Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-29-2001, 10:54 AM   #1
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Just wrote this little patch today to allow anyone to set their own starting XP for SOA and ToB. THe problem is I can only test it on my own .exe which is the ToB UK version.

I need people to test it for plain SoA UK version as well as ToB and SoA USA, Australia etc. versions.

The reason editing your starting XP is not in any editing utils is because you need to edit the game's .exe file. Nothing should go wrong but just in case, make a backup of BGMain.exe before you start. The worst that could happen is that you need to restore this backup.

So, if you can spare 5 minutes, please get it at:

http://vaskez.tripod.com/Files/XPPatcher.zip
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 11-29-2001, 08:21 PM   #2
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Debug mode=1

CLUAconsole:SetXP("ludicrousamount")

I can't remember if that is the exact code, but Baldurdash or some such site has all the commands so quit messing around with exe files.

If you can't find the commands, I will get the web page for you.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:04 PM   #3
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Ludtke:
quit messing around with exe files.

I totally agree here. Since the cheats were built into the game there is no need to go altering the .exe files. People who don't know about the cheats and download this file might get mightily pissed off if something goes wrong with their game.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 11-29-2001, 10:34 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

i agree here to. if anyone really want more starting XP, then they can get it any number of ways. i am even considering starting a level 1 char, just to make it tougher. does anyone know if this will work with BG2?
Old 11-29-2001, 10:53 PM   #5
Evil Al
Drow Warrior

quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
i am even considering starting a level 1 char, just to make it tougher. does anyone know if this will work with BG2?

Well i don't know but theirs one way to find out, by trying it.
One thing is for sure the game could be very hard, but come tho think of it you'll probably go up a level for killing a handful of monsters. Another thing i think NPC's have a set amount of XP so they will be much higher levels than you, unless you play in multi-player mode.
I\'m not bigheaded but go here and tell me just how sexy i am [url]\"http://www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard\" target=\"_blank\">www.faceparty.com/al_the_drunkard</a><br /><br />War in iraq? Not in my name!<br /><br />Disarm America.
Old 11-30-2001, 11:49 AM   #6
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

You lot don't know what you are talking about.

Changing your XP via cheats doesn't actually change your level. To start as a level 1 character for example you HAVE to hex-edit the exe and set the starting XP to 0. This way the game will detect you as a truly new character.

If you just cheat, you will still have your stats and proficiencies and special abilities. Don't you think I know about the cheats? Even if you apply a level drain spell that can be dispelled with a restoration. Editing the exe actually sets your XP BEFORE you have created your character so the basis for your character will be correct.
I wouldn't be so stupid as to mess around editing the exe if I didn't need to.

The point in this is to allow for the creation of Total Conversions using the infinity engine and to save us having to distribute the exe which is illegal.
Old 11-30-2001, 12:52 PM   #7
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Perhaps if you want to start with a xp LOWER then usual, but to make it higher is no problem at all.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:28 PM   #8
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Ludtke:
Perhaps if you want to start with a xp LOWER then usual, but to make it higher is no problem at all.

True, but how professional would that be in a total conversion:
"When you start, please use the cheat commands to set your XP to 2 million because the game was designed on this basis."

Not exactly professional, is it? Now, if I have an edited version of this patch that is run during the MOD installation, the player will not need to do anything and the XP will be set to what I want at the start.

And I think you now understand, you have to do this if you wanna start with a lower XP....most Total Conversions will start with 0 XP because in BG2 you only started higher because it was continuing a previous story.

Anyway, luckily not all boards were as annoying as this one and I got some testers. Unfortunately it seems that every version of the exe has the starting XP at a different offset. This means that I will have to write a new version that searches for the default value then remembers the offset at which it was found and uses that thereafter.....

I guess I was kinda naive to post this on a gaming forum. I should have kept it on the editing forums, I just thought I'd get testers quicker here.
Old 11-30-2001, 05:35 PM   #9
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

There is a fine line between a programmer and a slapdick with a computer. Your original post did not really show which side of the line you were on. It appears you know what you are doing, so good luck to you.

BTB, have you tried The Darkest Day? Do they make you start at level 7, or how did they get around it? No sense reinventing the wheel.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:32 PM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

No, I haven't played Darkest Day but the makers are friends of mine.... They didn't need to deal with this problem seeing as TDD is an add-on and add-in and not a conversion. You are essentially still playing the SoA storyline with extra quests and features stuck in and on the end.

In short, TDD does not edit the exe so you start at the default 89000 XP.

The MOD I am working on scraps the SoA storyline altogether and starts with a new (maybe not level 1 but a low-level) character.