Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
Sir Goulum
John Locke

What is considered a good armor class in NWN? In BG2, I know a good one was around -8 to -12 range, for a fighter, and in NWN, my Dwarf is at around 30 or so, and getting to the final stretches of the original campaign thing. Also, a slightly unrelated question, why is everything so expensive, and why are my things sold for dirt cheap? I mean 172 000 gold for some bracers is a little much in my books. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

An AC is considered Good when others have trouble hitting you. When you're 19+ points above their base attack score, in practice. Beyond that, it's Good when you can't get it up any higher.

It really depends on the level range, the monsters you face and the magic available. In the HotU campaign, it's claimed that you need an AC of 30 at the very least in order to survive. That's not necessarily true, but it's not entirely inaccurate either. An AC of 30 there is nothing Good but at least it's decent.

In other places, a good AC can be anything from 32 (full plate, tower shield, improved expertise, dex 12, which works in a no magic world) to 70+ depending on the levels you can gain, the items you can gain, and the classes you take. An AC of 100 is considered extremely overpowered in many places, but poor in others. There's that much difference.

Why are items as expensive as they are? I have no idea. Prices are based on the item's properties and just what calculations are used there only Bioware knows. Apparently the merchant doesn't give any discounts, you could try raising your Appraise skill which can make a difference between paying 130% of the merchant's price, and 70%. I do agree that gold was always in too short supply for my liking in HotU, especially because the stores had a maximum price they'd pay for my magical trinkets.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
Sir Goulum
John Locke

You can get up to an AC of 100? Yeesh... [img]tongue.gif[/img] So, compared to BGII, AC30 would be about AC0 or -1?

When I go to buy stuff, it says the reaction from my Appraise skill is neutral. Does that mean I'm paying about 100% of the price?
I just found it stupid how I had to buy the Armor of Balduran (in Beorunna's Well, the Neurik fellow) for some 102 000 gold but when I went to sell it after getting some dragon scale armor or something, I could only sell it for 12000 gold or so.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

The trick I found is not to pay for armour or such. You will find more good stuff around every corner Further into the game (Sou and Hou) you do get more money from traders but IIRC it is still capped to about 50,000 for even the best of equipment

If you get a chance to buy bags of holding (100%) or heal potions they are worth it

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The final stages of the game (HoU) can be made very easy by having a LOT of money to spare

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I figured the bag of holdings out by myself, I must have 4 or 5 of them by now, and I find enough healing potions to be good for a while. The armor thing really ticked me off because I just spent 100 000 on some armor that was a real upgrade from my last armor (Half plate +2 or something), and then just 10 minutes later I found an even better set. . Oh well. I only lost 90 000 gold on that one. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
How much, might I ask, is a lot, Wellard? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 04:07 AM   #7
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

I think he is hinting about the weapons upgrade areas of HotU, which uses several millions of gold pieces IIRC.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:29 AM   #8
Legolas
Jack Burton

No, I think he's hinting at the wise creatures.

Neutral means you're paying around 100% of the price, yes.

And if I had to put it somewhere, I'd say AC 30 would be around BG AC 2. Decent but not the greatest thing on earth.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:23 AM   #9
Zink Whistlefly

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
No, I think he's hinting at the wise creatures.

Neutral means you're paying around 100% of the price, yes.

And if I had to put it somewhere, I'd say AC 30 would be around BG AC 2. Decent but not the greatest thing on earth.
Hmm, both BG2 and NWN have a base AC of 10. Only difference is AC decreases in BG2 and increases in NWN. Surely that means that a NWN AC of 30 can be approximated to an BG2 AC of -10?
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #10
Legolas
Jack Burton

Not if you consider that in NWN, an AC of 60 is not always unrealistical, and 120+ possible too. In BG, -10 is about as good as it gets.