Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion
Default my xbox 360

I bought an xbox 360 last fall, and it didn't work out of the box. The replacement they shipped to me seemed to work fine... until a couple of months ago when my Mass Effect disc became 'unreadable'. Next the Assassin's Creed disc became 'unreadable', the two games I played the most and would like to continue playing. I've been reading online about other people's horror stories with this console and trying to get similar problems fixed. Is this something that happens with all 360s (discs becoming worn or scratched through heavy playtime) or should I be trying to get it replaced again (still under warranty)?

Now I really wish I had saved that money for a new computer.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

Default Re: my xbox 360

I don't know about unreadable discs, but I've heard about XBox 360's overheating. It's stuff like this that makes me think twice about buying an XBox 360.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Supposedly the newest batches of 360 handle heat better. That said I have a first generation and I never had heat problem. Just make sure you put in on a smooth surface for the vents under it.

About the Disks unreadable errors. I've used mine for a long time and it started doing it recently. I'm convinced it's the dvd drive. I'd open the 360 and have a look myself but you know how they don't like us doing that.

I have a hard drive with mine so what I do is I install the game on it before I start playing and then it works fine. It looks annoying having to install games before playing, but on the other hand installed games have faster loadings and smoother gameplay, so it's not bad really.

Still I'll have to have it repaired eventually. Make sure you remove your hard drive before you do, or you could get misplaced.

Last edited by Luvian; 02-08-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

I suppose I'll call and send it in for repairs. I would like to be able to complete assassin's creed, hopefully I won't have to buy a new disc. Once I receive the console back I'll definitely start downloading my games to the HDD, I got the 120G one and never knew that I could download games like that. Thanks for the tip.