Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-19-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Sunglass Man

No, I'm not talking about the vampire seductress that visits my dreams... (analyse that for me )

I'm talking about the nurses and the needles and the half litre of blood they take at the clinics.

I'm interested in knowing how many of us donate blood, and I also want to encourage those that don't to consider doing so. It's a vital part of our medical system that relies on people to volunteer their time and a small part of their body.

What brought this on? Well I donated blood on Tuesday, and I remembered the relative lack of donors - our blood supply for surgeries, etc. is dependent on a fairly small percentage of the population.

For those living in Canada (and, for that matter, for those who don't have the fortune to reside in the Great White North [img]smile.gif[/img] ) here's a website with information.

http://www.bloodservices.ca/
Old 08-19-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
Froberg
The Magister

I don't yet - going to start soon though.

Infact I've already sent in my application. Funny coincidence.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

I can't donate blood for a few more years, because I have had to many surgeries, they turn me away :/ I wish I could though, I know what it is like needing blood transfusions.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I've donated blood twice, and intend to donate every time that it doesn't infringe upon something intergral in my schedule...

Type B+!!!

The nurses, though, like to stick the tape to my arm where it'll pull out a maximum amount of arm hair...the evil wenches!

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Nope, this is my blood and it is staying in my body. Simple as that.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
I've heard a lot of people talk like that...and I really don't understand...the average blood cell does not live very long, anyway...your body constantly replaces them...it really doesn't have to work any more than normal to produce the blood cells for replacement....

The only bad part about giving blood is that it really hurts your weightlifting...but only for about a week.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 08-20-2004, 01:35 AM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

It's strange that we get all of thess pre-emptive shots and certain pills to take while in different parts of the world, and when it's blood drive time, we get turned away. Really makes one wonder!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #8
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
If you ever need a blood transfusion you'd better hope that not everyone is as selfish as you.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 08-20-2004, 07:49 AM   #9
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

I can't give blood because I've had several operations and tattoos within the last few years. I would if I could though.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:51 AM   #10
Har'oloth
Manshoon

i do it twice a year because i've got a special bloodtype that's really rare, so they often call me if i would like to donate some