Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #31
ElricMorlockin
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
As far as classes go in a public school a course in religion would be OK as long as it was an optional course, and as long as it was more of a cultural study on various religion so has to better understand people of different cultures and religions (now more than ever due to the ignorance displayed by people against our Muslim brothers and sisters) or one not so much of religion but debating slippery slopes and morals as these topics are useful to any religion. [/QB]
I totally agree with this idea. A class on religion would be a great boon to the public school systems. One can study religious theory without having to force a version of it on ones pupils. Morality issues IMO, can be taught and the student makes up their mind as to what is what, or better how their own religion has similarities/contrasts to others. Its a wonderful learning experience! I went to a private school that taught numerous classes on the major world religions. It was a Catholic school and not once did our instructors put the information in a light where Catholicism was the superior choice to these. Rather, we were shown the merits of each religion and the customs of such, and came about our decisions on the overall merits of said religion.
The problem is that the idealogues, are so damned afraid of religion, that its almost hilarious, if it wasnt so damned sorry a$$ed sad! LOL!!! It interferes with their own pursuit and indoctrination of one "ISM" or another after all. What an idealogue fears the most is a free thinker who could reach a decision where they feel that religion is a valuable part of their life, rather than seeing it *their* way, that it is nothing but a negative and obstruction.
So Your presented idea is not only possible it should be a given feasibility that such information *is* taught. In fact, I will go on further to say that they are actually cheating the kids in said institutions of a very great learning and thinking experience. Then again, that is precisely what the idealogue is all about in the first place. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 12:34 PM   #32
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
How many Wiccan religious broadcasts do you see on public television stations? None. But my tv is blasted with Christian broadcasts on Sunday, until the sports shows come on. How many Muslim, Buhddist, or Islamic shows? There is a reason for this, and it is relatively simple...People that come to these last three do so of their own free will. I do not see Wiccans standing on the street corner recruiting new members. People that are meant to come to us. We don't feel the need to try and force our religion on others.
I disagree. Why shouldn't one "sell" religion as a product? You don't have to buy it or even listen to it but for those who wish to listen to it it offers easy help. With the numbers of church goers dwindling one has to do something. And if these commercials help just one person to sort out his/her life I say it was definitely worth it. And this holds for any religion. But I do agree about showing religious programs an entire morning though. I don't think the public would react positive to an Islamic broadcast all sunday morning.

Cerek, about the Gideons. Even though it may not be a breach of the constitution i still wouldn't like anyone trying to hand out anything to my daughter. If I should see one trying to make contact to students outside her school I most definitely would walk up to him/her and berate him/her. O course I do believe you are talking about older students and not children in junior level. [img]graemlins/blueblink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 12:45 PM   #33
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Harley, if the property is going to be made available to the public for extracurricular activities, it has to be made avaialble to everyone. Otherwise it would be government infringement of the rights of those individuals...descrimination....so Gays and Lesbians, scouts and wiccans should all have access to the school facilities or none of them should.
So this mean the KKK clan or even a Nazy group could meet at a school? Wow...
Old 05-28-2003, 12:48 PM   #34
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:

2) Gideons passing out Bibles - For those who don't know, Gideons are Christians that pass out pocket-sized Bibles at certain public facilities. The Bibles are an abridged version and contain only a select number of passages or books from the regular Bible. The front of the Bible has a "Table of Contents" that lists specific emotions or circumstances a person may be experiencing and gives the relevant Biblical passages to read regarding that situation.

AFA Gideons passing out Bibles in schools, I see NO Constitutional breach - because the students have a choice about taking the Bible or declining the offer. They don't HAVE to take a Bible and can just walk on by the Gideons if they choose. The Gideons are very "passive" about handing out the Bibles (in my experience, anyway). They may hold a Bible up and ask each student "May I offer you a Bible?" - but there is NO chastisement or ridicule if a child declines the offer. To be honost, though, I'm not sure if the Gideons even do that anymore. The last few times I've seen them, they had just set up a display table (complete with refreshments {yum} [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and only talked to those people that approached them first. They do NOT have one of their members holding up a Bible and "preaching" at the kids as they walk by. They simply "set up" in a well traveled area and allow those interested to approach them. They also follow all the necessary steps to obtain permission before setting up their display.
How about other sects and religions? Do you mind them handing out things to your childrens?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #35
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by ElricMorlockin:
A class on religion would be a great boon to the public school systems. One can study religious theory without having to force a version of it on ones pupils. Morality issues IMO, can be taught and the student makes up their mind as to what is what, or better how their own religion has similarities/contrasts to others. Its a wonderful learning experience!
Back in the late 70's when I was in Junior High the public school (in Los Angeles) I went to did a whole semister on compartive religion. Was one of my favorite subjects [img]smile.gif[/img] Looking back on the JHS I went to they had some pretty unusual class, in addition to the compartive religion class there was an oceanography class and a 'language sampler classs' we did 10 weeks of Spanish, 5 weeks of French, and 5 weeks of German.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:00 PM   #36
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:

Sure, why not? or is it only people that you agree with should have freedom?
Are you one of those "Everyone is free...except those I dislike or find distasteful!" If that is how its gonna work, then I think that I and not you or anyone else should be the making the decisions on what is acceptable and what is not

Why me? well hell if we are gonna be arbitrary about things, then why not me?
As long as the group obeys constitutionally approved law then there is no governmental authority to restrict them. Just the way you phrased the post makes me think of the autocratic methods of some of our local "Home Owners Associations" here....

[ 05-28-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-28-2003, 01:05 PM   #37
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:

Sure, why not? or is it only people that you agree with should have freedom?
Are you one of those "Everyone is free...except those I dislike or find distasteful!" If that is how its gonna work, then I think that I and not you or anyone else should be the making the decisions on what is acceptable and what is not

Why me? well hell if we are gonna be arbitrary about things, then why not me?
As long as the group obeys constitutionally approved law then there is no governmental authority to restrict them. Just the way you phrased the post makes me think of the autocratic methods of some of our local "Home Owners Associations" here....
[/QUOTE]Everything related to politics or religions should be banned from schools and governmental buildings.

What does "autocratic" mean?
Old 05-28-2003, 01:12 PM   #38
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:Everything related to politics or religions should be banned from schools and governmental buildings.
I agree, ban all politics in Government buildings! Maybe they would actually get some work done then [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 01:14 PM   #39
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:Everything related to politics or religions should be banned from schools and governmental buildings.
I agree, ban all politics in Government buildings! Maybe they would actually get some work done then [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Ok... that was some bad wording...
Old 05-28-2003, 01:14 PM   #40
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
How about other sects and religions? Do you mind them handing out things to your childrens?
Yes, Luvian, I probably would be upset about that...but that's the risk I have to take if I am going to support the Gideons handing out Bibles. If it is fair for the Gideons, then it is fair for all other religions too. If I don't like the literature my children bring home, then it is MY responsibilty to explain to them WHY I don't agree with it.