reloaded twice so far, surrounded Xzar in the attempt to prevent him from taking any blows, but as he attempts the misguided polymorph, his assailant is seemingly too close to stop. Grr! Yet another seemingly all too linear moment. Mayhaps I'll try buffing my party to the heavenly max before initiating dialogue - otherwise if I can't save the life of my old travelling friend, I may just reload within the Harper complex and get Korgan to malevolently maim on sight by sending some Harper carcasses bloodily to Mystra. [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

[ 01-04-2004, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

A related thread involving the book of Kaza

SPOILERS
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
You can't save him...it is entirely linear. I wouldn't mind seeing a mod where you can save him, or turn things around back on the Harpers. This would allow you to save both Xzar and Montaron (you'll have to raise Montaron, but to actually have an evil thief other than overbalanced Valen would be worth it).

[ 01-04-2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Nerull ]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I've tried to save him on a number of occasions, including having an assassin deliver a 7x backstab with Celestial Fury...

to no avail

I wanted to save Xzar as well. I would have even resurrected him if that were possible.

*sigh*
Old 01-04-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
I think this is definitely a spoiler for those who haven't experienced Xzar's quest to its pathetic conclusion....

I just thought I'd express my absolute disgust for the way he is so coldly dispatched if one chooses to follow his mission to the end. In fact... I wonder if I'd be generalising too much if I said that evil characters seem to get a raw end of the deal in this game by being punished compared to the reasonable balance that was to be found in Bg1. Doing away with Xzar in this fashion is unforgivable!
Well, at least to this fan.

Bear in mind that the Harpers' methods are unorthodox and above all POETIC. It's almost a turnon, when you think about it. Monty BROKE IN to their compound for some sinister end, while Xzar trained two in magic (cruelly, I might add... It would be an affront to Mystra, the goings-on in that building. Secretive training and experimentation, when Mystra says all who have talent should be taught.), and then Xzar dangles Imoen and Irenicus in front of your face, cajoling YOU to break into their compound and do the dirty work for him. Then, you are led through what is OBVIOUSLY a setup (Harper Amulets? Come ON! And Spectral Harpists arbitrarily letting you in because you have them?! There are no amulets, only pins.), catch "Monty" and bring him back... It's poetic, it's fitting, it's perfect, and it's infuriating to someone who'd love to refuse Xzar, march directly over to Rylock, and say, "Excuse me, but you should know a Zhent by the name of Xzar is conspiring to break into your building."

Feh...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

One word: Ctrl+y!!
Calsiumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

I've saved him on occassion, right befor the assassin kills him, I pause, and have Jaheira use a Rod of Ressurection. Of course you have to time it just right.

What's even funnier is after he's ressurected, during dialogue initiation he screams, "What!? You're not Monty!!"
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Calsiumus:
One word: Ctrl+y!!
Assuming he/she has cheats on
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:13 PM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerull:

You can't save him...it is entirely linear. I wouldn't mind seeing a mod where you can save him, or turn things around back on the Harpers. This would allow you to save both Xzar and Montaron (you'll have to raise Montaron, but to actually have an evil thief other than overbalanced Valen would be worth it).
I believe The Darkest Day mod gives you that opportunity; you could even let him join your party IIRC.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #9
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
I believe The Darkest Day mod gives you that opportunity; you could even let him join your party IIRC.
Yeah, but from what I've heard that thing is buggier than ToEE. Plus, I would only want that one aspect changed in the game, not the radical change that TDD makes to the game.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
drew_jarvie
Zhentarim Guard

No you cannot. I have tried cntrl y and it doesnt work because Xzars death is timer activated, not by being killed by the harper What an anticlimax huh?