Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 PM   #31
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Of course I only live here.
So do I, but unlike you I don't take any particular pride in coming from a country which is in most ways just a crap version of America. (To be fair, this only really applies to England. Scotland and Wales have retained a lot of their national character. England's greatest cultural contribution to the world in the last 50 years was football hooliganism).

[ 10-15-2004, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Dirty Meg ]
Old 10-15-2004, 01:55 PM   #32
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Of course I only live here.
So do I, but unlike you I don't take any particular pride in coming from a country which is in most ways just a crap version of America. (To be fair, this only really applies to England. Scotland and Wales have retained a lot of their national character. England's greatest cultural contribution to the world in the last 50 years was football hooliganism). [/QUOTE]You should try living in the country...we're still English there [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 02:08 PM   #33
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Dirty Meg; the greatest patriot who ever lived.

British homes can vary a lot... I can't really add a lot more, as it would echo a lot of what has been said.

My entire house is carpetted... a light 'beige' sort of colour. Except in the newly built conservatory where the flooring is wood - it seems to be the 'new thing'. The rooms are usually square or rectangular, with doors on the far end of a wall, rather than in the middle of a wall. The stairs to access upstairs are at the far end of the house and curve 90 degrees after 3 or 4 steps. There is no cellar/basement. Unlike many American homes where the attic is easily accessible via a slide down staircase, we have to open a shaft in the upstairs ceiling and poke a ladder up there. Doors are made of wood, except for doors which lead outside, which are made mostly of glass. Walls are decorated subtly - no bright reds or blues as these tend to 'invade' you and make the room seem smaller. We stick to calm colours like beige, white, or robin blue, for example. It's true, we hang up many pictures, paintings, photographs, souvenirs, etc. on the wall as it makes the rooms seem homely and gives the house personality and character. While our houses and rooms are not always the biggest in size, they are usually well thought out when it comes to architecture.

BTW, Gangrell has a good point - if this lil' argument doesn't stop, the thread will be locked and Spelca won't have had a lot of help. I suggest one of you should be the bigger man and back down, letting the other one make the last comment.

Hope I've contributed somewhat, Spelca! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 05:29 PM   #34
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Thanks all! This was really helpful! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Btw, which kind of cookers are the most common? Gas or electric? Somebody said that gas cookers are the most common, but I'd just like to check. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again!
Old 10-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #35
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
We used to have an electric one, but it was unreliable and frequently burned food... We switched to gas and have had no problems whatsoever. I believe that most people have gas as well.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:48 PM   #36
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

MY partner had used gas all her life, untill we bought an electric cooker, now she would never change back, as for the rest of the house, we have carpets in every room , except the kitchen, have nets on all windows, iron base/glass top dining table/coffee tables,Sue collects royal doulton/coalport figurenes, we have fresh flowers every week, I like my gadgets, so the house is not short of those, and we have 2 cd cabinets, which were purchased from IKEA
Old 10-15-2004, 08:53 PM   #37
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
iron base/glass top dining table/coffee tables
I used to have coffee and end tables like that, but after I kept falling into them, decided it was better to not have them around because I was so accident prone [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]