Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 01:18 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Apologies in advance for the length of this thread - I shouldn't really have to write this, but unfortunately it looks like I do.

It's come to my attention on more than a few threads here that certain moderators seem to be respected and some seem to be not as respected, when it comes to enforcing forum policies, particularly when it comes to being moderators for a particular forum, or the ability to lock threads. This post is to clarify this situation.

You can all assume that an Ironworks moderator is a moderator for ALL the forums, not just the ones that he/she has authority to lock threads for. This means that Cloudy has authority to enforce forum policy in the BG2 forum, just as Larry has authority to enforce forum policy in the GD forum. This means that when one of them tells you that you can't do something, or tells you to stop something, you do so.

If a moderator has to call another moderator to lock a thread to put a stop to activity that he's already told you to stop, and you effectively ignored his direction, then you are going to be in big trouble. Of all offences here, disrespect of moderator decisions is among the ones that we look upon most severely - because it is one of the cornerstones upon which our forum is built. Keep in mind that moderators don't tell you to do things to be a pain in the ass or to spoil your fun - it's because they are doing their jobs and enforcing forum policy.

Now everyone jokes around once in a while, and of course moderators can be part of the joke, or even the butt of the joke, at times - we're all human, after all. But when a moderator is serious, and is making a serious request, we expect you to be serious as well - and we expect you to have the wisdom to know this, and accept the decision with maturity and good grace.

We also know that moderators are not perfect, and will make mistakes. If you feel a moderator has made a wrong decision, then defying him is not the solution - that will only get you in trouble. PM or email him and ask for clarification on his decision. I have personally replied to every single email/PM to me requesting clarification on decisions. You may not like or agree with my reply, but you will definitely get one.

I have seen instances in the last couple of days of blatant disrespect for moderator wishes on a couple of threads here, which is quite disgraceful. Joking around is one thing, blatant disrespect is another, and I can tell the difference. The offenders will be contacted shortly, and WILL be penalized as this type of behaviour is NOT acceptable here. Respect for others - that includes moderators, whether or not their name is at the top of the forum. I don't think that's unreasonable.

If anyone is still unclear about this, then read the Rules and Regulations on the link at the top of the page - maybe we've been here so long that we've forgotten what they are.

Please keep this thread visible for the next few days - I think this message needs to be sent across loud and clear. Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-23-2002, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 11-23-2002, 01:34 AM   #2
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Amen! Well said Memnoch. I hope your message goes across the way it should and is read by ALL here. Some nice piece of advice for people to consider prior to hitting the "Add New Thread"/"Reply" buttons.

Think Before You Post
Old 11-23-2002, 02:29 AM   #3
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I feel very strongly about this as well--so much so infact, I felt I needed to make another post to give everyone the warning. And we will NOT allow what has been going on for awhile now. Things will be changing.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 11-23-2002, 03:20 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

For interest, Z's thread is here.

Old 11-23-2002, 03:48 AM   #5
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I've also noticed this problem, which has slowly been on the rise lately. Hopefully, this topic will put a stop to people dissing moderators. You're all doing a great job [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:04 AM   #6
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks for this thread, Memnoch, I was thinking of making a similar one after a thread I just read. Good to see you've done the work for me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:44 AM   #7
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

what did I miss now?
Old 11-23-2002, 04:47 AM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Good to see you guys are on the case now, Memnoch. I have to admit my jaw fell open widely when I saw a certain moderator being blatantly ignored when he said something about an utterly useless spam thread, not to mention the fact that the only kind of response he *did* receive was *cough* not so friendly. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 04:51 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Good to see you guys are on the case now, Memnoch. I have to admit my jaw fell open widely when I saw a certain moderator being blatantly ignored when he said something about an utterly useless spam thread, not to mention the fact that the only kind of response he *did* receive was *cough* not so friendly. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
A joke's a joke, but that kind of stuff is NOT on under ANY circumstances - joking or otherwise. We're pretty easygoing here, but that was not acceptable, and anything of that nature that we see in future will be punished, and quickly.

Old 11-23-2002, 05:05 AM   #10
whacky
Emerald Dragon

All i'd like to add over here is :
People do respect the mods, not only because of their authority but because of their experience, their sheer knowledge and their devotion to this forum. Has it ever occured to you that mods too are human, they have busy lives and take time out of it to help us, they are deserving of respect, after all they are devoted to the cause why else would they think, consider and advise us. Moderators, thanks for making IW a flame-free, family and enjoyable forum [img]smile.gif[/img]