Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-12-2004, 11:36 PM   #11
DragonSlayer25
Drow Warrior

The larger ones sound like Hobo Spiders, and my little part of the US has recently had an infestation. As Lord Kathen may be able to verify, since he lives realitvly close to me, these little buggers are lightning fast, huge and have a very strong toxin. They are not indigenous to the NW US (OOh! gotta love those double abbreviations [img]smile.gif[/img] ) but came here in the shipping crates from Texas, where they are common, while shipping huge amounts of supplies for a recent windmill development out here. They have very few natural predators, as they are speedy and are just about inedible, as my cat can confirm. This allows for their numbers and larger size. My uncle had one in his boot and was bitten, which swole his foot up too big to fit in even a sock. They are a bigger threat than rattlesnakes now. LK might know more.

Also, if they are what they sound like, look for their fangs the look like "boxing gloves" all rolled up like they are going to punch something.

[ 09-12-2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: DragonSlayer25 ]
It\'s like a whole other world<br />Where you can smell the food<br />But you can\'t touch the silverware.<br /><br />[url]\"http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Porkmeister\" target=\"_blank\">http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Porkmeister</a>
Old 09-13-2004, 06:57 AM   #12
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Larry, forget whatever you have heard. I am pretty close to arachnaphobic myself and whenever we have a spider invasion I am a one man spider nightmare. Imagine if you will... a spider (probably non-poisenous but at this point I dont care) innocently spinning a web. Suddenly the Mission Impossable music starts in the background (blasted from my sterio).

From down the hall comes a figure, inhuman at first but then you recognise it... Shadowhound is on the hunt (normally when I say this women scream and run). Clasped in each hand is a can of spray, on his feet are thick boots for squishing things with 8 legs.

It never knew what hit it, spiders now avoid my house. One morning I even found a little sign attatched to a toothpick with a little warning to other spiders to stay away.

Women love me, Spiders Fear me

~Shadowhound
Hunter of spider, drinker of blood and a mean Goldeneye player to boot.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:46 AM   #13
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Lol...Hey thanks guys...I guess this is what I get from trying to get rid of my chipmunk. I put mothballs down all the holes that the rascal was making, and the smell was strong enough to scare away all the copper-head snakes. Two-form one good deal, right? Well...nope, because with the extermination of the poisonous snakes comes the infestation of crickets, and I suppose...big-ass spiders.

I shall buy a bee-bee gun, then.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:31 AM   #14
Arvon
Unicorn

Hey did you know that: on average you swallow seven spiders when you're asleep, during your life time. You may get more than the average...

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 09-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
quietman1920

Coming this Fall on NBC:

Michael Drow IS 'Knight-Drider'

"One Web Can Make A Differance"
Old 09-13-2004, 12:56 PM   #16
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Larry, you might want to look up those spiders (the brown recluse ones) online and see, because I'm told they are nothing to mess with if you do have them in your house!
Larry if you have these in your home, beware buddy. The brown recluse is the infamous arachnid of southern Indiana and from what I've seen, they can leave an acidic bite, and if left untreated, will leave a near permanent hole in your skin.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #17
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Don't go flipping out that you are infested with deadly spiders. I can feel the paranoia in the air already. The best way to keep away spiders is to keep away the things they prey on. Keep the house sprayed, keep the lawn treated and cut, don't turn on outside lights at night (if you need them, use bug-lights), keep shades closed at night, keep the brush down (especially next to the house), and use concrete patios instead of wood decks if possible. If you minimize places bugs can hide, you won't have as many. If you live right next to a woodline though, you're pretty much screwed. I had an upper/lower right on a woodline with an all night security light and orb-weaver spiders covered the house regardless of my efforts.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:12 PM   #18
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I have some pretty odd spiders too, on my house, and they seem to have only popped up this year as well. I have this really odd one, it's like flourescant orange, and it tried to bite my phone. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have brown ones too, with a diamondy shape on its back.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:36 AM   #19
Lucern
Quintesson

About those brown recluses, my mom was bitten by one a few years ago. She brought it to the attention of the doctor she works for within 12 hours, and whatever he gave her made it much less severe than it would have otherwise been. She had a bright blue/purple area 2 inches in diameter around the bite that's called "necrotic tissue", but she was fine. Even with relatively fast medical attention, that's an extremely poisonous venom.

I also wanted to challenge this:
"on average you swallow seven spiders when you're asleep, during your life time."

LoL I've heard this from three different sources (friends), all citing the same number. It's scary! I don't think there's a reason to be scared, though, because I'm not convinced it's true.

1) Spiders are scary to people, and I'm pretty sure there's some hard-wired fear of them like there is of snakes. The thought of them crawling on you when you're asleep is especially scary. Our jaw dropping at the perfect creepiness of the notion should make us suspect a hoax.

2) How would we ever know this? Aside from some hard fangs on large spiders, I bet we could digest (or pass through) every bit of it with no trace but a good 5 calories lol.

3)If this was true for every person, that'd be roughly 42 billion spider casualties every 60 years or so (whatever's average worldwide) just from inadvertant human consumption. Sure there's a lot of them...but I don't see that many instances of spiders confusing your mouth for a tunnel.

4) Do we ever hear a source for this? It sounds like the perfect urban legend.

I'm probably taking it way too seriously than anyone else, but I just keep hearing it! Of course it's possible. If so, it's a free 35 or so calories eh? I definately don't doubt that they might ocassionally crawl over our sleeping bodies (my mom was sleeping when she got bitten), which creeps me out a bit.