Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-28-2001, 02:18 AM   #1
Kaleban
Manshoon

I have an idea for a character, one I would most likely solo (or with maybe a sidekick), and am unsure how to do this.

I'd like to make this character a Ranger/Mage, preferably Elven, and yes, I am aware that this contradicts AD&D 2nd Edition rules. However, I justify it as the Elves are natural woodsmen and are magical at their core, so a Ranger Mage actually works within that logic.

Now does anyone know how to use Shadowkeeper to do something like this? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:32 AM   #2
Aurican
Elminster

Any combination that is not possible in the game is not possible with even the much lauded Shadowkeeper.

When would you have time to study magics if you are out traipsing about in the forest all of the time. Also, when would you ever learn about nature and martial skills if you are inside stooped over a candle trying to memorize that last spell. At most a Ranger/Mage would be more ranger than mage and then would only know very simple cantrips, nothing spectacular due to time and environmental restraints.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:16 PM   #3
Kaleban
Manshoon

quote:
Originally posted by Aurican:
Any combination that is not possible in the game is not possible with even the much lauded Shadowkeeper.

When would you have time to study magics if you are out traipsing about in the forest all of the time. Also, when would you ever learn about nature and martial skills if you are inside stooped over a candle trying to memorize that last spell. At most a Ranger/Mage would be more ranger than mage and then would only know very simple cantrips, nothing spectacular due to time and environmental restraints.

Please read my post before commenting. In all the D&D lore, Elves are said to be the "First People" in most campaign settings, having a 1000 year lifespan, being born of magic, and having a natural connection to magic and its connection to the world around them. Seeing as how the average adventuring elf begins his or her career around the age of 70 is it (?) I fail to see how one could not have had enough time to study both the natural skills of the woodsman (they live in trees and talk to animals...) as well as apprentice magery (the odd cantrip or two). An elf reaches physical maturity I believe around the age of 30-40, so that's at least 30 years of communig with nature every day and living in an area permeated by magical energy. If an 18 year old human from a mining town can be a wizard, what stops EVERY elf from also being one???

I'm not flaming, but too many people seem to take rules and explanations at face value that don't mesh with fiction, and are there only for "balance." Take Legolas of Tolkien fame. Never was there a finer archer. And he wasn't even 1/5 of his lifespan's age, yet for a human archer to reach the same pinnacle would take intensive study for most of his life forsaking all else, whereas Legolas was a cultured being.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:28 PM   #4
Lucre
Elminster

To make it more realistic you could add a few simple mage skills( chill touch, acid arrow etc.) to the Innate Abilities, i think that a ranger would have melf acid arrow becuase of his time around plants and you could "pretend" that it was a poison shot from a bow, or better yet let him learn posion weapon( from the assassin) in SK. i know this isnt much help but...
Old 11-28-2001, 02:32 PM   #5
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

I think it would get annoying dropping twohanded weapons(the bow) evry time you wanted to cast a spell. But I do understand the concept behind that.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:22 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Kaleban,

Make him a human ranger. Play him up to 13th level (which allows max THACO for fighters if I remember right, but you might want to check that).

Then dual him over to a mage. Just make sure you have a good Dex(for AC), Con(for HP), and Int(for mage).

This will also let you level-up faster.

I've created a Ranger in BG1 with awesome starting stats. I plan to play him through BG1 and boost his stats using the various Tomes and Manuals, then bring him into BGII and eventually dual him to a mage.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:26 PM   #7
Aurican
Elminster

You cannot make a ranger/mage in BG2. It is not allowed. At most you could give yourself some innate spells or some of the special cleric spells. Look, I'm not flaming either, I'm just telling how it is, there are no Ranger/mages in BG2.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:27 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

you could use IEEP to make a kit with the properties you want. but this is not the board for such things. go to teambg.

oh, and in PnP it specificaly says that you should break the rules, but i restrict that to "if you can think of a sound reason within the gameworld". so go for it.
Old 11-30-2001, 01:59 AM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Kaleban,

Make him a human ranger. Play him up to 13th level (which allows max THACO for fighters if I remember right, but you might want to check that).

Then dual him over to a mage. Just make sure you have a good Dex(for AC), Con(for HP), and Int(for mage).

This will also let you level-up faster.

I've created a Ranger in BG1 with awesome starting stats. I plan to play him through BG1 and boost his stats using the various Tomes and Manuals, then bring him into BGII and eventually dual him to a mage.

Wont happen. The manual says something to the effect of : " a dual class combination must also be a legal multiclass combination"
So u cant have a ranger mage without editing the game itself to allow that... AND THAT WOULD NOT BE EASY
Old 11-30-2001, 02:29 AM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

easy

start with a cleric, then dual him to ranger (allowed)
then just edit the items you use so that a cleric can use "bow" and "long sword"

take away the cleric spells and put in mage spells. done [img]smile.gif[/img]