Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm not having much luck with Firefox at the moment. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Now what's happening is I'm starting to have a stuttering problem with it - where when I'm typing in a forum window, or clicking on a link, or scrolling down a page, it freezes for a few seconds and then goes again. It's very annoying. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling (see, it happened again as I'm typing right now, it freezes for about 3 seconds and then all the words come in a rush) but it doesn't fix the problem. Same when I try and scroll down on sites - there's this delay before I can scroll, and it seems to happen at regular intervals. Even when I try and use the browser menus it freezes/stutters.

I also tried clearing my private data (cookies, etc) but that hasn't fixed it - it's happening on every website I visit. I've disabled many of my extensions and themes - same issue.

I ran spyware checks and cleared my PC of spyware but it's still happening. Just typing this message has taken forever because it keeps stuttering, and it is so annoying!!

The problem is NOT happening with IE7. It's almost like there's some kind of script running every 10-15 seconds or so which "freezes" it or uses up heaps of RAM. This just started happening tonight.

Any clues??

[ 12-18-2006, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Another thing I noticed is that unlike IE7, I can hear my HD whirring everytime I use Firefox, if that helps. And the whirring usually accompanies the stuttering/freezing...

[ 12-18-2006, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

See, I'm using IE7 right now and there is NO freezing or stuttering.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

That's certainly very odd. I don't think it's the actual browser that is causing the problem. Do you have a lot of Extensions installed? One or some of them might be causing the problem.

Cheers.

ADD] Here's a list of the Extensions that I personally. None of them has caused me any problems thus far. What Extensions do you have?

[ 12-18-2006, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:50 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've disabled all the extensions (none of which were causing any problems before) and it's still there. I've also reinstalled it twice. It just started happening last night.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I have no idea, but I hope you are dilligent wit your system restore points.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Cool Dude

Another thing, it's making this little clicking sound every now and then - like it's refreshing or reloading a page.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
I have no idea, but I hope you are dilligent wit your system restore points.
Funny that you mentioned that - in an effort to save more space on my C drive, I cut down on my SysRestore space the other day, and I already restored back to my earliest possible restore point (two days ago). Nada.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:13 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

How about your Firefox options? Have you changed them from their defaults? If so, in what way? What is the size of your cache( mine is 128mb)?

Note that I myself have fiddled around with the settings in order to increase the security of my web-surfing, but in your case, we're trying to find out if the default settings will eliminate the problem.

Cheers.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... one thought, based on the frequency and something noted in the Security Monkey blog :

Quote:

[http calls to an outside server every few seconds are] a "feature" of FF 2.0

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.safebrowsing.enabled

I noticed it because I was checking some request with the LiveHttpHeaders

http://livehttpheaders.mozdev.org/

FF 2.0 makes a request every 5-6 seconds.

The fact that it's happening so frequently makes me suspect it's related... but I have no idea what to do with it, or how to address it... yet.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote