Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-26-2001, 02:19 AM   #1
Kingenigma
The Magister

Shall we vote on that? Yeah, we know its a great game with great replayability but will it be dubbed as a classic? Or has it lost it by an inch or something?
Old 11-26-2001, 07:37 AM   #2
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

The BG series IMHO was an instant classic!!!
Old 11-26-2001, 07:52 AM   #3
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

BGI was a great game, BGII made it a classic. If you doubt, check the number of posts for SoA vs. ALL the others. Plus, the number of replayers. Plus the soloers.(weird,IMHO, but I might do it, eventually, if NWN sucks)
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 11-26-2001, 08:17 AM   #4
CmdChicken
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've just started a BG1 game again, to take my character right the way through to ToB, if thisn't a classic then what is? Pokesh**e?
Old 11-26-2001, 12:44 PM   #5
cheesus
Dungeon Master

though i really really like bg 2 i wouldn't call it a classic because that's classification is quite a restricted thing for me - i think a classic has to be original and innovative so although i think bg 2 is an absolutely superb game, i don't think it was groundbreaking - so therefore not a classic in my book. jeeeeeez, that sounds harsh - but i think we all look for different things in games so if you rate it as a classic, fair enough by me.

so there.
Old 11-26-2001, 03:29 PM   #6
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

the bg series was ranked 13th by PC gamer alltime(diablo was around 10th) and the only common features by the games that beat it was solid programming. If bioware spent a little longer in the beta/debug stage I am sure it would have cracked top 10.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:20 PM   #7
Sorcerer Alex

I think we can safely call the series a classic. If you look at its popularity, the sales worldwide, the fact that it's been released in so many languages all over the globe.... it's the best series ever in my view.... but I do think you need to be familiar with Forgotten Realms and AD&D to really appreciate and understand it.

Old 11-26-2001, 04:46 PM   #8
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Absolutely a classic because of it's groundbreaking approach.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:03 PM   #9
jabidas
Silver Dragon

The BG series gets to be a classic in my book because its one of the best game(s) Ive ever played
Old 11-30-2001, 04:12 AM   #10
Rob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I come to these boards all the time, yet never felt the need to log in and post a reply. I've been coming here for months, read what people say, yet keep my 2 coppers to myself. Well thats it. I have to throw them in now.

This game most definately is a classic. Think about how much work they put into the storyline. I bet half of you don't even realize that Aerie's name Aerie itself is an insulted name she was given from the circus. Aerie would mean the same thing to an Avariel as being called "Chinese" would to someone from China, of "American" to someone from USA. Its not her name, rather what she is and the story writers worked it in as a small hidden thing that few people notice. I think is true that unless you really know much of AD&D and have been playing it since it was just D&D then in all likelyhood you would never catch on things like that. Maybe I'm going overboard on the topic of Aerie but she even talks about how Avariel have glass weapons, a think hardly anyone knows. They live high in mountains but are insanely claustrophobic, hence why Aerie complains very much about being underground. This is just one character. I won't even touch on the topic of Minsc. I could go on for hours about how well they made each and every character. They didn't make a game, they DM'ed this game. They wrote a story complete from level 1 to level 40 if you get the original all the way through to the thone of baal. I myself find he story the kind of thing I would watch if it were a TV show. It is one of the most enjoyable things you can play. As far as Diablo being considered 'more' fun by some people I think they have no concept of a good story if it hit them in the face. BG is a very well rounded story, and unlike some DM's the makers did an amazing job designing it. You can take a completely evil path, go crazy and slay as many people as you want, get a horrible reputation but you know what.... you can still play the game. The game is designed so even if you take the evil path in life you can sit on the throne of baal just the same. Alot of Dm's of AD&D I have had the pleasure of sitting with never give you the kind of options this game has. Every character has their own special set of quests. Sure the monk and barbarian share the fighter's strong hold but do you expect them to make a completely different story line for a character that many consider a subclass or kit? This game most definately needs to be a classic. I think they should make a box set called Classic BG and throw in BG1, Tales of Sword Coast, BG2, and Throne of Baal. Throw them all in there and I'd probably buy it for all my annoying friends that keep asking to borrow my copy of BG. This game has more then earned itself a spot in Classic Game Hall of Fame. Maybe its because I am a book writer and I take must love in reading a good story, but I'm sure many of you out there will agree that all in all this game IS a good story. ~coughs something about the complete lack of replability that Diablo 2 has cause its always exactly the same~ I think I'll leave you with a simple thought of how many different options you have playing the game, and that I have yet to meet someone that tried them all.

(possible spoiler, but I seriously doubt anyone even thought of trying it, if they did 2 thumbs up to you)

If you think you tried them all then I ask you this, have you become a Fallen Paladin in BG1, then do the Paladin quest in BG2 in order to regain your status? The same works for a Fallen Ranger, save the little village and you can be regiven your title as Ranger, or so I heard, but that does not give you the stronghold. Although you become a Paladin instead of a Fallen Paladin, you do not get to become part of the Order, just as the Ranger is not trusted enough to guard the village, even though he proved himself to be a Ranger and no longer Fallen. There are many many hidden fun things in this game. Also did anyone try to play NC alignment. Its good to be 'insane.' I think I've writen way to much on the topic and I apologize, but I am a writer after all.