Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #131
dplax
Jack Burton

Default Re: Remember that Dutch comic about Mohamad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood View Post
Why can't I have my belief, when all you have is theory, and that's all you hold to?
In a certain sense science isn't that far from religion...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #132
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaradu View Post
You can't just say that without correcting me, throw me a bone.
Garde les yeux ouverts quand les missiles montaient tout droit au ciel = Keep your eyes open when the missiles were going straight up to the sky

What you were looking for is probably Garde les yeux ouverts quand les missiles montent tout droit au ciel.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #133
Lavindathar
Harper

You can have your beliefs, Im just saying, you don't even have the slightest shred of evidence.

We do.

Its like, if I said - I believe a 7 headed alien who breathed fire made the world with a click of his finger whilst wearing a skirt and talking in a scotish accent whilst doing a merry jig on one leg.

First thing you'd say is - "Ok, but why? Where is your proof?"

Where is yours Variol? Apart from a storybook created by the Romans to unite a world. And lets face it, I think even over 50% of the Christian believers admit the Bible is a load of bollocks and none of it ever happened.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #134
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaradu View Post
If you're willing to sacrifice seven minutes of your life, you'll never have to ask that question again.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbFerzjkz4
Lol! Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron; the "bananas proves creationism" and the "crocoduck".
Old 09-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #135
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Quote:
Why can't I have my belief, when all you have is theory, and that's all you hold to?
The difference between science and religion is that one is negotiable, the other isn't. I'm perfectly willing to change or alter my beliefs in light of new evidence, whereas a religious person is rewarded for doing the opposite, calling it "faith", and getting a big pat on the back.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #136
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplax View Post
Garde les yeux ouverts quand les missiles montaient tout droit au ciel = Keep your eyes open when the missiles were going straight up to the sky

What you were looking for is probably Garde les yeux ouverts quand les missiles montent tout droit au ciel.

Thanks. That's what you get when you try to combine two Noir Desir lines together when you're out of your depth.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #137
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion

Alright, I'm gonna make a quick appearance just to throw a couple of "truths" out there. First off, I don't think we have a good understanding of theory. I've seen both extremes here, from "guess" to "closest tot he truth in science." In actuallity, it is neither. The best established theories are Laws. These would be things like Newton's Laws and the Laws of thermodynamics. These are the best established "truths" in science, and while they still can't be considered absolutes, they're pretty dang good! Now a theory is somethjing that may someday become a law. It's not as well established, but still has a great deal of evidence supporting it. This has more or less been said, but I wanted to clarify it, for everyone. Therefore, referring to something in science as "just a theory" is not a very strong argument, but we should also not be referring to a theory as, (forgive the colloquialism), Gospel.
Sorry if that seemed like a bit of a rant, but it's one of my personal pet peeves.
All that being said, the discussion has really turned into one about evolution.
A friend of mine I've taken classes with has a Bachelor's degree in Biology and Chemistry, and he's been urging me to look into a website supporting creationism. I have serious doubts, but haven't really looked into it, yet. He's told me the gentlemen the website is based around is a multiple Phd holder and was one of the leading evolutionary theorists before.
As I said, this is all second hand so I can't endorse myself, but I find the ideas interesting. When I have time to look into it (after the MCAT), I'll check out the info myself and decide just how compelling I think it is. Here's the site: http://www.drdino.com/
You guys and gals take care!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #138
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Yup, models, not answers!
How would you define an answer, or to put it differentely, what would be required for you to accept abiogenesis or evolution? Is it just that they're models and theories, or that the evidence is not sufficient to convince you?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #139
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplax View Post
At least in the case of the French sentence I can easily spot the error.
That was the best post in this thread in some time! Funny,
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #140
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dron_Cah View Post
Alright, I'm gonna make a quick appearance just to throw a couple of "truths" out there. First off, I don't think we have a good understanding of theory. I've seen both extremes here, from "guess" to "closest tot he truth in science." In actuallity, it is neither. The best established theories are Laws. These would be things like Newton's Laws and the Laws of thermodynamics. These are the best established "truths" in science, and while they still can't be considered absolutes, they're pretty dang good! Now a theory is somethjing that may someday become a law. It's not as well established, but still has a great deal of evidence supporting it. This has more or less been said, but I wanted to clarify it, for everyone. Therefore, referring to something in science as "just a theory" is not a very strong argument, but we should also not be referring to a theory as, (forgive the colloquialism), Gospel.
Sorry if that seemed like a bit of a rant, but it's one of my personal pet peeves.
All that being said, the discussion has really turned into one about evolution.
A friend of mine I've taken classes with has a Bachelor's degree in Biology and Chemistry, and he's been urging me to look into a website supporting creationism. I have serious doubts, but haven't really looked into it, yet. He's told me the gentlemen the website is based around is a multiple Phd holder and was one of the leading evolutionary theorists before.
As I said, this is all second hand so I can't endorse myself, but I find the ideas interesting. When I have time to look into it (after the MCAT), I'll check out the info myself and decide just how compelling I think it is. Here's the site: http://www.drdino.com/
You guys and gals take care!
Kent "Dr. Dino" Hovind is one of the worst Creationists out there (well, he's not out there as he is currently in prison). Even other Creationists sometimes cringe at his arguments. He has a "PhD" in something called "Christian Education" which he recieved from an correspondence diploma mill called Patriot university.

ETA: I can't really fathom how a BSc in Biology, or any thinking person, can refer to Hovind.

ETA 2: As far as I know, Hovind have never been an "evolutionist" and certainly not a leading one. Are you sure you're friend wasn't just joking?

Last edited by Stratos; 09-08-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Closed Thread