Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2005, 07:51 AM   #61
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
Not really...I'm saying, if I caused offense I apologise. If I didn't, stop looking for an argument. I cannae see how anyone can take offence at anything I said.
I meant the sentence "If not, please grow up?" That's a bit too straightforward, don't you agree?

Quote:
And regarding patriotism, I disagree.

Everyone, should be proud of where they come from. I might hate certain things about my country, but at the end of the day, I'm proud to be English. I might think the Queen makes us look soft, or that Tony Blair makes us look stupid, but I don't care. People can judge them, but not my country.

One should never be ashamed of his heritage, where there fathers were born and raised etc, and where many people in the past have fought to keep their country their own. People need to be proud.
Patriotism, or lack thereof, depends on his knowledge, understanding and acceptance of one's history and culture and his personal experiences, which create the overall impression of his country. If one, for example, has had negative experiences regarding his nationality and feels guilty over past atrocities he believes his country had done, I'd understand that. No reason to call such a person stupid because of it anyway.

Though I see where you're coming from. Patriotism is generally a very nice thing to have. [img]graemlins/cheers.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #62
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Thanks uss, you pick the words out of my mouth. Bravo.

Lavindathar,
I am not ashame of my heritage but I am not too proud of my country and I have my own reasons to do so. There is no need to call people names just because they do not share the same views as you.

I am not going to argue with you any further regarding this issue. If you think I am immature and therefore lack of the reasoning and intelligence to carry out any meaningful conversation, so be it.

When I said "so long and good day to you", what I mean was "I am not going to argue with you on this subject, so I will make myself scarce." I wonder how this is being viewed as "childish". Do you think that I am avoiding confrontation because I am childish? No, it is the other way around.

Regrading my comment about your reponse on point #2, that was a mistake. I meant point #3. Even if you do not agree with me, calling me names like "stupid" or "childish" is not what I had in mind about an open minded conversation.

Seeing that any arguement further down this path will lead to more name calling, I am taking a quick exit out of this discussion.

[ 06-12-2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 06-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #63
Lavindathar
Harper

I don't think that the "so long" comment was being mature, nor is leaving this conversation.

I thought the way you said it was childish. This will not erupt in an argument, or any name calling, so please stay. I apologised for causing offence.

And with regards to the patriotic people, most germans are very patriotic, and they have commited past atrocities.

And the Americans are probably the most patriotic nation I'm aware of, with the pledge of alegiance and all that, and if you asked every person on this planet, the American nation isprobably the most hated out of every one.

I do not have any bad feelings towards Germans, despite past atrocities. That was in the past.

I doubt the Americans on here would resent the Japanese.

Wherever your from, and no matter what has happend in your countries past, I believe people should still be proud.After all, the good people need to show the rest of the world what the normal people of that country are like!

And I've decided your not malaysian. Your either from, North Korea, Japan or Vietnam. Lol, there my guesses...and whichever you are from, I would not hold anything against you!

The only time I "hate" other countrys, is during 90minutes on a field of grass. Thats when the name calling starts....It's best not to be a german then!! [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 10:59 AM   #64
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I felt offended earlier by not anymore, at least I have cooled down after reading your last post.

I didn't mean to provoke anyone and it was not in my best intention to do so, if some of my posts have stirred up strong negative feeling within anyone, then I am sorry. Let us call it a day and make peace, okay?

I have no ill feeling towards any of you and I admire you guys for being so proud of your country, which is somewhat lacking in me. Can't exactly why, but maybe it is how the politics are being played out or maybe it is because my brethen that has let me down way too many times.

Or maybe it is just all of the above, it is pretty hard to say since this has been going on for ages and I am now in my mid thirties... I wonder if I may ever live long enough see day when my country will become a proud nation that I am happy to call "home".

For the time being, just know me as who I am, a mere human who wishes to indulge in civilized and open minded discussions.

[ 06-12-2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 06-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #65
mad=dog

Humans are interesting creatures. We contain so many conflicts and contradictions that it often leaves me baffled. The most common is our dislike of changes and our demand for improvement. Both are mutually exclusive so we tend to go for the solution that is least discomforting.
Another one (which is in line of the subject at hand) is that we see both individualism and loyalty as virtues. Again a complete contradiction and by nature mutually exclusive.
Patriotism* is a result of loyalty. The faithful belief that the common cause that binds your nation together is superior. There is nothing wrong in that per se. However I see it as problematic when this is done at the complete expense of individualism. One must remain critical and responsible even towards ones own ideals. I do not see this as anti-patriotic as long as it is done out of love and respect for ones country. Some sort of balance needs to be maintained.

*EDIT: This is the most common use of the word by Americans. It can also be translated into love of ones country without any bonds of loyalty.

[ 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]
Old 06-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #66
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I applause you, mad=dog for your wonderful insight. You must have known quite a lot about human nature or at least spent considerable amount of time getting to know it so well.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #67
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:

When I said "so long and good day to you", what I mean was "I am not going to argue with you on this subject, so I will make myself scarce." I wonder how this is being viewed as "childish". Do you think that I am avoiding confrontation because I am childish? No, it is the other way around.
I'd have to agree with Lav on this.

I'm not sure if he interpreted the sentence in the same way I did, but the way I see it, that's a cliche remark. Ending an argument prematurely without compromise with that remark could be concieved as arrogant and ignorant.

Well, in any case, that's what I thought. Don't think of this as an attempt to create more conflict, think of it as an attempt to clarify the roots of the argument. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Quote:

And I've decided your not malaysian. Your either from, North Korea, Japan or Vietnam. Lol, there my guesses...and whichever you are from, I would not hold anything against you!
To speculate further, I recall that Paladin2000 used to have a signature of the Japanese animation Record of Lodoss War.

Everybody get speculating! [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 06-12-2005, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #68
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, what I did might be seen as rude, but under the circumstances that I was no longer able to write (or type) properly because I was offended by his earlier remark, I thought that it is in my best interest to stay away until I could calm down and collect my thoughts. For that, I am sorry.

Quote:
To speculate further, I recall that Paladin2000 used to have a signature of the Japanese animation Record of Lodoss War.
Nay, I do not have any animated sig. All of my signatures are pure plain text. Easy to modify and takes shorter time to load.

[ 06-12-2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 06-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #69
Bumbus
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mad=dog:
Sadly my location is not vague so I have avoided this wonderful topic.
I have no idea where Copenhagen is so, to me at least, your location is still vague. [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 06-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #70
mad=dog

Bumbus: Well it is found on any half-decent atlas as it is a major metropolis and capital of Denmark. So technically it is only vague to you if you choose not to care [img]smile.gif[/img] . Chicago is the largest city in the state of Illinois (a part of the Louisianna secedement), but I bet it isn't the capital. The US state capitals are so illogical - at least to a humble European.