Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 11:41 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'm getting the feeling that evil spam may be on the rise again at Ironworks. Call it a gut feeling. Let me post my thoughts (and expectations) on this issue.

I know it's difficult to put a precise definition on what spam is. We all "sort of" know what it is. None of us can truly claim to be bipartisan when it comes to defining spam. Spam between people who know and like each other is not considered spam by them. Everyone talks crap to their friends now and then - it's how people bond together and develop friendships. But others who are outside that particular social/age group or don't find that particular brand of humor funny would probably find the spam either infantile, irritating, or childish.

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to be subjective when it comes to defining what is *good* spam or what is *bad* spam. I think that we draw the line at repetitive, nonsense posts, ESPECIALLY when they pollute other threads. With almost everything else we're quite lenient - as long as it's within the bounds of reasonability and people don't go over the top.

So I would just ask EVERYONE to:

• Moderate whatever spam they choose to do here.
  • For those who have to read it - be patient when it's obviously friends talking. Use your back button if you find it tiresome. Read another thread.
  • For those who are doing it - know when the joke has gone too far, and gracefully end it before it starts to head to places that none of us want it to. This is far and away the #1 PROBLEM with spam - some people just don't know when to stop.
  • When other people start to get annoyed, STOP. Just like that. No bollocks like complaining that other people are doing it too, denying it, or any of that shite.
  • Don't pollute other threads with it, especially on-topic threads. This is always how jokes turn sour.
In summary, moderate yourselves, and everyone has a good time, including moderators and admins. Saz and I want to be able to enjoy ourselves when we come here too, rather than feel like we're policing everyone like this was a kindergarten.
Finally, there's a difference between friendly spamming and trolling (provoking reactions from people). I can tell the difference between the two - and you all know what we do to trolls here at Ironworks.

[ 05-08-2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 05-08-2002, 11:46 AM   #2
Sigmar
Unicorn

But a little spam is still good for the soul, right?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:52 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Good and timely post, Mems.

Hmmm.. do I do any chattingspambtwnfriends....nah....

No worries, Memsykins... but uh... *psssssst!* does this mean you and I can't talk about that horrible addiction you have to pink things or my habit of ... ....

[ 05-08-2002, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-08-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I'm getting the feeling that evil spam may be on the rise again at Ironworks. Call it a gut feeling.
I felt the same way, that is why I posted about it.. You KNOW were old when we can just FEEL when it's about to get bad! [img]smile.gif[/img] And our guts are usually right!

Thanks for the post mem, and Tiamat-- I'm watching you!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-08-2002, 11:57 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

See, you guys are doing it already!!!

Just kidding, it doesn't bother me that much personally, just don't let it get out of control. Take on some of the responsibility of moderating yourselves, and we will all get along fine. Respect the rights of others - if anyone complains, be polite and stop. If there's a little voice inside your brain telling you that you're going too far with spamming, you probably are. Think of that little voice as me. [img]graemlins/knightsmile.gif[/img]

[ 05-08-2002, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 05-08-2002, 12:01 PM   #6
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
If there's a little voice inside your brain telling you that you're going too far with spamming, you probably are. Think of that little voice as me. [img]graemlins/knightsmile.gif[/img]
ARGH! Mario, get out of my brain!

After that scary thought, well I like a chat as much as the next person, but IMO there has been a lot of pretty nonsensical drivel around lately.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:14 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Fact: If the temptation of gaining a high rank in avatars exists, people like ****a* will always continue until they gain what they want or get in trouble for it.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:22 PM   #8
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Fact: If the temptation of gaining a high rank in avatars exists, people like ****a* will always continue until they gain what they want or get in trouble for it.
It's true, he has always admitted it wihout shame, even when he was in his G******s stage. He stopped for a while when he became ****a* but then he was ack to insane posts.
Old 05-08-2002, 12:23 PM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

And the next time I see this crap, they will get a NEW rank of "Welcomed New user" (1 post rank). So anyone spamming for a 'rank' WILL get a new rank, just not the one they thought they would get. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-08-2002, 12:51 PM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Ziroc has spoken. Be afraid...be VERY afraid. (Thanks, Z!)

And thanks, Memnoch, for a very timely post. It gets to the point it's almost impossible to keep up with every inane natter going on around the joint, and as I've always said, self-policing is the best way to go.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."