Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-29-2004, 05:47 PM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

For those of you who want to defend this little government monopoly, keep in mind that the USPS went to court arguing that Facsimile technology should *only* be available in post offices, and should be part of the postal monopoly. Well, boy-oh, didn't we miss out on another great government program there?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #12
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
The good that may come of this would be less mailings of bulk advertisements and credit card apps...which would save on paper consumption and save a few trees. That would mean more e-mail spam and pop-ups, but those can be deleted and only fills up a "virtual" trash can.
And Email-Spam is easy to ignore, if you use something like Mozilla Thunderbird which has an inbuilt, trainable, junk mail filter. Popups are no problem, realy. IE is the only browser that you still need a third-party program to stop popups with, and XP SP2 is MS's first step toward fixing that (although, it's popup blocker reportedly nowhere near as good as Opera's or Firefox's).
Old 11-29-2004, 08:28 PM   #13
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
IE is the only browser that you still need a third-party program to stop popups with
That's a strange statement seeing as how I've been able to stop popups without any third party programs in IE.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I wouldn't say I'm defending the monopoly, TL, although I was unaware of that issue being brought to court. What I'm considering is the cost of alternate sources for that service... until someone else can come up with a way to deliver mail across the country for 37 cents an ounce (or the proposed 41 cents).

IOW, don't argue about whether they should be raising or lowering the rates. Argue about what alternatives you have for that service. And do remember that bulk mailing (i.e. advertising) provides a lot of income to the USPS. Get rid of it, and you'll see the rates go up a lot more.

If someone else can come up with a way to provide the same service for a better price, then they'll be in business, and that independent government monopoly can bring it to the courts again.

Email has already taken out some of the USPS' income. People mail fewer letters, to the point where real letters are somehow more personal and exciting than the mass-market stuff. Somehow, I suspect that email will cover the next change as well.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:21 PM   #15
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
IE is the only browser that you still need a third-party program to stop popups with
That's a strange statement seeing as how I've been able to stop popups without any third party programs in IE. [/QUOTE]It has a mundane popup blocker inbuilt, but only with XP SP2.

[ 11-29-2004, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 AM   #16
Seraph
Quintesson

Well, I didn't know that, seeing as how I run 2000.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:35 AM   #17
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, you have me puzzled. Unless, do you have Javascript disabled?

EDIT: Running colours. I seem to be doing this alot lately...

[ 11-30-2004, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 11-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #18
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

I support the USPS. In my area they are prompt, courteous, reasonable, and have a very attractive and convenient building. There will always be a need to ship documents and items and I think the USPS does a fine job of it.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #19
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

i've never had a problem with the usps. everytime i go in they are friendly, courteous and ready to please. since i am usually running in right before closing that is surprising, usually people are fed up by then and watn customers to just go away. if stamps go up, they go up, if the other companies decide they can do it cheaper, great.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
Donut
Jack Burton

That's terrible news!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show